Quick Ascent Question...

I'm looking into cruises for January 2026 and the 11 Night Best of Southern Caribbean cruise on the Ascent looks absolutely amazing.  6 nice ports and 4 relaxing sea days will make for a great winter getaway.  I haven't sailed on Celebrity since the Horizon back in December of 1998 so it's been awhile lol.

I'd like a normal balcony because I don't think the Infinite Veranda Balconies would work for my wife and I.  I can't splurge 12k for a Retreat Room so I guess I'm stuck with the Porthole Balcony...anyone here stay in one of those rooms before?  If so, how did you like it?

We have not sailed in a porthole veranda but have seen them.  They balcony is narrow and the 2 chairs face each other.

Here is a photo from the website.

IMG_1453.thumb.png.c04bd19b791e53015eedb4963c1508b8.png

• Like 1

If you won't give an infinite veranda a try, then look at the sunset veranda which offers a more traditional balcony.  As mentioned, they do book up quickly and there is a long walk to the elevators.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southern Dan said:

I just looked into the Sunset Veranda and apparently it is sold out because that is not even an option when browsing the cabin categories for the sailing I'm looking at. 

Most likely is sold out.as there are only 36 on the ship.

I would go with the porthole veranda over the IV. We’ve been in an IV on Ascent and so missed having that separate space that could be used completely independently of the stateroom. We need a place where one can sit outside while the other is inside with air conditioning. Ultimately, it depends on how you like to use the balcony.    

7 hours ago, Southern Dan said:

The ship looks absolutely beautiful, don’t think we’ll be spending much time in our cabin regardless I suppose!

Ascent is a lovely ship.  I'm one of the minority who actually really likes the IV due to the wall-to-wall, floor to ceiling wall of windows and extra space in the room.  My husband and I are rarely in the room long enough to really miss a balcony, anyway. I encourage people to try an IV - once - before passing judgement.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Salt Lifer said:

Ascent is a lovely ship.  I'm one of the minority who actually really likes the IV due to the wall-to-wall, floor to ceiling wall of windows and extra space in the room.  My husband and I are rarely in the room long enough to really miss a balcony, anyway. I encourage people to try an IV - once - before passing judgement.

Me too!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late to the party but I also enjoyed our IV.  For us the best part was waking up, putting the window down and watching the scenery as we came into port with our morning coffee 🙂 

On 6/28/2024 at 3:11 PM, Southern Dan said:

I'm looking into cruises for January 2026 and the 11 Night Best of Southern Caribbean cruise on the Ascent looks absolutely amazing.  6 nice ports and 4 relaxing sea days will make for a great winter getaway.  I haven't sailed on Celebrity since the Horizon back in December of 1998 so it's been awhile lol.

I'd like a normal balcony because I don't think the Infinite Veranda Balconies would work for my wife and I.  I can't splurge 12k for a Retreat Room so I guess I'm stuck with the Porthole Balcony...anyone here stay in one of those rooms before?  If so, how did you like it?

I have seen a porthole balcony & have no interest in staying in one--the balcony is VERY narrow (seats must sit sideways) & felt claustrophobic to me. The only thing "traditional" about this balcony is the fact that it is truly closed off from the room. 

I suggest giving the IV balcony rooms a try. We like them---it gives the room extra space which we like. When the window is down we find it very much like a covered balcony.

IMO the biggest negatives are the loud window mechanism & the fact that the A/C shuts off when the window is open. But Ascent does have screens to create a little separation--which would quiet the sound a bit, and somewhat contain the coolness inside the room.

SV balconys are great--odd that there are absolutely none lists (even saying Sold Out) on ANY of 1/26 sailings.

What we like about the Infinite Veranda is that you have the extra room and it can be enjoyed when the weather is unpleasant.  When the weather is nice, slide the window down and enjoy.  For me, on a regular balcony in the Caribbean, it would get way to hot to sit out when the sun was beating down on it.  In Alaska, it could be cold and raining making the balcony a miserable place to be.  

Try it, you may like it.  

• Like 1

I, too, am a fan of the traditional balcony where you physically step out into an actual outdoor space and feel like you're actually outside.

The only way to book this true balcony experience on the E-class of ship is to either book a suite or a sunset veranda.

The porthole verandas, in my opinion, are a bit claustrophobic and closed in. The balconies are small and narrow. The two chairs that are out there barely fit into that space. You have to step over them in order to move around.

I'd suck it up and just get the infinite veranda. While not a true balcony, it's a different kind of balcony. Yes, it's a glorified porthole window that opens but it really is the next best option available if suites or sunset verandas aren't available.

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2024 at 3:33 PM, KKB said:

I have seen a porthole balcony & have no interest in staying in one--the balcony is VERY narrow (seats must sit sideways) & felt claustrophobic to me. The only thing "traditional" about this balcony is the fact that it is truly closed off from the room. 

I suggest giving the IV balcony rooms a try. We like them---it gives the room extra space which we like. When the window is down we find it very much like a covered balcony.

IMO the biggest negatives are the loud window mechanism & the fact that the A/C shuts off when the window is open. But Ascent does have screens to create a little separation--which would quiet the sound a bit, and somewhat contain the coolness inside the room.

SV balconys are great--odd that there are absolutely none lists (even saying Sold Out) on ANY of 1/26 sailings.

The statements that the chairs on porthole verandas must sit sideways are inaccurate and misleading.  We spent a total of three weeks in 2023 in porthole veranda cabins on Apex.  Absolutely NO problem sitting with the chair facing forward.  If you don't like fine, but don't post information that is erroneous since you state that you "have seen", not actually stayed in. The cabins aren't dark either, another rumor I've read about porthole veranda cabins.

Edited by kabmab

27 minutes ago, kabmab said:

The statements that the chairs on porthole verandas must sit sideways are inaccurate and misleading.  We spent a total of three weeks in 2023 in porthole veranda cabins on Apex.  Absolutely NO problem sitting with the chair facing forward.  If you don't like fine, but don't post information that is erroneous since you state that you "have seen", not actually stayed in. The cabins aren't dark either, another rumor I've read about porthole veranda cabins.

While I did not stay in a porthole cabin, I did see one on a cabin crawl. 

The one I saw I attempted to face the chairs forward & sit. 

While "officially" I could, knees were crammed into the wall.