Lunch in MDR on embarkation day?

Someone on a different site posted the dailies from last week's sailing on the Jade.  The MDR was not open for lunch on embarkation day.  Is this the norm now or is this crew dependent? Thank you for any info.

Just off the Sky last week and we had lunch in the MDR day of embarkation.  One of the 2 dining rooms was open and was about a 1/4 full.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Something fun! said:

Someone on a different site posted the dailies from last week's sailing on the Jade.  The MDR was not open for lunch on embarkation day.  Is this the norm now or is this crew dependent? Thank you for any info.

Clearly, at least one MDR is open on many of the ships.

This option may be subject to change.

You will know for certain on embarkation day by checking the daily schedule's dining options.

If  open, it's a wise choice; if not, try O'Sheehans's.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

We hope that the MDR will be open on the Jade in August.   Dragging our carry-ons to the buffet, while trying to find a table is not fun.  I guess that we can go to O'Sheehan's.

There should be a place to store your carry-ons before the cabins are ready.  Ask, someone should know the location (usually a closed restaurant like Orchid Garden).

5 hours ago, www3traveler said:

There should be a place to store your carry-ons before the cabins are ready.  Ask, someone should know the location (usually a closed restaurant like Orchid Garden).

Do you know if this is something that is tagged and monitored or could someone potentially take my carryon?

5 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

We hope that the MDR will be open on the Jade in August.   Dragging our carry-ons to the buffet, while trying to find a table is not fun.  I guess that we can go to O'Sheehan's.

Just how big are these carry-ons?  I take a backpack and it's never a problem.  I just stick it under the table.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Something fun! said:

Do you know if this is something that is tagged and monitored or could someone potentially take my carryon?

It's monitored exactly as much as your delivered luggage is monitored as it sits in the hallway. Luggage theft is not a big thing on a cruise ship, as far as I know.

Same with our last cruise on Sky - no MDR open for embarkation lunch.

Also the Local/O’Sheehans wasn't open for lunch… ever … and the to be clear didn’t serve any meals the whole 14 day cruise until 5pm. It was just a bar extension to the Great Outdoors until 5pm.

cost savings = cut backs

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

We were on the Jade in April, MDR was not open for lunch. We went to O'Sheehan's, it was pleasant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have just got back from a cruise on the Pearl. We usually have our lunch in O'Sheehan's on embarkation day as in the past we have usually found the MDR closed on a number of ships. However our muster point was outside the MDR and it was open and so once our names were ticked off the muster list we went and had a very nice lunch in the MDR.

• Like 2