Salt sensitivity

We will be on the Grandeur in September. I have recently developed a high sensitivity to salt in my food making it unpleasant to eat a salty meal. Is there anyway that this can be addressed so that my meals  contain as little salt as possible. Also I can not tolerate any spicy food but that should be easier to avoid.

Thank you 

Send an email to specialrequests@rssc.com. They will make sure that's on your record. When you're on board, have a conversation with the restaurant desk, and possible the restaurant manager.

The chefs can be very liberal with salt. I once had to complain that my steamed rice was salted (!). It never hurts to tell the waiter No Salt every time you order. Things they make individually should be fine. Things made in batches, like soup, will be harder, but they'll do it if they can.

Regent is set up to accommodate a low salt diet at dinner if requested ahead. Each day, you receive the next day’s menu in your cabin to make your selections. 

At breakfast, you can order your eggs to be prepared without salt at the grill station day of. The day before, I also request avocado in La Veranda.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snorklelover said:

Thank you RELS  and kjbacon for the suggestions. I will put in a request. 

I forgot -- the (executive?) chef will offer to talk to you on your first day. You can use that opportunity to refine your requests. They usually call your suite with a time (I always miss the call :-P) for that meeting.

17 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Wow…I always find my meals on board bland due to lack of seasoning.  

"Seasoning" to me means a lot more than salt - I really enjoy herbs and spices in and on my food.  Especially when they have Indian items on the menu!  I often bring certain hot sauces from home but if I run out I can always get Sambal Oelek....a great spicy chili sauce always available in the Crew Mess.  Kinda like Indonesian/Filipino "ketchup." 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

"Seasoning" to me means a lot more than salt - I really enjoy herbs and spices in and on my food.  Especially when they have Indian items on the menu!  I often bring certain hot sauces from home but if I run out I can always get Sambal Oelek....a great spicy chili sauce always available in the Crew Mess.  Kinda like Indonesian/Filipino "ketchup." 😁

I totally agree.  I bring my own small tobasco bottles and garlic powder. 

8 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

I totally agree.  I bring my own small tobasco bottles and garlic powder. 

Great idea. We have a longer cruise in October so may take something with us.

DH gets spice/ Indian withdrawal on longer trips. 

• Like 2

No disrespect, but I'm trying to picture bringing garlic powder and tabasco into Compass Rose. 🙂 My experience in the past requesting less salt has not been good, but perhaps they handle special requests better now. My ankles always swelled after a couple of days onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Emdee I can't recommend a special Indian menu in Compass Rose highly enough. Just speak to the Restaurant manager or your butler and they will sort it out for you. Our best experiences have been with friends - a trivia team is the perfect number for a nice variety of food served 'family style' and a lovely sociable dinner.  (Not only Indian food either, but Indonesian and Filipino have been good too)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gilly said:

@Emdee I can't recommend a special Indian menu in Compass Rose highly enough. Just speak to the Restaurant manager or your butler and they will sort it out for you. Our best experiences have been with friends - a trivia team is the perfect number for a nice variety of food served 'family style' and a lovely sociable dinner.  (Not only Indian food either, but Indonesian and Filipino have been good too)

Thanks…we have ordered special Indian meals on Regent from time to time. When we were on the Explorer Sylvester actually called his mother in law to get the recipe for the chef to make and then took a pic with us and the food to send to his wife so she could see that the dish was actually made for Boxing Day! 
I will ask for Indonesian in August as we love that too. 
We find the need on the older ships as Explorer has Pacific Rim. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

No disrespect, but I'm trying to picture bringing garlic powder and tabasco into Compass Rose. 🙂 My experience in the past requesting less salt has not been good, but perhaps they handle special requests better now. My ankles always swelled after a couple of days onboard.

My tobasco bottles are individual serving..about 1 1/2 inches tall. Very discreet.  My garlic powder is in a tiny container..about 1 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch tall..also discreet.  I’ve asked for more seasoning in my food many times to no avail. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

You don't have to worry about being "discreet." No one will judge you...at least they haven't judged us...and some have asked to try ours, too.  Happy to share.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 5:32 PM, snorklelover said:

We will be on the Grandeur in September. I have recently developed a high sensitivity to salt in my food making it unpleasant to eat a salty meal. Is there anyway that this can be addressed so that my meals  contain as little salt as possible. Also I can not tolerate any spicy food but that should be easier to avoid.

Thank you 

They definitely can accomodate a low salt (or no salt) diet.  But the tragedy is that you won't be able to have one of the salt torpedo rolls.