Getting bonine when you have nexus

I believe i can get mezacline or bonine (not sure which) at costco in the states. However i’m a little concerned as i have nexus and its not allowed in canada. Do i just play dumb if they call me on it when cross border if they know its not allowed? I don’t want to get in trouble. I didn’t see it on amazon.

3 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I believe i can get mezacline or bonine (not sure which) at costco in the states. However i’m a little concerned as i have nexus and its not allowed in canada. Do i just play dumb if they call me on it when cross border if they know its not allowed? I don’t want to get in trouble. I didn’t see it on amazon.

I would never risk having my Nexus taken away over something I knew wasn’t allowed in Canada.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Where have you seen that meclizine is a controlled substance?  All I see is this:

IMG_2343.thumb.jpeg.66dc658690ec43f3e122e68a89d424cd.jpeg

Its not a controlled substance. You buy it over the counter. In reading about it, i actually think its not carried in canada as not manufactured rather then banned, so i should be fine.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

While meclizine is no longer manufactured or sold in Canada, it is perfectly legal and does not require a prescription in concentrations of 25 mg per dosage unit or less.

US Costco requires a prescription, but I don't know whether or not Costco would accept a prescription issued by a Canadian doctor not licensed in the US. On the other hand Amazon.com appears not to have this requirement and ships. to Canada. https://www.amazon.com/Meclizine-Chewable-Tablets-25mg-Bottle/dp/B099KNZVX3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2RVDMR9JG8Q5Y&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Hb_Lfs2H5TufPzaXaVABxK8FBApT_YC2FWjXYZkBdCrzJm5Utj-0L50LcQk6r2w_JGvMCJ5bmhJFCokgtSGEOUdAV2R96Mvq8RhA-YUEqP1c-Z3I4Y4na-twpDdVjEgThIxrqJNu1JZ27XQod5DipDSiWFUbqQLEqwco574q6LrroqhVMPmLuyoMMFY1DuusdQVqxf2jdl4oERaJRCc1bYodGM4xIZkc3CWlzKhi5Ik.7FzdyXcUpr-bHHD9p9_COBv45-6thIr1eQUZnO7ZfQE&dib_tag=se&keywords=meclizine+25mg+tablets&qid=1719938679&sprefix=meclizine%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-2

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 2

Bonine is a brand name for generic Meclizine. Same drug, but more expensive- you pay for the name. NOT illegal in Canada, just not available for sale. You can buy the generic stuff cheaply at any Walmart pharmacy in the US. Don't know why Costco would require a Rx for something that is allowed OTC, by the FDA.

• Like 1

I bought Bonine or equivalent in US many times and bring back to Canada.  I have Nexus.

Never any problem.

I'm a scuba diver and takes one before going on boat diving.  My family members also takes them before going on boat diving/snorkeling.   We last bought it at Walmart a few weeks ago, it's cheaper in Walmart than the usual drug stores.  At a US Costco I asked and they didn't carry it, so I haven't asked any other Costcos since.  Walmarts are everywhere so that's convenient.

• Like 1

We purchased it at Walmart in Michigan and declared at border coming back to Canada without issue in May. It’s not banned in Canada.

when you check products on the Canada customs site it is interesting... some that are not sold in Canada and cannot be mailed to Canada can be carried across the border in person legally.  I recently brought waygu tallow back and it is in this odd category. Each product of concern needs to be checked . I love my nexus card too much to risk it

20 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Amazon.ca used to sell Rugby meclizine, but haven't carried it in a few years.  I buy Rugby meclizine by mail from the U.S.  I've had Nexus since the program started.  We've also been pulled over a few times for a search.  The Rugby meclizine is always with me when I travel and I have had zero problems.

Meclizine isn't banned in Canada, and for those who don't have a close drive to a US Costco, it's easy to order online for shipping to Canada -- check eBay.com for prices that compare to US Costco, and have reasonable shipping fees.

Posted (edited)

Thanks to all who responded! It is peculiar its not manufactured here so i assumed it was not allowed. It wouldn’t be surprise me if others get medication in the states you can’t get here. If you need it you get it. I’m glad to hear it isn’t banned though.

Edited by latebuyer

• 2 weeks later...

OT...but...what happens if a person is prescribed one of these drugs and carries it with them on vacation into the US.  Should it be declared?  and would it be confiscated?  DH needs one of those mentioned and takes it on every holiday across the border.  Never has been asked which medication he has with him.

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

OT...but...what happens if a person is prescribed one of these drugs and carries it with them on vacation into the US.  Should it be declared?  and would it be confiscated?  DH needs one of those mentioned and takes it on every holiday across the border.  Never has been asked which medication he has with him.

Meclizine does not require a prescription in the US. Unless asked there is little reason to declare a reasonable quantity intended for personal use.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, broberts said:

Meclizine does not require a prescription in the US. Unless asked there is little reason to declare a reasonable quantity intended for personal use.

Not Meclizine but one in the list posted above which does require prescription.

Edited by Oceangoer2

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Not Meclizine but one in the list posted above which does require prescription.

As long as it is a legal drug in the US, and was obtained by prescription, is properly labeled, and is in a quantity sufficient for personal use, then there is no need to declare. If it is a narcotic/controlled substance, it should be in the original container.  Note that Marijuana products, while legal in many states, is not legal federally, and Customs goes by federal law.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2024 at 12:43 PM, latebuyer said:

Thanks to all who responded! It is peculiar its not manufactured here so i assumed it was not allowed. It wouldn’t be surprise me if others get medication in the states you can’t get here. If you need it you get it. I’m glad to hear it isn’t banned though.

Just to (re)point out what Fouremco stated 'no longer manufactured or sold in Canada' so it was available years back and then poof.  In Canada it was sold under brand name Bonamine before it disappeared.  While available in Canada I was able to get meclizine tablets from a pharmacy/pharmacist (without prescription) and as one might expect the cost was low and it was plenty to last me a while. Perhaps fake news but it was apparently due to a supplier issue with an ingredient but it clearly grew to be the end of the end.

On 7/3/2024 at 8:42 AM, talltimbers said:

I live in BC and get meclizine at the compound pharmacy-no prescription required.

I live in Alberta and also get meclizine at the compounding pharmacy too..

2 hours ago, mattie00 said:

I live in Alberta and also get meclizine at the compounding pharmacy too..

I was hoping to do that here in Toronto, but it ended up being so expensive.  It was less expensive for me to order it from the States.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Health Canada rules allow you as an individual to import a 90 day supply of most medications from outside the country for personal use, even if not generally sold or approved here.

Edited by cmich068