Volendam - lanai cabins

Thinking about choosing one of these cabins for upcoming cruise - is there much noise from folks walking on the deck? The description says folks on deck cannot see in - did it feel odd to have the drapes open and folks walking by? Thanks!

We enjoyed a lanai ONCE.. 

Not much noise from folks walking around. Folks can't see into your cabin until the sun goes down. People enjoy standing along the rails outside. You have your own 2 personal deck chairs. There's a sign saying it's for the lanai cabin, but there were multiple times we came out and had to ask people to move so we could sit. There's a weird way you have to reopen your outside cabin door. I propped a shoe in the door.

0716191108a_HDR.thumb.jpg.35d28c69cb64b29a8410b3dbd19e0a00.jpg

• Like 4

I had one once on Veendam and loved it. I didn’t care if people could see me reading on the sofa inside. (If I went outside on my steamer they would see me….). I just made sure the drapes were closed when I changed or went to bed. 

• Like 2

I was just in one of these cabins for a Canada cruise.  I didn't hear any noise. Being able to go straight outside was great!  The only problem is that the door is VERY hard (heavy)  to open.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sunseeker810 said:

I was just in one of these cabins for a Canada cruise.  I didn't hear any noise. Being able to go straight outside was great!  The only problem is that the door is VERY hard (heavy)  to open.

Several people switched out of the aft lanais on the 24 GANZ due to galley noise. You may not have been back far enough. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lyn2005 said:

Smaller than which room?

All of the rooms on the Promenade (not the interiors) are smaller as to give room for the promenade.  I prefer them as I spend a lot of time on the promenade.   The lanais are a bit too pricey for my tastes, one can just as well get an OV which is the same size and on the promenade.  The promenade is perfect for glacier viewing. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Lyn2005 said:

Oh OK. We have a lanai room booked.  I was pretty sure it's the same size as the Oceanview on the same floor.

They are the same size except for a few aft OVs are a bit larger.  Some of the insides are pretty large also. I like the view but it is also a very sociable deck to be on plus you are close to the dining room , lounges,theater and shops 

Edited by Mary229

On 6/20/2024 at 6:18 PM, suec12 said:

Thinking about choosing one of these cabins for upcoming cruise - is there much noise from folks walking on the deck? The description says folks on deck cannot see in - did it feel odd to have the drapes open and folks walking by? Thanks!

I was uncomfortable. They can see in at night if the lights are on as far as I know. That's what I heard  but I'm not sure, I kept the drapes closed.

3 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

I was uncomfortable. They can see in at night if the lights are on as far as I know. That's what I heard  but I'm not sure, I kept the drapes closed.

From our experience years ago, at night, with the lights on in the cabin people can see in the cabin unless the drapes are closed. Daytime not possible to see in the cabins.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

We tested it when we had a lanai and could not see in. I would only leave them open if I was dressed.   I guess if someone pressed their nose to the glass they could see in

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1