Recommend a cruise line, thanks

Paul_BB

Hi Folks,

A family member is very picky for meals:  gluten-free, sugar-free, green smoothies for breakfast, organic and healthy options etc.

Do you know any cruise line which specifically caters for such travelers? Preferably, adults-only cruise line.

Destination: Europe, Mediterannean

Thanks!

I have never been to Europe. (On the cruise wishlist.)

I can only comment that most in Australia Princess caters to all/most of those dietry needs however  they do have children on board  not as many as RC and Carnival as mentioned above.

Edited by Mycruiseobsession

A friend I met on the Princess World Cruise last year has very restrictive food requirements (from choice). Every day one of the head waiters discussed with her what she would like the next day and they literally cooked the agreed dish specially for her. This wasn't a modified version of something on the menu but a totally off-menu item.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, colourbird said:

What are they like in term of dietary requirements?

We cruised with them (Virgin) - not great. Meals with Virgin is a different approach, you need to book restaurants in advance. There are some vegan options, but I wouldn't call it healthy. The food court is similar to a shopping mall food court

• Like 1

Celebrity Cruise Lines springs to mind, especially their "Aqua Class" cabins. Be mindful that Aqua Class sells out rather quickly.

Given the somewhat raised price point, there aren't TOO many children on board, especially really young ones.

• Thanks 1

All of the mainstream lines cater for food allergies very well, if that is what you mean by picky. Just notify them when you book, and touch base with the maitre D/Head waiter soon after boarding. This works best with fixed dining (same waiters each night), and the allergy free meal is pre-ordered a day ahead.

Viking comes to mind, but with such broad questions, perhaps try a travel agent.

• Like 1

@Paul_BB, welcome to cruise critic. While most people on these boards will try to be helpful, many of us are fortunate that we don't have dietary issues. My wife does have several and we have been able to work around them. Most cruise lines will work with you to meet your requirements. There will be some gluten free options, keep in mind the "sugar free" is not the same as "no sugar added. I wouldn't be holding my breath to find "organic" selections on any cruise line. I'm not sure how many cruise lines have "green smothies" but I doubt any of them will be "included in your fare" some won't even be included in your beverage package.

The only "adults only" cruise line we have sailed was Viking, they worked with my wife's dietary needs, as did Celebrity and Holland America (which aren't adults only). Hopefully you will find a line to suit your friend's dietary needs.

• Like 4

This was a menu in the Blu restaurant (for Aqua class guests) on Celebrity Edge in December 2023. They were able to cater for any dietary requirements and would even bring food from the main dining room or drinks from cafes if you didn't fancy anything on their daily menu.

Their buffet had dedicated areas for various dietary needs.

Blu.PNG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

All of the mainstream lines cater for food allergies very well, if that is what you mean by picky. Just notify them when you book, and touch base with the maitre D/Head waiter soon after boarding. This works best with fixed dining (same waiters each night), and the allergy free meal is pre-ordered a day ahead.

Except for Norwegian that is.

When we were on Norwegian Viva in May and June 2024 there was barely anything in the buffet suitable for people with dietary requirements. Labels on food were often vague and didn't show what was in a dish / if it was vegetarian or not. We spoke to some people who needed gluten free food in the main dining room and they were struggling to get anything decent or appetising to eat. Not that the regular food was much better (although it looked really good).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colourbird said:

Except for Norwegian that is.

When we were on Norwegian Viva in May and June 2024 there was barely anything in the buffet suitable for people with dietary requirements. Labels on food were often vague and didn't show what was in a dish / if it was vegetarian or not. We spoke to some people who needed gluten free food in the main dining room and they were struggling to get anything decent or appetising to eat. Not that the regular food was much better (although it looked really good).

I disagee. My wife is more than intolerant, she has been cruising  with coeliac for 17 years. NCL is as good as any of the others if you heed the advice of touching base with the maitre D for guidance and pre-ordering instead of winging it with "safe choice" meals.

• Like 2

I'm coeliac,  & have & still willing to cruise P&O, Princess,  Royal Caribbean & NCL.

As Geoff/arxcards said you need to advise them of your dietary needs. P&O & Royal had plenty on display in the buffet area stating gluten free. If in doubt about anything,  you ask questions. The cruise lines want you to be happy & are more then willing to work with you.

The only cruise line I was sadly disappointed on was Blue lagoon cruises in Fiji in 2022.  They were atrocious regarding food intolerances, regardless of plenty of notification. 

• Like 1

When we were on Celebrity Edge in December 2023, they had details of the food intolerances of guests hanging in the galley so they could prepare meals they could eat.

This one mentions the guest is extremely allergic to several items:

• No dairy/milk products
  • No egg
  • No mammalian meat/gelatine (Alpha Gal)
  • No coriander plant (commonly referred to as coriander, cilantro, Chinese parsley, or dhania; includes all parts of the coriander/cilantro plant and leaf/stem/seed)

It also instructs the team to always offer the next day's menu and to call Maitre D' Luminaire if the guest is in their restaurant.

image.thumb.png.01fbaf491a0d31f8a1674ef9364ea699.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1