Diamond Status Disappeared

resistk

Cunard North America claims they "lost" my Diamond status. Last time I cruised in 2020 I hit Diamond and now on a new booking they had no record of any previous cruises and took away my old World Club number.  When I contacted World Club, they claimed that the record is with Cunard UK (but I am a US person and never booked with Cunard UK).  Was this World Club data corrupted somehow since 2020?

Thank you for your email. It looks like your past loyalty is recorded on your UK account,  so we will need to reach out to them to collect it and apply it to your US account. Please bear with us while we work on this for you, and we will let you know when we have your loyalty here. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Cunard World Club

Cunard Line North America

@resistk, just as a sanity check, let's make sure the Cunard World Club number you have used in the past is in fact a North Anerican number and not a UK number. It doesn't seem likely you could have booked your previous cruises in North America using a UK number, but let's make sure.

Does the Cunard World Club number you've used in the past consist of 9 digits followed by a letter? If so it is indeed a North Anerica number. On the other hand, if it starts with a letter, it is probably a UK number.

Assuming we are able to verify that your previous Cunard World Club number is in the North America format, then what Cunard have told you about your previous World Club record being with the UK doesn't make sense to me. Cunard will need to explain why they can't find your previous activity on that North America number.

On the other hand, if it looks like you may have been using a Cunard World Club number in the UK format, that would explain the problem you are experiencing. Then the mystery becomes how you could have made North America bookings using a UK World Club number.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

@resistk, just as a sanity check, let's make sure the Cunard World Club number you have used in the past is in fact a North Anerican number and not a UK number. It doesn't seem likely you could have booked your previous cruises in North America using a UK number, but let's make sure.

Does the Cunard World Club number you've used in the past consist of 9 digits followed by a letter? If so it is indeed a North Anerica number. On the other hand, if it starts with a letter, it is probably a UK number.

Assuming we are able to verify that your previous Cunard World Club number is in the North America format, then what Cunard have told you about your previous World Club record being with the UK doesn't make sense to me. Cunard will need to explain why they can't find your previous activity on that North America number.

On the other hand, if it looks like you may have been using a Cunard World Club number in the UK format, that would explain the problem you are experiencing. Then the mystery becomes how you could have made North America bookings using a UK World Club number.

I wonder if they changed the format.  I booked my first (2nd 3rd & 4th) Cunard cruise last month and my Cunard World Club number has no letters at all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, napria said:

I wonder if they changed the format.  I booked my first (2nd 3rd & 4th) Cunard cruise last month and my Cunard World Club number has no letters at all.

That's very interesting. So is your Cunard World Club number nine digits (without a letter at the end)? Australia/New Zealand numbers have been ten digits without any letters.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That's very interesting. So is your Cunard World Club number nine digits (without a letter at the end)? Australia/New Zealand numbers have been ten digits without any letters.

I have always lived in the USA and had the number with a letter at the end. When I booked recently directly with Cunard using my USA debit card, the World Club number was reassigned to my wife who never cruised and I was purged from the system. I called customer service and was given this explanation which makes no sense and assigned a new Wolrd Club number with no status.  I sent Cunard my voyage record and receipt from last voyage and they claim the records are in the UK which makes no sense. I  live in the USA and could not have booked though the UK site and have usually booked through agents. I have voyage coming up July 8 and hope I get my status back.

Everything seemed Ok at first, except the welcome letter came from the UK and then the status disappeared altogether:

DEPARTURE DATE
07/08/2024

Your voyage on Queen Victoria

Dear Mr     , with your voyage just over the horizon, it’s time to start getting excited for the unforgettable moments that await you on board. To help prepare for your holiday, we’ll be sharing all the essential information you need before you sail over the coming weeks.

As a Diamond member of the Cunard World Club, you have additional benefits to enjoy on board. Explore your benefits below, and if you have any questions or concerns regarding your membership, please contact ukworld.club@cunard.co.uk.

• Like 1

I am glad I had future cruises print out my cruise records last time I sailed - without that proof I would have been in real trouble as there seems to be no way to bring up past crusies on cunard.com?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Mine is 10 digits with no letters. I'm in the U.S. We booked our first Cunard voyage in 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, resistk said:

I have always lived in the USA and had the number with a letter at the end. When I booked recently directly with Cunard using my USA debit card, the World Club number was reassigned to my wife who never cruised and I was purged from the system. I called customer service and was given this explanation which makes no sense and assigned a new Wolrd Club number with no status.  I sent Cunard my voyage record and receipt from last voyage and they claim the records are in the UK which makes no sense. I  live in the USA and could not have booked though the UK site and have usually booked through agents. I have voyage coming up July 8 and hope I get my status back.

Everything seemed Ok at first, except the welcome letter came from the UK and then the status disappeared altogether:

DEPARTURE DATE
07/08/2024

Your voyage on Queen Victoria

Dear Mr     , with your voyage just over the horizon, it’s time to start getting excited for the unforgettable moments that await you on board. To help prepare for your holiday, we’ll be sharing all the essential information you need before you sail over the coming weeks.

As a Diamond member of the Cunard World Club, you have additional benefits to enjoy on board. Explore your benefits below, and if you have any questions or concerns regarding your membership, please contact ukworld.club@cunard.co.uk.

All very strange indeed. I do hope you are eventually able to get this mess straightened out. I see no explanation other than a major screw up on Cunard's part. As we know Cunard IT can present challenges to put it mildly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

My husband and my Cunard World Cruise numbers are 10 digits.  No letters.

