Walk me through the Nexus process

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Sorry, not questioning what you are being told, but it is only land/car crossing that requires all travelling together to have Nexus.  

Sure you are.  We weren't advised about who needs to have NEXUS when traveling together (not traveling at same time as individuals).  We were told not to travel together (with me using my NEXUS card) through a crossing until my wife's NEXUS enrollment through CBP is complete.

From a CBP perspective, I don't know what they consider to be traveling together, but I think I get the picture... wait until my wife's card is fully activated before using mine unless I am traveling entirely by myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Sure you are.  We weren't advised about who needs to have NEXUS when traveling together (not traveling at same time as individuals).  We were told not to travel together (with me using my NEXUS card) through a crossing until my wife's NEXUS enrollment through CBP is complete.

From a CBP perspective, I don't know what they consider to be traveling together, but I think I get the picture... wait until my wife's card is fully activated before using mine unless I am traveling entirely by myself.

For car travel it is very clear. You can only use a Nexus lane if all occupants of the car have Nexus. I assume that the same is true at the airport; you can't bring a non-Nexus family member with you to the Nexus lane.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

For car travel it is very clear. You can only use a Nexus lane if all occupants of the car have Nexus. I assume that the same is true at the airport; you can't bring a non-Nexus family member with you to the Nexus lane.

They will allow you to bring a non nexus pass holder through the line at the airport.  I've done it with a friend. Ask nicely and they don't mind although they kind of implied I could bring a guest along with me.  

4 hours ago, HWC_Mom said:

They will allow you to bring a non nexus pass holder through the line at the airport.  I've done it with a friend. Ask nicely and they don't mind although they kind of implied I could bring a guest along with me.  

There are often anecdotal stories of breaches of the rules, but it is very clear that non-NEXUS members are NOT permitted to use NEXUS lanes, whether or not you ask nicely. From the CBSA webpage "How to use NEXUS to enter Canada":

Travelling with non-members

If you are travelling with non-members, you can’t use dedicated NEXUS lanes or NEXUS reporting procedures for the Telephone Reporting Centre. A non-member can’t accompany you through a NEXUS kiosk or eGate. 

To use NEXUS, everyone accompanying you must also be a member, regardless of their age. As the driver or operator, you are responsible for making sure everyone in your vehicle or boat is a NEXUS member and is carrying their NEXUS card.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/how-utiliser-eng.html

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HWC_Mom said:

You’re very fortunate that you didn’t have to leave the line, because both the CBSA and TSA both explicitly told me that non nexus members cannot travel with you in the Nexus/TSA precheck lane/line. 

On 7/14/2024 at 1:01 PM, HWC_Mom said:

You got lucky.  It's very clear in the rules (as also stated by others).  You cannot bring a non-Nexus person with you to the Nexus line.

When I had my Nexus interview, the American agent said, declare everything and don't bring anything you're not supposed to.  What they are also saying is any violation can get your Nexus revoked. 

My wife and I didn't bring our non-Nexus daughter into the Nexus line with us when we travelled together.  It's better not to risk any violation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 8:55 AM, gnome12 said:

But if you don’t have Nexus already you can’t cross that bridge, because you have to show a Nexus card at the Canadian side to open the automatic gate. So you might as well do it at the Peace Bridge. 

Yes, the Nexus-only Whirlpool Bridge has a Nexus enrollment center on the US side; I was there earlier this year.  It's a tiny office, but efficient and pleasant. Though it's on the US side of a Nexus-only bridge, it's easy to get to without a Nexus card by crossing at the Rainbow Bridge and then driving ~3 km north thru Niagara Falls NY.  

On 7/14/2024 at 11:01 AM, HWC_Mom said:

That's not been our experience. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Folks if you don't have Nexus download the MPC APP which is similar to ArriveCan. We used it at Pearson this morning and went to the designated line and went right to the front since we were the only ones in line. The regular line was crazy busy and must have been a 1 hour wait to get  through US Customs. Most people are obviously not aware of the MPC App and it can save you the big wait at Customs. We also booke our spot in security through YYZ Express and combined we were through security and customs in under 10 mnutes.

• Like 1