New restrictions on easyair?

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Sounds like not a glitch 😞 

Makes panning a river cruise before an ocean cruise with Princess air difficult now. It would be great if they allow exceptions for a minimal fee, like they use to charge for air deviations, but I doubt that is an option. Maybe a compromise would be to make people buy the tickets and ticket them within 60 days before departure or something that can satisfy the consolidator, the cruise lines and the passenger.

Does the river cruise have air options?

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Me 🖐 my closest airport is OAK but I will either fly in / out of SFO or LAX. SFO is not the closest airport and logistically LAX is either a 6 hr drive away OR a 1.5 flight OR heading out from a kids house

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We’ve done this a couple of times, but not since 2019, both times involving Honolulu instead of our home airport. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences…my problem is likely due to being a US resident & attempting to fly from Australia to NZ. When attempting to input Brisbane as our departure city, we only get these airports which I think are all in the US.

image.png.8a0610ff660d0e9a8dd0da9dd129b5b0.png

I understand that this change will cause problems for some folks but my guess is that fewer than 1% of cruisers are interested in coming in either more than 5 days ahead or staying more than 5 days after. Possibly a larger percentage for those flying halfway round the world for their trip.  The change was probably implemented to simplify the booking process.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences…my problem is likely due to being a US resident & attempting to fly from Australia to NZ. When attempting to input Brisbane as our departure city, we only get these airports which I think are all in the US.

image.png.8a0610ff660d0e9a8dd0da9dd129b5b0.png

Definitely not a citizenship/resident issue.  We have done it in the past using our CVP but have found it less expensive to book direct with the airline.   Watch the airline you book with and baggage limits.  

24 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Definitely not a citizenship/resident issue.  We have done it in the past using our CVP but have found it less expensive to book direct with the airline.   Watch the airline you book with and baggage limits.  

Thanks…good to know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PR-Texas said:

I understand that this change will cause problems for some folks but my guess is that fewer than 1% of cruisers are interested in coming in either more than 5 days ahead or staying more than 5 days after. Possibly a larger percentage for those flying halfway round the world for their trip.  The change was probably implemented to simplify the booking process.

I agree completely.  But reading this forum, most posters seem to believe that they represent 99% of cruisers. 🙂

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, phabric said:

I check my flights daily in the morning.  They must have changed sometime on Friday June 21.

I have B2B cruises with 2 booking # - Vancouver-San Francisco and San Francisco-San Francisco.  On the app, shows as 1 cruise so must be linked.  Paid final payment for both cruises/flights.

I booked EzAir flights on day they are available, with 1 day pre cruise and 1 day post cruise. Flights Toronto-Vancouver and San Francisco-Toronto under 1 booking #.

Now, can only book 5 pre and 5 post cruise for the first cruise. Cannot book 2 cruise under the first cruise as before.

Now, 2 cruise only shows booking for the 2 cruise and cannot change airports.

Now, instead of booking myself, would have to get agent or call in to book.

Limiting airports too? That would argue against it having anything to do with the prior sailing. 

18 hours ago, canadarocks said:

This doesn't bode well..... I had both departure and return flights reserved on the 1st leg of our B2B, which obviously has a return flight far past the 5 day limit and this is what is coming up when I go to Manage Your Flights

Screen Shot 2024-06-22 at 12.28.57 PM.png

Yeah this move is pretty short sighted when considering all the b2bs and inter-porting in Europe. Maybe you could change your booking to make it ino a single 14 day sailing instead of 2 sailings of 7-days?

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Does the river cruise have air options?

Yes. Each line is different. Some of them have very little discounts and others are difficult to work with. I guess sort of like cruise lines. A lot of it is verbal exchange and doesn't have a website like EZ Air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I agree completely.  But reading this forum, most posters seem to believe that they represent 99% of cruisers. 🙂

The above quote was in response to PR-Texas who said:

"I understand that this change will cause problems for some folks but my guess is that fewer than 1% of cruisers are interested in coming in either more than 5 days ahead or staying more than 5 days after. Possibly a larger percentage for those flying halfway round the world for their trip.  The change was probably implemented to simplify the booking process." (italic emphasis added)

To both "2 cruises a year" and PR-Texas" I must say that based on my own personal experience and the rather wide circle of cruisers I have met and befriended over 25 years of frequent cruising with Princess (and 35 years of cruising altogether), the percentage is actually very high.