Maybe Cunard is changing their CWC number system and inadvertently purging some older numbers?  Just a guess.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Mine is 10 digits with no letters. I'm in the U.S. We booked our first Cunard voyage in 2020.

Mine is 9 digits with a B after the numbers. I think this goes back to giving couples the same number plus A or B. DH had the A number and mine is the same digits but followed by B. Our first crossing was 1988.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Posted (edited)

Mine is also a 9-digit number followed by the letter B.  I am in North America.  The rep at Cunard, when I booked the last cruise, was able to pull up my sailing history as I never was able to find it.  (The CWC number.)  She said they had been separated from my current booking but was able to combine them.

Having said that, whenever I try to log in at Cunard.com, it tells me that my CWC number is incorrect as there should be no letters.  Therefore, I cannot log in to view my status or to change some vital information.

When I look at my last boarding pass, it has a 12-digit barcode above my name, but no CWC number to match the alpha-numeric one I’ve been assigned.  Does anyone know if that could also be a CWC number?

I registered a new account and it told me that I don’t exist in the system.  (It said it would search for a match.)

I don’t yet have the energy to deal with a Help Desk to sort it out.  Maybe some day.  I hope you get it sorted @resistk!

Edited by *Miss G*

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

My World Club number dates from 2019 and is 10 digits.  I'm American and the cruise was booked through American travel agency.

3 hours ago, napria said:
2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Mine is 9 digits with a B after the numbers. I think this goes back to giving couples the same number plus A or B. DH had the A number and mine is the same digits but followed by B. Our first crossing was 1988.

Just a guess.

We were assigned a CWC number in the late 80's and still have the same without change.

Hope the Original Poster resolves the problem.

Ours is 9 digit with A & B for couple..

6 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

In the interest of science: My wife's is a different 10 digit number. The first 8 digits are the same, the last two are "...89" and "...96"

34 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

In the interest of science: My wife's is a different 10 digit number. The first 8 digits are the same, the last two are "...89" and "...96"

Thanks. This has we wondering if Cunard have implemented a system in North Anerica in the last several years which involves the addition of a check digit (rather than a letter suffix) to a base nine-digit number. That would explain why your two CWC numbers are sequential nine-digit numbers (ending in 8 and 9) followed by a tenth digit which might serve as a check digit to confirm the validity of the numbers.

Just a theory. I would need several examples of real ten-digit CWC numbers for North America to test that theory. Of course I couldn't ask anyone here to divulge their CWC numbers for security reasons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

just to confuse it blue marble, my number is Australia/New Zealand with 9 letters and a letter at the end and was issued in the 90s

12 minutes ago, roscoe39 said:

just to confuse it blue marble, my number is Australia/New Zealand with 9 letters and a letter at the end and was issued in the 90s

Thanks, Roscoe. I tried, apparently in vain, last year to document the CWC number formats for each region. I thought I had previously read Australia/New Zealand numbers were as you described (the same format as my 2005 North America CWC number with nine digits and a letter). But then I heard Australia/New Zealand CWC numbers were ten digits.

So it now appears the formats for both Australia/New Zealand and North America CWC numbers probably depend on when the numbers were issued. Perhaps both regions started using the ten digit format about the same time a few years ago.

1 minute ago, bluemarble said:

Thanks, Roscoe.

think you are right, when I was first issued a number the Aust/NZ market wasn't as big and the regions were not as divided as they seem to be now. That having said, a couple of times over the years when I have booked through a US agent and once through a UK agent the US number wa different and had to be amalgamated with my original number and the UK booking didn't.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

And for added confusion, mine (UK, issued in the 2010s) is eight characters - two letters, five numbers, one letter.

Our first world Club numbers, issued in 1990s, were ten digits, then quite soon they were changed to two letters, five digits, and another letter. (UK)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Our first world Club numbers, issued in 1990s, were ten digits, then quite soon they were changed to two letters, five digits, and another letter. (UK)

I think I'm in this category, however in my case it was 10 characters rather than digits, the first 2 being CU for Cunard or maybe Cunard UK. So mine started off as something like CURQ12345A. This then got changed to RQ12345A as an example, and that's what is in use today. I believe there were some other pairs of start characters (CF for France I've seen).

I can throw a little light onto why this all happened. Back in 2018 the decision was taken by Carnival to integrate the then 4 main CWC platforms for UK+Ireland, USA, Australasia, mainland Europe. This integration was to be done to make it sit on the same platform as P&O UK (and maybe P&O Australia). Two fleets, two loyalty schemes, one system.

Around 2019, 2020 the first stage to this had happened, and CU got knocked off UK and Ireland, and there were multiple steps to complete the process for the rest of the world. However the pandemic struck, Carnival was in serious trouble and in danger of going bankrupt. This led to the decision to stop all unnecessary spend and all capex funded projects, so the coding was stopped mid-flow, leaving the mess that we have today. Carnival now seems to be incrementally improving this unfunished business, first switching on the Loyalty tab for UK+Ireland, and then for other parts of the CWC world.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Sorry I miscounted. The original number was nine digits.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 10:44 PM, bluemarble said:

A lot going on about nothing. I am Australian Diamond Member for well over 10 years. Same number, 9 digits and one letter (10). Current voyage booked number recognised. Check with Cunard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1