Heathrow Airport to Southampton Hotel

We arrive to Heathrow the day before sailing. Can someone recommend the best options for transportation from airport to our hotel? Someone suggested International Friends but they only run the day of sailing, not the day before. I’m looking for a reputable shuttle or car service that won’t break the bank!

I've always used the National Express bus service, it's reasonable, then a taxi to my hotel from the bus station (not far or difficult).  It's a 2 hr. ride and $20.-$30, haven't taken it since 2019.  I've booked online at their website.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We used Aqua Cars last summer and they were great.  They even waited 4 hours for our delayed flight to arrive at no additional charge (which was lower than what we found when researching other car service companies).  There's always National Express Bus if you really want a budget option but nothing beats seeing a man with a sign with your name on it after you get off a long flight.

ETA:  Right after I wrote this I Googled Aqua Cars and pretty near the top were really scathing recent reviews from Trip Advisor.  Not sure if these were a few disgruntled people but I'd thoroughly check them out first.  They were fantastic last year but something may have changed.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

I've always used the National Express bus service, it's reasonable, then a taxi to my hotel from the bus station (not far or difficult).  It's a 2 hr. ride and $20.-$30, haven't taken it since 2019.  I've booked online at their website.

Its still £18 ($22 at current exchange rate). Short walk to my hotel -- Leonardo Royal Harbour Southampton. Shorter to last years Moxy, but that one was a little harder to find. Uber from Moxy to the ship was £5.98 according to my history on the uber app

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

Thanks, I’m not sure I want a bus/taxi combo… hoping for something from airport direct to hotel.

We used Paragon Taxis on June 1st to transfer from Heathrow Airport to our Southampton hotel the day before our cruise and had an excellent experience including booking, email correspondence, and prompt pickup at the airport. The car was clean and comfortable and our driver Adrian was an excellent driver. He offers transfers and transfer/tour combinations. We chose to do the transfer with Windsor Castle tour. You can check out reviews of Paragon Taxis on Trip Advisor.

https://paragontaxis.co.uk/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RDJ said:

We arrive to Heathrow the day before sailing. Can someone recommend the best options for transportation from airport to our hotel? Someone suggested International Friends but they only run the day of sailing, not the day before. I’m looking for a reputable shuttle or car service that won’t break the bank!

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

We used Aqua Cars last summer and they were great.  They even waited 4 hours for our delayed flight to arrive at no additional charge (which was lower than what we found when researching other car service companies).  There's always National Express Bus if you really want a budget option but nothing beats seeing a man with a sign with your name on it after you get off a long flight.

ETA:  Right after I wrote this I Googled Aqua Cars and pretty near the top were really scathing recent reviews from Trip Advisor.  Not sure if these were a few disgruntled people but I'd thoroughly check them out first.  They were fantastic last year but something may have changed.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to reserve a round trip LHR to Southampton  and after  the cruise  back to LHR  dos anyone knows   approximately the cost ? TIA 

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Blackberry Cars is also very good.

That's who we used last October.  The only issue we had is the driver parked a bit of a distance from the terminal and we had to walk about a 1000 feet to the car.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, SEA DOGY said:

I’m wondering if it’s possible to reserve a round trip LHR to Southampton  and after  the cruise  back to LHR  dos anyone knows   approximately the cost ? TIA 

I think Blackberry Cars does that but we never needed round trip.  I think when you fill out the form to reserve, they ask if it's one way or round trip.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, suzyed said:

I think Blackberry Cars does that but we never needed round trip.  I think when you fill out the form to reserve, they ask if it's one way or round trip.

Thank you 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SEA DOGY said:

One-way is about £130 to £150. Both ways usually results in a discount

JB 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 5:50 PM, RDJ said:

Although the International Friends site makes it look like they are designed only for sailing on departure day, you certainly could book them for the previous day. Last year my husband and I arrived at Heathrow in the evening 2 days before our cruise and the next morning took an International Friends bus from our Heathrow hotel to Stonehenge to Southampton.  This year we've booked their bus to pick us up at our London hotel the day before our cruise and drive us to our Southampton hotel.

4 hours ago, mommb said:

Although the International Friends site makes it look like they are designed only for sailing on departure day, you certainly could book them for the previous day. Last year my husband and I arrived at Heathrow in the evening 2 days before our cruise and the next morning took an International Friends bus from our Heathrow hotel to Stonehenge to Southampton.  This year we've booked their bus to pick us up at our London hotel the day before our cruise and drive us to our Southampton hotel.

I’ll have to check again, maybe I missed something as when I tried to before the date did not appear in the dropdown! 

We're looking to reserve Blackberry Car Service from LHR to Southhampton hotel a couple days prior to our cruise and need to get an idea of what time to have the driver meet us. I know there are many variables however on average how long does it take to get through customs / immigration at LHR? (first time at LHR for us) Our flight lands around 6:30 AM on a Saturday. Thanks in advance!

On 6/18/2024 at 10:50 PM, RDJ said:

A heads-up on International Friends' tour-transfers

(their coach tour-transfers are very popular, but IMHO their direct van transfers at £90 pp are over-priced)

Folk travelling to Southampton from central London & Heathrow hotels on the day before their sailing can book International Friends if they are servicing another ship on that day. Folk need to ask the driver to keep their luggage separate or it will be taking the wrong cruise 😮, they'll get dropped at the cruise terminal for that ship, collect their luggage from the driver, then take a taxi to their Southampton hotel

Here's  a list of this year's sailings

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Cruise lines served by International Friends are noted on their website

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html

But @RDJ they pick up from Heathrow hotels, not terminals

Their buses pick up quite early in the morning, and they are aware that aircraft sometimes arrive late and airport formalities can take longer than usual, so they don't encourage folk to risk missing the bus and wasting their money cos the coach won't wait and you'll not be refunded if you miss it..

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TJMK said:

We're looking to reserve Blackberry Car Service from LHR to Southhampton hotel a couple days prior to our cruise and need to get an idea of what time to have the driver meet us. I know there are many variables however on average how long does it take to get through customs / immigration at LHR? (first time at LHR for us) Our flight lands around 6:30 AM on a Saturday. Thanks in advance!

Immigration will depend on whether you’re eligible to use the automatic e-gates. If you have a biometric US passport and don’t have young kids with you you are, and you’ll typically be through in under 5 minutes. If you’re not eligible you’ll have to wait in line for an officer, which can mean a significant wait.

The other unknown is baggage reclaim. That can also take quite a while, or it can be very quick.

So all things considered I’d aim for 90 minutes after arrival time. Blackberry should track your flight so if it’s delayed or early they’ll know and hopefully adapt accordingly.

Edited by gumshoe958

90 mins as per @gumshoe958's post, or a little quicker.

Note the reference to biometric passports (a little box icon on the passport front cover that looks vaguely like a camera). The technology of the e-gates has been known to fail meaning that everyone has to join the line to present their passport to an officer but that's rare.

But transfer operators like Blackberry know far more than us and will be up to date on any hiccups. Usually telling them your flight number and scheduled arrival time will suffice.

They'll wait in the Arrivals Hall - behind the barriers at the exit from baggage & customs, or they'll tell you a less-crowded and more comfortable meeting point in that Hall.

Trading phone numbers with them is a good idea.

JB 🙂

Does anyone know what an Uber cost is from Heathrow to the Southampton area? Getting into Heathrow around 9am on a Thursday, staying at the Hilton at the Ageas bowl near Southampton

I will traveling with a 79 year old so trying not to deal with buses or trains with luggage.. 

sending off for quotes form some of the executive car companies now