2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Yep...we booked a few weeks ago.

Now that the CruiseFirst special is running again this week, I may be booking this sooner rather than later (at least 4 months out instead of 3). I have some homework to do.

I am trying to work on an 18-24 month retirement plan but the peer pressure you guys ( @Sugar Magnolia@graphicguy @schmoopie17) put on me to spend my money will have me working until I am 100 just so I can keep cruising!

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Now that the CruiseFirst special is running again this week, I may be booking this sooner rather than later (at least 4 months out instead of 3). I have some homework to do.

I am trying to work on an 18-24 month retirement plan but the peer pressure you guys ( @Sugar Magnolia@graphicguy @schmoopie17) put on me to spend my money will have me working until I am 100 just so I can keep cruising!

I don't see the problem.

• Haha 4

Just an FYI, I'll be booking this later rather than sooner.  I still have to get a surgery date (which they'll give me at an appt this coming July 8).  And, I really don't know how long this recovery is going to take.

Some tell me a few weeks.  Others tell me a few months.  I feel like Peter Pan right now and don't know when or if I'll grow up.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just an FYI, I'll be booking this later rather than sooner.  I still have to get a surgery date (which they'll give me at an appt this coming July 8).  And, I really don't know how long this recovery is going to take.

Some tell me a few weeks.  Others tell me a few months.  I feel like Peter Pan right now and don't know when or if I'll grow up.

Is it hip replacement?  If so, it depends on how the surgery is done.  The old way, cutting through the outer hip, will take months because of all the muscle that is cut and needing to heal.  The new way, going in from the groin, allows much quicker healing.  My mother had both hips replaced, both ways.  That is where my knowledge comes from.  It was amazing how quickly she recovered after the latter (and she is 84).  She was able to be on her own after about 2 weeks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Aging is an inevitable fact of life, neither you nor I can run away from it.  Shall we share the Geritol.  Hashbrown 😋 with steak & eggs ... no beans 😁

Collage_2024-07-01_12_35_48.thumb.jpg.62ee785f096c41b08a606dee1cd2d8b3.jpg

That's rubbing it in.  The steak, the eggs (only eat on cruise), and the retired.  Is that a defunct Olive Garden?

Ohh, and another thing you can add to your mobile C Store vest for the Cunard trip is some Poligrip.  Will sell well at a premium.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Travelicious said:

Is it hip replacement?  If so, it depends on how the surgery is done.  The old way, cutting through the outer hip, will take months because of all the muscle that is cut and needing to heal.  The new way, going in from the groin, allows much quicker healing.  My mother had both hips replaced, both ways.  That is where my knowledge comes from.  It was amazing how quickly she recovered after the latter (and she is 84).  She was able to be on her own after about 2 weeks.

Working those details out now.  Mostly, they won't know what more needs to be done until they get in there.  They've done MRIs, CT scans, x-rays....  Not sure how many more angles they need to see.

Goal is to be back in the saddle this Fall.  But, they (they...the medical folks) seem to think it's not up to me.  I beg to differ. 

I've actually been putting this off for a year.  Doc says it's up to me at this point and my tolerance for pain.  I'm getting there right now.  

Appreciate the "heads up"!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

@graphicguy You always seemed pretty "hip". Maybe you should think twice about getting it replaced. Don't want to lose that swagger.

On the bright side, it's not a knee replacement...considering all of the positive comments about your lower appendages. 😁

True.  Knees are worse from what I understand.

I think my swagger has become more of a peg leg gait recently.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Calling @justhappy and @vacation44. Yall gotta get onboard one of the 2025 voyages and #schmoopiefest2026!

I thought I heard my name?🧐

I’d love to join in the mayhem, but don’t know if the stars will align.

We have annual January cruise plans with friends we met 11 years ago while on a cruise.

I talked them into doing the Getaway this October since we missed out on January’s cruise at the last minute ~ remember her highness Miss Daisy?

And then we currently have the Getaway booked for next March during my birthday.

We have yet to determine this upcoming January cruise, I don’t know if we could convince them to do New Orleans again as they prefer sailing from Port Canaveral. We are meeting them next week for a short trip, I’ll bring it up to them.

Maybe they will love NO and the river aspect of the cruise.

On 6/19/2024 at 5:30 PM, complawyer said:

while of course all are welcome, these cruisers are people i would personally love to have along, you and mrs schmoopie, rocketman, traveling man, chiefmate jrk, cruiseny4life and husband, and of course bird travels.

by the way, the heck with a "group discount" i'm thinking bigger than that. we're all baby boomers, lets get the entire ship!!!!!

YEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

by the way, barb nahoumi, i think my idea for an oldies/doo wopp cruise has been kicked to the curb, people seem to prefer schmoopie's idea

Nothing saying you can't take over the DJ booth on a couple nights and play off those good ole oldies! I think I shared this with you before, but I'm actually a fan of Doo Wopp as that's what my Grandpa listened to. Not exactly Doo Wopp, but Ricky Nelson was pretty great back in the 50's too! 

DJ Comp in da house!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@complawyer I don't think any of the great ideas for fun loving oldies including your oldies/doo whopp themes, have been disqualified.  It's all good for me anyway. 

If @mking8288attends the Feb 6, 2025 version of #Schmoopiefest, being the technical wizard that he is, I'm sure he could rig up a karaoke/whatchamajigger machine in a lounge to crank out Doo Wop, or any music your heart desires.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

If @mking8288attends the Feb 6, 2025 version of #Schmoopiefest, being the technical wizard that he is, I'm sure he could rig up a karaoke/whatchamajigger machine in a lounge to crank out Doo Wop, or any music your heart desires.

I so agree with you @schmoopie17. This is really sounding like it's getting more and more fun for everyone.  Thanks so much for creating such fun loving event.  

• Like 1