True, that for just Caribbean or California Coastal cruises, 5 days may be unlikely.  However, even there, it's not unheard of -- as many people do take advantage of some time exploring/enjoying Florida (eg., Disney World, the Keys) or California (eg., Napa Valley, Big Sur, Yosemite, etc.) in conjunction with their cruises.

But -- for Transatlantic, Transpacific, Southeast Asia/Japan, Australia/New Zealand, European (Mediterranean, Baltic, UK), and Voyage of the Glaciers Alaska cruises, people generally want to spend some significant time in their embarkation (or disembarkation) locales and when long-haul flights are involved, you can lose as much as 2 days (of the 5 days allocated) just getting to the destination. Further, the 5 day time limitation also limits the number of options for long-haul flights because many airlines do not fly overseas routes on a daily basis, but maybe only 2 or 3 times each week. 

So the way I see it: this move by Princess (and it seems most, if not all, of the CCL brands), does not in any way benefit customers/passengers. Nor does it actually save Princess any labor challenges -- as some have opined on this board. All I see it accomplishing is decreasing the supply of available flights, increasing the demand for those limited number of flights, and, therefore, increasing flight fares (for which, Princess acting as a consolidator/travel agent will get a healthier cut). Surprise, surprise.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:
The above quote was in response to PR-Texas who said:

"I understand that this change will cause problems for some folks but my guess is that fewer than 1% of cruisers are interested in coming in either more than 5 days ahead or staying more than 5 days after. Possibly a larger percentage for those flying halfway round the world for their trip.  The change was probably implemented to simplify the booking process." (italic emphasis added)

To both "2 cruises a year" and PR-Texas" I must say that based on my own personal experience and the rather wide circle of cruisers I have met and befriended over 25 years of frequent cruising with Princess (and 35 years of cruising altogether), the percentage is actually very high.

True, that for just Caribbean or California Coastal cruises, 5 days may be unlikely.  However, even there, it's not unheard of -- as many people do take advantage of some time exploring/enjoying Florida (eg., Disney World, the Keys) or California (eg., Napa Valley, Big Sur, Yosemite, etc.) in conjunction with their cruises.

But -- for Transatlantic, Transpacific, Southeast Asia/Japan, Australia/New Zealand, European (Mediterranean, Baltic, UK), and Voyage of the Glaciers Alaska cruises, people generally want to spend some significant time in their embarkation (or disembarkation) locales and when long-haul flights are involved, you can lose as much as 2 days (of the 5 days allocated) just getting to the destination. Further, the 5 day time limitation also limits the number of options for long-haul flights because many airlines do not fly overseas routes on a daily basis, but maybe only 2 or 3 times each week. 

So the way I see it: this move by Princess (and it seems most, if not all, of the CCL brands), does not in any way benefit customers/passengers. Nor does it actually save Princess any labor challenges -- as some have opined on this board. All I see it accomplishing is decreasing the supply of available flights, increasing the demand for those limited number of flights, and, therefore, increasing flight fares (for which, Princess acting as a consolidator/travel agent will get a healthier cut). Surprise, surprise.

I could not agree more. We would never consider traveling across the world for a cruise and not extend the trip with lengthy stay time before or after the voyage and agree many do this. If Princess is choosing to not allow it we’ll either a) choose not to cruise with Princess (or others who do the same) but take more land based trips or b) buy airline tickets elsewhere and give other sites our $’s for doing so. 

We took a break from Princess the last year or so after so much frustration over diluting of value and have taken 3 overseas land based trips and throughly enjoyed the break. We’re trying to ease back into travel with them but are not liking what we’re seeing. It wouldn’t take much for us to give up cruising at least we’re unable to travel independently. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

I could not agree more. We would never consider traveling across the world for a cruise and not extend the trip with lengthy stay time before or after the voyage and agree many do this. If Princess is choosing to not allow it we’ll either a) choose not to cruise with Princess (or others who do the same) but take more land based trips or b) buy airline tickets elsewhere and give other sites our $’s for doing so. 

We took a break from Princess the last year or so after so much frustration over diluting of value and have taken 3 overseas land based trips and throughly enjoyed the break. We’re trying to ease back into travel with them but are not liking what we’re seeing. It wouldn’t take much for us to give up cruising at least we’re unable to travel independently. 

