Santo / luganville - how to organise?

So I'm going on a South Pacific cruise in about 2 weeks. And they've changed the destination from New Caledonia to Vanuatu. We'll be stopping at Port Vila and Santo - I've been on a South Pacific cruise before but haven't actually been to either of those places. There's going to be about a dozen of us - ranging from 6 to 70 - so trying to get an idea of what to do that isn't going to bore the kids and won't stress out the oldies too much.

For Port Vila, there's this company online that seems to have an reputable online presence - who have a day tour to Blue Lagoon, Eden on the River and Hideaway Island - prices are reasonable adn there's good reviews so I think that is sorted.

I'm having some trouble trying to find info about Santo / Luganville though. It doesn't sound like it's a common destination? Even Viator doesn't seem to have any listed tours or anything.

Anyway, for anyone who has been there - just wonder what there is to do - and how do we go about organising it? Is everything within walkable distance and you don't actually need a tour - kind of like Mystery Island? Is it like Noumea where there's basically a double decker bus you can buy tickets for to take you around? Should I try to book something beforehand? Is this something where we can just get off the ship and there'll be lots of drivers and tour companies for you to negotiate a day trip with?

1 hour ago, cruiser079 said:

Is everything within walkable distance and you don't actually need a tour - kind of like Mystery Island?

It's pretty much the opposite.

It's a very third world town. There is not much (anything?) to see in the town itself.

Outside the port area there will be a free for all of taxis lined up down the road. They will all be touting for business. You take your pick of the most personable and negotiate a return ride to the blue holes or Champagne Bay.

When I say "taxis", I mean private cars with some very dodgy looking characters driving them. I would not do it solo. Work out every detail of the ride before you get in the vehicle, make no assumptions about who will turn up where and how much it will cost. Do not pay for anything in advance.

I haven't used them, but I have heard of Bonza Taxi Tours in Luganville they may be able to help with booking ahead for a large group.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2

I fully agree with Sinbad's comments.  If you want a nice place to relax for the day in the centre of town I would  suggest Hotel Santo as a base for the day.  The garden, gazebo and pool are a lovely old-fashioned relaxing oasis away from the busy main street.  Maybe a Aud $10 ride from where the ship docks.

The younger members of the group can do other things if they want and the oldies can just relax.

Here is a review, not mine FYI

"Most hotels nowadays look alike... Hotel Santo has character and identity: Since 1975, Hotel Santo has been an icon in Vanuatu: It is the Terracotta Pink 70s building opposite Unity Park! Build during the condominium, it has housed many of key players of Vanuatu’s history… history still honored throughout the classic retro feel of the hotel! In 2022, the hotel underwent a renovation to bring back the 70s Glamour while honouring the heritage with authentic artwork throughout the entire hotel, lush garden oasis with pool and gardens. It is not a modern hotel: It is an wink to Santo's history, with modern comforts. It is a family run business with island touch! Location: Right in the heart of Luganville Town, it is walking distance to the local market, the shops. Ideal for exploring the island! Rooms • TOP conditioned rooms on the elegant 1rst floor • GARDEN fan-cooled rooms with direct access to the pool area Facilities: * President Coolidge BAR (With some original pieces from the President Coolidge itself); * Tropical bistrot-style food; * Backyard fare surrounded by an outdoor Pool with hammocks under the giant trees; * Of course we have WIFI... But we so have heaps of books for you to grab! #Retro #Hotel #Vintage #HistoricSites #Restaurant #Travels #IslandDestination #ClassicHotels #FamilyBusiness #PoolSideHolidays #BusinessHotel #Luganvile #Santo #EspirituSanto #Vanuatu"

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I would agree. Around the port you feel safe, but it is grubby and dilapidated. 

Champagne Bay is an awesome spot to swim if you can organise it. There is also a nice beach only 5-10 km from the port in Palikulo Bay, which had cheap ship shuttles last time we called there. That was on Radiance of the Seas though. 

For anyone into scuba & snorkelling, Million Dollar Point is less than 5kms away. It used to be a popular attraction, but I don't know of anyone who has been there recently.

• Like 1

Been there a number of times. Pick up a cab at the port. Million dollar point is fun for snorkeling. Or they can take you to a Blue Hole which is also great fun. Champagne Bay nearby is a very nice beach. 

Hideaway Island in Port Vila was good. Google Irikiki Resort as another option for a day. For a small fee.. you get to use the resorts facilities including large pool.. kayaks, etc. 

IMG_1956.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

Been there a number of times. Pick up a cab at the port. Million dollar point is fun for snorkeling. Or they can take you to a Blue Hole which is also great fun. Champagne Bay nearby is a very nice beach. 

Hideaway Island in Port Vila was good. Google Irikiki Resort as another option for a day. For a small fee.. you get to use the resorts facilities including large pool.. kayaks, etc. 

IMG_1956.JPG

thanks, any tips in how to get a cab? Do you just take cabs as you go or do you hire one driver for the whole day?

Some of the comments make it sound like it's dodgy but is it dodgy as in "you got to negotiate taxi rates and they might rip you off" dodgy or dodgy as in you might get mugged by the driver?

17 minutes ago, cruiser079 said:

thanks, any tips in how to get a cab? Do you just take cabs as you go or do you hire one driver for the whole day?

Some of the comments make it sound like it's dodgy but is it dodgy as in "you got to negotiate taxi rates and they might rip you off" dodgy or dodgy as in you might get mugged by the driver?

I haven't heard of any visitors to Luganville being mugged by a taxi driver so I wouldn't worry about that. Don't try to get taxis 'as you go' - hire one for your whole visit. Plan your day and outline what you want to do when you are negotiating the price. Do this before you sit in the cab so the driver knows he doesn't have passengers until he comes up with a good price. Don't worry about the cost of waiting time - it would be negligible.

35 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I haven't heard of any visitors to Luganville being mugged by a taxi driver so I wouldn't worry about that. Don't try to get taxis 'as you go' - hire one for your whole visit. Plan your day and outline what you want to do when you are negotiating the price. Do this before you sit in the cab so the driver knows he doesn't have passengers until he comes up with a good price. Don't worry about the cost of waiting time - it would be negligible.

Really good advice. Thank you. 

Any idea how much you reckon it would cost for negotiation purposes? 

We probably need 2-3 taxis or a van because there'll be 12 of us.

Also I'm guessing you can just pay in Australian dollars yeah?

Edited by cruiser079

1 hour ago, cruiser079 said:

We've always just got off the ship and grabbed one. They'll be lined up touting for business. Usually they will offer you a rate there and back that includes them waiting there for you while you have your swim etc. You pay them at the end of the day.. so they don't take off. 

Never found it dodgy.. however the vehicles sometimes wouldn't cover compliance that we would expect lol. I wouldn't send my wife alone on one again which we did once.. she felt unsafe and intimidated - but never a problem when I've been there and they're as polite as anything. 

• Like 1