Greenland cruise

The Zuiderdam will be visiting Greenland July 9, 10, and 11.  It will be interesting to see if they are able to do everything planned.  I can't wait to see photos on Jeff Farschman's blog.  The Zuiderdam is currently in Iceland.  I would love to see Greenland.  Cherie

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 7:39 AM, StLouisCruisers said:

We’ve made it to Greenland ports twice before in August, two different cruise lines. I guess we should all be watching for that month before making bookings. 

Also had a a great cruise last August. No issue with Iceberg Alley, made all ports in both Greenland and Iceland.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cccole said:

The Zuiderdam will be visiting Greenland July 9, 10, and 11.  It will be interesting to see if they are able to do everything planned.  I can't wait to see photos on Jeff Farschman's blog.  The Zuiderdam is currently in Iceland.  I would love to see Greenland.  Cherie

Zuiderdam changed its schedule due to the ice flow. We cut out Nanortalik, Qaqortoq and Paamiut as well as Prince Christian Sound scenic cruising. We have a stop in Nuuk, Greenland on Wednesday the 10th. Then on to Canada. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

StLouisCruisers, I would be so disappointed.  But I have learned from this thread that booking a cruise that includes Greenland might be better planned in August, or as someone suggested do a land trip.  Cherie

15 minutes ago, cccole said:

StLouisCruisers, I would be so disappointed.  But I have learned from this thread that booking a cruise that includes Greenland might be better planned in August, or as someone suggested do a land trip.  Cherie

We priced out a land trip to Greenland.  Wow!  The cruise is far cheaper. It is actually the first long cruise we ever did and converted us .  We were dedicated land travelers prior to that trip with only the occasional cruise thrown in. 

Mary229, Yes, cost is expensive, but I agree with post #2.  Greenland would be a huge part of a cruise for us to this area of the world.  I have found this thread really interesting.   JMO  Cherie 

• Like 1

I have made it to Greenland 2 times on different cruise lines but the cruises were in September and early October.  

I have been to the ports that they added in Iceland on the Nieuw Statendam and they are nice places to visit.  There isn't a lot to do, but I walked around town and got some great photos.  Akureyri is near a geothermal area that is interesting to visit.  

https://icelandtravelguide.is/locations/namaskard-hverarond/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cccole said:

Mary229, Yes, cost is expensive, but I agree with post #2.  Greenland would be a huge part of a cruise for us to this area of the world.  I have found this thread really interesting.   JMO  Cherie 

Most of Greenland is on the water and not really accessible easily by land.  Visiting by land is accomplished by either many flights or ferries. Our overland journey was a geology tour, we were, at the time, stunned by the pricing.   John wants to do an expedition cruise now that we are in a better financial position.  That is the optimal way to visit Greenland. 

I hear you.  I would be disappointed as well.  As you know, they can change ports and there is basically nothing you can do about it.  I am headed to Antartica on a drive-by in 2025.  Hope we get to port on the Falkland Island.  I know my situation isn't the same, but my parents cruised a lot, and it took 2 trips so they could stop in Egypt back in the 80's.

Again, sorry.......

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Most of Greenland is on the water and not really accessible easily by land.  Visiting by land is accomplished by either many flights or ferries. Our overland journey was a geology tour, we were, at the time, stunned by the pricing.   John wants to do an expedition cruise now that we are in a better financial position.  That is the optimal way to visit Greenland. 

Planning and learning the ins and outs of a new destination is so much fun.  I understand what a "land" trip is like to Greenland, but think it would be fun to see parts from a cruise ship the first time.  Going later, as westview1, mentioned might also give the opportunity to see the Northern Lights.  Cherie

@cccoleHi Cherie- If you put the @ in front the person’s username you will see a drop down menu and you can click on their name to get the “blue bubble” and they will receive notifications that you were responding to them in your post.

Sorry for the hijack, I hope to make it to Greenland in the near future!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Toad said:

@0106 trying this, thanks for the tip but it didn’t work….

It looks like the first digit after the @ is an "O" and not a "zero"  or there's a space between the 0 and 6.

Edited by Shmoo here

38 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

0106   just testing

It worked! My screen name is zero one zero six, which you can see in the drop down menu.

Posted (edited)

I did a Northwest Passage expedition cruise in September which included exploring the West coast of Greenland. Ignoring the Northwest Passage part, I love HAL, but I highly recommend an expedition type cruise to this area over conventional cruise line. You need to be able to move around well, but don’t need to be an athlete. I wrote up my expedition cruise in a thread here:  

Edited by Mike B Landlubber
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

@Toad Did you choose 0106 from the drop down menu?

I guess I am not too bright since I thought the drop down menu was in the upper right corner with all the horizontal lines but it must be something else. I do appreciate your thoughts, I am sure it is my lack of skills

5 minutes ago, Toad said:

I guess I am not too bright

I don't think "bright" has anything to do with it. I just learned this new magic within the last week or so. I also use a laptop, which make the dropdown menu quite obvious as soon as you enter the @[name].

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

I did a Northwest Passage expedition cruise in September which included exploring the West coast of Greenland. Ignoring the Northwest Passage part, I love HAL, but I highly recommend an expedition type cruise to this area over conventional cruise line. You need to be able to move around well, but don’t need to be an athlete. I wrote up my expedition cruise in a thread here:  

This is our next choice for Greenland.  We are going again this summer but mainly to do the circumnavigation of Iceland since the volcanoes are so active,  Greenland is just a pass by. Perhaps third time will be the charm. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

Hello @cccole and @Toad

To "tag" a member in a post as I just did, type the @ symbol first and then first few letters or numbers of the user name you see on the upper left corner of their post. A small list of user names & avatars will pop up next to your cursor when you start keying in the user name. Click the desired user name and avatar in the list. Some members have similar user names so please be sure you click the correct one! Check the list closely due to the fact there are almost 2 million Cruise Critic user names so some are very similar. And as already mentioned above, be careful with numerical 0 vs alpha OA dark blue bubble will appear in your post containing their user name. Also, the identified member should be notified, e.g. @Host Kat 

The same type of notification can be sent to a member when you use the Quote feature on their post for your reply to them. And for information on the Quote and Multi-Quote features, click here: How to: Reply to a Topic / Quote / Multi-Quote

Also, I suggest you both use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, click here: Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers regarding the board's software that may be of interest to you.

Hope this information will be helpful!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4