Greenland cruise

7 hours ago, Toad said:

@Host Kat Wow thank you so much for the clear explanation.  You saved me a considerable amount of frustration.

@Toad You are most welcome and glad to be of service!

@Host Kat I too am very pleased to learn this trick. I've long wondered but am not curious enough to search out the tutorials on my own. Your instruction was crystal clear.

Plus, I LOVE the animation in your signature!

BTW, while I am passingly interested in this Greenland topic and glad to know more about the ways HAL (and the other lines as well) try to lure in the unwary, this has been a most useful hijack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on Voyage of The Vikings last year and got all our Greenland stops. Excellent weather as we sailed the Sound. I would be disappointed like you were, but the Greenland ports are just small communities and tend to be very buggy. Much like Alaska in the 50's and 60's. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 10:16 PM, Dutchman48 said:

Also had a a great cruise last August. No issue with Iceberg Alley, made all ports in both Greenland and Iceland.

Our Zuiderdam added "iceberg experts" just to be safe. (July and August cruise.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Our Zuiderdam added "iceberg experts" just to be safe. (July and August cruise.)

Are these lecturers or bridge staff? Seriously, I am unaware of what this is, and we are booked on 28 day Greenland/Iceland next June/July. 

3 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

Are these lecturers or bridge staff? Seriously, I am unaware of what this is, and we are booked on 28 day Greenland/Iceland next June/July. 

Don't think so. Ships are required to use Pilots from Greenland for cruises through Prinz Christian Sund, and into all the Greenland ports. They have great in depth intel on where the icebergs are. They come in pairs, work 12 hours on, 12 off, and stay onboard as long as the ship is in the local waters. We had them on N. Statendam in July 2022.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Strange that the US is in a heat wave right now and the Greenland ports are still ice bound. 

JMO: surrounded by lots of icebergs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Strange that the US is in a heat wave right now and the Greenland ports are still ice bound. 

Could it be that more icebergs are being produced because the glaciers are warming?

• Like 4

In the fall of 2018, we had a fantastic Transatlantic cruise on the Zuiderdam, which included stops in Iceland and Greenland. Our approach to Greenland included an interesting announcement by the Captain, which highlights the unpredictability of sailing in these waters!

If you're interested, we did a review of the cruise. Review of Iceland starts at Post#74 and Greenland at Post#220.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For anyone interested...Jeff Farschman's photos and review of Nuuk and Nuuk and Qornup Fjords are great.  amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com.  So happy they made at least two days in Greenland.  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 7:35 PM, SeaMatesNYC said:

Yes, seconding what @CruiserBruce explained above; these are ice pilots. On the Zuiderdam's VOV last year, they were from Denmark and stayed onboard with us from Iceland through Canada, primarily helping us to navigate through Prince Christian Sund. The CTD also hosted a coffee chat with them one morning, and they were quite interesting. 

• Like 3