If USPS Mishandles Your Medallion Shipment …

RLM77

Does anyone know what the procedure is if the Postal Service mishandles a medallion shipment?  Per the tracking number our medallions have been in the hands of a USPS “delivery partner” for two weeks now.  It’s getting late and I’m starting to think they won’t arrive in time (or at all).  Given the Postal Service’s track record I suspect we’re not the first to have experienced this.  If it happened to you, how did Princess handle it?

Thanks for your insights.

Rich

We've had several medallions shipped and every time the tracking history is ridiculous -- but we've gotten them in time.  They seem to sit around at multiple locations and the tracking just goes on and on, but so far we've gotten them in time.  We recently got them in time for our Alaska cruisetour that left 8 days prior to the cruise, and I was biting my nails towards our flight day -- but they showed up 2 days before we left.  

Worst case you'll get new ones at the terminal.  

• Like 2

@RLM77, if you do not receive your medallion, depending on the port, they may or may not make you your replacement medallion before you board. If the port facility does not have the capability of making medallion, they will issue you a ‘cruise card’, then once boarded, you proceed to Guest services where they will make your replacement medallion. This has happened to me and it is not too bad if you board early and avoid the usual long lines at Guest services on day1.

Do not worry about the ‘lost’ medallion. It only has your name, ship and sailing date, printed on the front. There is no other info ‘stored’ on the medallion, except an ID code that will be linked ‘on board’. 

Posted (edited)

This is our shipping right now. It takes about a week from China before USPS gets it. Sometimes we are sent the long number for tracking (like below) and sometimes just the USPS tracking.

Number: 42#############
Package status: In transit (6 Days)
2024-06-18 17:22 Domestic Air Cargo Termina,Shenzhen,China, Depart from facility to service provider.
2024-06-13 16:17 Domestic Air Cargo Termina,Shenzhen,China, Shipment arrived at facility and measured.
2024-06-13 16:17 Domestic Air Cargo Termina,Shenzhen,China, 4PX picked up shipment.
2024-06-13 16:17 Parcel information received
======================================
Powered by www.17track.net

Edited by dpalmquist

Came here to start this very same thread. Our medallions "arrived shipping partner facility, USPS awaiting item" the evening of June 8. We leave for Europe next week. It sounds like the holdup is with Princess, not USPS. 

I understand that I can always get them in the port, but I'm trying to make boarding as smooth as possible for one of our party who has trouble with traveling. To that end, I also called Princess yesterday to inquire about the earlier possible boarding time. They were very evasive. The ship leaves at 6p and our scheduled boarding time is 12p. Does anyone know if you can board earlier than that? This is out of Rome on 6/29.

@edub, boarding will depend on when the ship gets to zero count, but check the APP and it will give you the window for ‘check in’ time. You are no longer assigned a specific ‘window’ and can arrive anytime during this timeframe. Check the previous sailings arrival time into Rome. If it is early like 6-7am, you can arrive around 10am to check in. Remember the port for Rome is not close to the city, so allow transfer time, if you will be staying in the city center pre cruise.

At the Train station at the port there are bus shuttles you can get to your ship. Last time the fare was 3euro? Some transfer services from Rome can drive to your ship or they will drop you off at the port shuttle station, where you catch a free shuttle to your dock/ship for check in. 

Sounds like you have not boarded in Rome before, so I suggest you research info on the port and transportation.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wallyj said:

@RLM77, if you do not receive your medallion, depending on the port, they may or may not make you your replacement medallion before you board. If the port facility does not have the capability of making medallion, they will issue you a ‘cruise card’, then once boarded, you proceed to Guest services where they will make your replacement medallion. This has happened to me and it is not too bad if you board early and avoid the usual long lines at Guest services on day1.

Do not worry about the ‘lost’ medallion. It only has your name, ship and sailing date, printed on the front. There is no other info ‘stored’ on the medallion, except an ID code that will be linked ‘on board’. 

Thanks @Wallyj, very helpful info!  We are out of FLL on Enchanted.  My guess is that they are most likely able to make the medallions at the pier, but we’ll see.  Just needed to be sure that I don’t necessarily need to notify them in advance (though I might anyway).

For the other posters that suggested the problem might be on the Princess end, that does not seem likely.  The USPS tracking shows that it left a “shipping partner” location in CA back on June 5.  That is the last update thus far.  Even though we live on FL, it seems like it should have made it to somewhere in the East by now.  There is still a little time left for it to show up, but I’m frankly losing hope.

Rich

Edited by RLM77

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

@edub, boarding will depend on when the ship gets to zero count, but check the APP and it will give you the window for ‘check in’ time. You are no longer assigned a specific ‘window’ and can arrive anytime during this timeframe. Check the previous sailings arrival time into Rome. If it is early like 6-7am, you can arrive around 10am to check in. Remember the port for Rome is not close to the city, so allow transfer time, if you will be staying in the city center pre cruise.

At the Train station at the port there are bus shuttles you can get to your ship. Last time the fare was 3euro? Some transfer services from Rome can drive to your ship or they will drop you off at the port shuttle station, where you catch a free shuttle to your dock/ship for check in. 

Sounds like you have not boarded in Rome before, so I suggest you research info on the port and transportation.