100%.

Oh, Princess, why are you making it so difficult for me to stay loyal. This is another reason for me to look elsewhere. I love EZ Air and usually book it any time we sail Princess. We always do a few days pre-cruise at a minimum, but usually 5-7 days. I have a booking next July for a TA from Southampton to Boston - planned on extending both ends a minumum of a week as we have family in both places. I've been waiting on EZ Air opening up...looks like that's a bust now. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Oh, Princess, why are you making it so difficult for me to stay loyal. This is another reason for me to look elsewhere. I love EZ Air and usually book it any time we sail Princess. We always do a few days pre-cruise at a minimum, but usually 5-7 days. I have a booking next July for a TA from Southampton to Boston - planned on extending both ends a minumum of a week as we have family in both places. I've been waiting on EZ Air opening up...looks like that's a bust now. 

and when EZair completely goes away???? - will people stop booking Princess?

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

and when EZair completely goes away???? - will people stop booking Princess?

Is it going away? It wouldn't stop me booking Princess, but it would certainly make me consider other lines that did offer airfare. Princess was always a first choice for me - not any longer...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Is it going away? It wouldn't stop me booking Princess, but it would certainly make me consider other lines that did offer airfare. Princess was always a first choice for me - not any longer...

oh, I have no clue ... obviously 

Does Princess make much on ezair? or just the way to get passengers to the ports cheaper?

4 hours ago, tothemall&beyond said:

you can lose as much as 2 days (of the 5 days allocated) just getting to the destination

Thankfully for our US to OZ flight they are using the arrival date & not the departure date.

Our cruise is on a Monday & we fly on a Tuesday & due to crossing the international dateline do not arrive until Thursday (20 hours via NZ)…4 days before our cruise.

• Like 4

This 5 day limit is really bad.   Yes, in the past on Europe cruises, we've come in 5 nights early which would still be allowed, but our last time in Europe we stayed on 10 more nights before flying home.

Even on our most recent cruise to Antarctica, we flew in 2 nights early (still allowed), but after the cruise spent 3 nights up at Iguazu Falls, then 3 more nights in Buenos Aires.     For flying all the way to S. America, staying an extra 6 nights is not asking a lot.   But, would no longer be allowed it seems.

We don't always use EZair - sometimes use points or just book direct with the airline -- but we've used it often enough that this restriction pinches.

Wish we understood the reason.    I have to agree that when no reason is given, the guesses that it somehow benefits PCL financially seems a safe bet.

😞

Mary

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

I find it strange that nothing has been communicated about this. I even checked on the TA resources in case I had missed it, but the language is all still the same. 

You are surprised? From what I can tell - travel agents are the last to find things out! 😈

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Oh, Princess, why are you making it so difficult for me to stay loyal. This is another reason for me to look elsewhere.

Another reason for me is the double cruise credits & days for those who book bundles.

To quote Padgett from the Princess news release, those are his most valued guests who might cruise infrequently with a bundle and not those who loyally cruise on Princess frequently without a bundle…we’re less valued to him.

"The Loyalty Accelerator Program gives our most valued guests even more reasons to sail with our industry-leading bundles."

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Another reason for me is the double cruise credits & days for those who book bundles.

To quote Padgett from the Princess news release, those are his most valued guests who might cruise infrequently with a bundle and not those who loyally cruise on Princess frequently without a bundle…we’re less valued to him.

"The Loyalty Accelerator Program gives our most valued guests even more reasons to sail with our industry-leading bundles."

He is going for high profit margin cruisers. If one is infrequent, they tend to spend more and just blow it off.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I find it strange that nothing has been communicated about this. I even checked on the TA resources in case I had missed it, but the language is all still the same. 

This is just one more example where no one knows the benefit is being lost until you stumble on it while trying to book or when onboard even. Just one more example of really poor business practices that just make us shake our heads in disbelief. Why does the management of Princess or carnival find it so difficult to communicate with customers a coming change or heaven forbid they try to explain the rational behind the decision.
We’ve seen they can communicate the heck out of the “65% savings” for the drink packages every time I open an email or webpage of theirs so they know how to do it but they choose not to on things like this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Especially after an eastbound transatlantic. Who wants to run to the airport and fly right back home from the ship after spending all that time getting to Europe?

• Like 2