Sail out of Miami, but hate Miami airport.

Ok, I need suggestions.

Fly into Fort Lauderdale?

Uber to Miami hotel? Cost?

Stay in Fort Lauderdale? Uber the morning of trip to Miami port? 

Is any of this doable? 

I just cannot stand Miami airport so really need to try something else. 

Ideas, suggestions, please. Thanks!

All of this is discussed here regularly, its doable. Yes, you can fly into FLL and Uber to Miami. If you check the Uber website, there is an estimator feature.

As frequently mentioned here, Ft Lauderdale is generally cheaper in the hotel rates.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

All of this is discussed here regularly, its doable. Yes, you can fly into FLL and Uber to Miami. If you check the Uber website, there is an estimator feature.

As frequently mentioned here, Ft Lauderdale is generally cheaper in the hotel rates.

Then let's discuss some more.

Recent experience? Hotel recommendations? Pro's and Cons of flying in to Fort Lauderdale and staying there overnight and then Uber to Miami port the morning of? 

• Like 1

I am staying in Ft Lauderdale and using SAS to get to POM in April. Did the same back in 2016. Granted, we are staying 2 nights for a little sight seeing, but I'd still do that. Will probably fly home from MIA to keep from arriving home late at night since it will be a Sunday, and my sis will have to drive a couple hours from my house, which will take up an hour at least from landing to arriving at my house.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

https://www.ridesas.com/

You can use this shuttle service to and from Ft. Lauderdale hotels to the port of Miami for $15 per person. They have a list of the hotels in Ft. Lauderdale that they pick up from. This should be cheaper than an Uber.

Thank you for the recommendation.  We have done this many times but have always used Uber.   We like the Dania Beach hotels and found many listed on the pickup list.  Can you tell me how early the pickup and drop off is with SAS?   We find it is important to leave 9:30-10:30am to avoid traffic delays to Miami.  We usually have priority early boarding.   Thank you for your help. 

Fly into Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach. Fort Lauderdale to Miami takes around forty five minutes and West Palm Beach to Miami is around two hours. SAS Transportation is a great shuttle company that serves many hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area. Uber or Lyft is another option regarding either For Lauderdale or West Palm Beach.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I always use Fort Lauderdale airport for all cruises out of Miami.  Use rideshare to POM but I use Carnival shuttle back because I dislike the debark chaos trying to find my white Kia uber and as a solo, it is cheaper.  

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why so much hate for MIA?

Look how much hassle you're subjecting yourself to just to avoid it.

Not sure where you live but American Airlines with their hub there is the only bad part of Miami International Airport. If you fly some other carrier, getting into and out of MIA is usually quite simple.

In my opinion.

2 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Why so much hate for MIA?

Look how much hassle you're subjecting yourself to just to avoid it.

Not sure where you live but American Airlines with their hub there is the only bad part of Miami International Airport. If you fly some other carrier, getting into and out of MIA is usually quite simple.

In my opinion.

Honestly, I felt like the airport was a sewer. Even the taps on the sinks in the bathroom were 40 years old. 

Only 2 security lines with only 2 x-ray machines. This was between 9am and 1pm on a Saturday morning. It wasn't like there were even other lines and machines they could open, that was it. 

They wouldn't let anyone check bags and get on line for security till you were under 2 hours from departure. Claiming no room under terminal for all the bags. So arriving at 10am after cruise for a 2pm flight and still was late to the gate. Wasn't allowed to check in and get on security line till after 12 noon. The line took 1 hour and 25 minutes. Flight boards 50 minutes in advance. 

There are no sit down restaurants in the terminal we used. Only one hot dog place. No shops. Nothing nice if you have time to kill.

It literally was the most run down pathetic dump of an airport I have ever seen. 

All my cruise options have me waiting till afternoon for a return flight. There is nothing to sit at like sit down restaurants etc to kill time and eat slowly. Besides, they won't let you check in and get on security line till under 2 hours. And there is nothing pre security, not even seats. One row of six seats pre check in for tens of thousands.

Never, ever again. It's Fort Lauderdale or Orlando and I drive down once we land. Worst airport experience of my life. I've past 55yrs and seen many airports, so that's saying something. Not my first rodeo. Only because I really want to try Beyond am I doing Miami. Orlando/Port Canaveral is so much cleaner and easier. 

Miami airport is on every top 5 worst airport list I've since been able to find. A Chili's would have classed it up. But that looks like the impossible dream there. The restroom was 1970s at best. I've seen nicer bus stations. Just never again. 

• Like 3

Sounds like you're describing the Delta terminal at FLL.   Can't check bags more than 2 hours before flight.  Hardly anywhere to sit.  Just a couple food options and a new stand.  

22 hours ago, DennysDad said:

We were flying Delta, whatever hell hole gate area that is. FYI.

Thanks for the explanation; now I understand.

I've flown Cayman Airways out of MIA and what you describe sounds like the airside where they fly from. Once you clear security and take the automated tram out to their airside, that sounds like what you describe. Virtually nothing out there.

Not sure when you last flew DL from Miami but their gates are all brand new with lots of shops and dining choices. I was through there as recently as this past March. I think it's in Terminal H. Have never encountered a 2-hr check-in limit on any airline I've flown from Miami.

We dislike Miami airport also but I don’t think it is as bad as it used to be . We  fly to either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale which ever one is cheaper , we fly first class and sometimes there is a big difference, Uber with tip is about a hundred for Uber XL , need extra legroom.

5 hours ago, George C said:

We dislike Miami airport also but I don’t think it is as bad as it used to be . We  fly to either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale which ever one is cheaper , we fly first class and sometimes there is a big difference, Uber with tip is about a hundred for Uber XL , need extra legroom.

We chose to fly to MIA  because it is the only airport we could book a non-stop flights.  Even then we must drive two hours to Nashville.  

• Like 1

I remember my first cruise, preTSA, where cruise shuttles had a separate check in.  People were pulling liquor bottles out of checked bags to lower the weight and stuffed them in carryons.  

50 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We chose to fly to MIA  because it is the only airport we could book a non-stop flights.  Even then we must drive two hours to Nashville.  

We are lucky DFW has lots of direct flights to most Florida cities we just pick the most convenient time and price . When we visited Kentucky a few months ago we had direct flight there but had to change to get to Miami.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, George C said:

We are lucky DFW has lots of direct flights to most Florida cities we just pick the most convenient time and price . When we visited Kentucky a few months ago we had direct flight there but had to change to get to Miami.

There's a saying here in North Alabama that in order to go to Hell, you have to change planes in Atlanta.  BTW, Atlanta is a four hour drive.

I've flown many many times through DFW.   I can remember when Love Field was the big Dallas airport.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 10:59 PM, DennysDad said:

Then let's discuss some more.

Recent experience? Hotel recommendations? Pro's and Cons of flying in to Fort Lauderdale and staying there overnight and then Uber to Miami port the morning of? 

February of this  year -- flew to FLL, stayed overnight at the Marriott Fort Lauderdale Airport, took Lyft XL the next morning to Port of Miami.  Travel time was about 40 minutes and cost was $80 with tip.  

Return back direct to FLL airport was Lyft XL, $100 with tip and took again about 40 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Oct I flew Southwest from Clev to FLL for $59 - stayed w/ friend overnight- went back to fll- took Carnival shuttle to Mia port- $36- took Carnival shuttle back to Mia airport  for $22- tsa took 10 min max - was at Spirit gate in 15 min- as a single female - I felt very safe  taking the Carnival shuttles- highly recommend them if you are traveling solo- however I would not recommend Spirit (but that's another story!!!)-

• Haha 2