Thanks so much. I have not boarded in Rome before. I booked a cab to pick us up at the hotel at 10a and take us to the port for around 11a, but I might change it to earlier.

I'm pretty sure that they do not "make medallions at the pier". I once had a dead medallion as we were attempting to embark on a cruise in Fort Lauderdale. They simply let me board with the caveat of the need to go directly to guest services. They took my medallion in "the back room" and about 2 minutes later out came a working medallion. I assume that they just programmed a new medallion and I was off and running. Maybe this was a one-off...but that's my experience in needing a new one. 

• Like 1

We arrived at Port Everglades (Blue Lane) and at check in they did not have our medallions.  It took an extra couple minutes and they printed us the old cruise cards to board with, and told us to check in at guest services on board and they would get us medallions.  Had to wait in line a few minutes at GS but got the medallions and on with the cruise.

We arrived at the Barcelona port a couple weeks ago at approx. 1045 with our medallions and entered the green line.  We saw people in the blue line who arrived at the same time get processed more quickly since their line was shorter.  Either way, the process took less than 10 minutes.  Easily the most efficient embarkation I have ever experienced.  Do not worry if you show up without your medallions!  

Slow mail service happened to us in 2021, we did a side by side cruise, Regal Princess on Nov 24 and Enchanted Princess on Nov 30. Our Regal medallions showed up two weeks before we left for FLL. The Enchanted medallions did a USA tour with 4-5 different USPS centers from CA-TX-NY-GA-SC and after 3 weeks in the US, arrived at our home on November 27 while we were on the Regal. Our daughter overnighted the medallions to our hotel in FLL and they arrived on the 29th. When we tried to board the Enchanted on the 30th, the medallions did not work. After a few minutes at the check-in counter, they gave us a card and said to go to customer service on board about the medallions.  Folks at customer service took our medallions to the "back room" and came back about 10 minutes later and the medallions were working. Not sure what they did, but is was not a problem. There were a few folks at the desk area with the same issue.

13 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm pretty sure that they do not "make medallions at the pier". I once had a dead medallion as we were attempting to embark on a cruise in Fort Lauderdale. They simply let me board with the caveat of the need to go directly to guest services. They took my medallion in "the back room" and about 2 minutes later out came a working medallion. I assume that they just programmed a new medallion and I was off and running. Maybe this was a one-off...but that's my experience in needing a new one. 

my kid's medallion stopped opening the cabin door 2 days into the cruise, and it took GS about a minute to make a new one for him (not counting the time in line, which at the time was less than 5 minutes).

I've always wondered what exactly they do in GS when it comes to medallions with dead batteries. If I had paid closer attention with my instance I would have noticed whether or not what they gave me back had my name and ship as they normally do, or whether it was "plain" which would indicate that I had received a different (but re-programed) medallion. If it had my name then that would mean they actually replace the batteries on board. Anybody noticed with a "new" medallion?

17 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've always wondered what exactly they do in GS when it comes to medallions with dead batteries. If I had paid closer attention with my instance I would have noticed whether or not what they gave me back had my name and ship as they normally do, or whether it was "plain" which would indicate that I had received a different (but re-programed) medallion. If it had my name then that would mean they actually replace the batteries on board. Anybody noticed with a "new" medallion?

the replacement medallion they gave me for my kid has his name and voyage info. Whether she printed a new one or replaced a battery is unknown.

48 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

the replacement medallion they gave me for my kid has his name and voyage info. Whether she printed a new one or replaced a battery is unknown.

They do not replace batteries, they make new ones.  The new ones will have the same info printed on them.  When my DH left his in a security bin coming back on board, GS gave him a new one and it had is info on it.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RLM77 said:

Thanks @Wallyj, very helpful info!  We are out of FLL on Enchanted.  My guess is that they are most likely able to make the medallions at the pier, but we’ll see.  Just needed to be sure that I don’t necessarily need to notify them in advance (though I might anyway).

For the other posters that suggested the problem might be on the Princess end, that does not seem likely.  The USPS tracking shows that it left a “shipping partner” location in CA back on June 5.  That is the last update thus far.  Even though we live on FL, it seems like it should have made it to somewhere in the East by now.  There is still a little time left for it to show up, but I’m frankly losing hope.

Rich

Guest Services on Enchanted have already remade both our medallions this week. Mine was DOA. Hers died on day 5. It took all of 3 minutes for a replacement this morning. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Guest Services on Enchanted have already remade both our medallions this week. Mine was DOA. Hers died on day 5. It took all of 3 minutes for a replacement this morning. 

super secret process or a youtube video out there on the dark web?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Thanks for the info.  I’m less concerned about not receiving them than I was, thanks to all of our new friends on CC.

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

super secret process or a youtube video out there on the dark web?

No line at GS. The lady’s name is Angel and she is one. 

Mrs BV’s replacement medallion works our door just fine. But getting on and off the ship, the readers go “donk” instead of “ding”. Then they ask if she has a new medallion and what her cabin number is. 

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I did. The person at GS services came out with my old one and the new one in her hand and gave me the new one.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Firefly74 said:

I did. The person at GS services came out with my old one and the new one in her hand and gave me the new one.

Same here. And the new one has my name, ship and sail date. And the right color. And took 3 minutes to produce. Having seen old and new in her hands, I know it wasn’t a battery replacement. 

• Thanks 1