Dutch Day?

So let me get this straight.....one minute they are in collaboration with Lindt chocolate and the next they are stopping the turn down chocolate for a stroopwaffel? 🙄

14 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Charging for proffertjes? Hmm.

Where did you read there was a charge? Usually the sweets in the Crow’s Nest are no charge, just the specialty drinks are a surcharge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

On the Rotterdam recently on the day when there was the Orange Party in the evening , the MDR, Lido, and Club Orange menus featured a lot of Dutch items, like the pea soup (the one daily available at the Dutch cafe *if* you can get in), the delicious Hodge Podge, and the deadly cream puff (also available in the Dutch cafe daily *if* you can get in).

However, neither on that day, nor on any other on our two-week cruise, did we receive any pillow chocolates or sweets of any kind (we were in a suite and,  if available ship-wide on that day, , we probably could have gotten them).  It didn't occur to me to ask, neither  this year or last year when we didn't have any pillow sweets delivered, now I will know better for future cruises. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

So let me get this straight.....one minute they are in collaboration with Lindt chocolate and the next they are stopping the turn down chocolate for a stroopwaffel? 🙄

I read it as they are giving the stroopwaffel only on "Dutch Day"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stpatsirish said:

Where did you read there was a charge? Usually the sweets in the Crow’s Nest are no charge, just the specialty drinks are a surcharge.

From the announcement:

"New in Crow’s Nest Café on all ships, fresh-made poffertjes — a traditional Dutch treat resembling small, fluffy pancakes — will be available daily (not just on Dutch Day) for a nominal charge."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

I read it as they are giving the stroopwaffel only on "Dutch Day"

Agreed.  My thinking was that currently chocolates are only distributed on dressy nights and if "in place of the traditional turn down chocolate guests find a Daelmans Stroopwafel waiting for them', then on a 7 day itinerary with two dressy nights, there will be one with Lindt and one with a waffle.  Or will Dutch Day replace the second dressy night?

Maybe I am overthinking this!

I need a cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

Has anyone been a part of Dutch Day ? 

Yes, our April Oosterdam cruise had the Dutch themed dinner in the MDR. 

I recall a great menu....pea soup is delicious....and also had an Indonesian entree...which, I learned, is very Dutch.

It's good to see the "Dutch dinner" back...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Agreed.  My thinking was that currently chocolates are only distributed on dressy nights and if "in place of the traditional turn down chocolate guests find a Daelmans Stroopwafel waiting for them', then on a 7 day itinerary with two dressy nights, there will be one with Lindt and one with a waffle.  Or will Dutch Day replace the second dressy night?

Maybe I am overthinking this!

I need a cruise!

Dutch Day will be the same day as the orange party. My understanding is that the orange party is never held on a dressy night (I could be wrong). So maybe “in place of” referred to the location the chocolate is placed rather than a substitution for the chocolate? 

• Like 1

On our most recent cruises (Westerdam and Rotterdam) one evening was marked for an Orange Party to celebrate HAL's Dutch heritage. It's a lot of fun. Before our next cruise DW & I will be sure to pack orange for the occasion.

3 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

On our most recent cruises (Westerdam and Rotterdam) one evening was marked for an Orange Party to celebrate HAL's Dutch heritage. It's a lot of fun. Before our next cruise DW & I will be sure to pack orange for the occasion.

For those who forget something orange, but still want to participate, HAL sells little orange corsages and ribbons and other little things you can put on your clothing.

But if you have no orange on, for those who don't already know, you can of course still go to the party. 🙂

On 7/3/2024 at 6:23 AM, FlaMariner said:

Yes, our April Oosterdam cruise had the Dutch themed dinner in the MDR. 

I recall a great menu....pea soup is delicious....and also had an Indonesian entree...which, I learned, is very Dutch.

It's good to see the "Dutch dinner" back...

We were on the June 22 Eurodam 7-day Alaska cruise.  The delightful Dutch themed dinner on Wednesday was followed by the Orange Party.

Dressy evenings on Sunday and Thursday had the usual square bedtime chocolates and towel animals.   

I did not notice any poffertjes in the Crow's Nest.

One evening dinner menu included the delicious Bami Goring.

Barbara 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 12:03 AM, Ray4Fun said:

If I look at the date in the link (April 26th, 2024) it must have been a special Orange Party on Kingsday (April 27th, birthdate of our King) on one of the ships (Link gives a 404 message...so I cannot check this). We were on board ms Nieuw Statendam and just the name Orange Party was used on that special date.

2 hours ago, MAVIP said:

If I look at the date in the link (April 26th, 2024) it must have been a special Orange Party on Kingsday (April 27th, birthdate of our King) on one of the ships (Link gives a 404 message...so I cannot check this). We were on board ms Nieuw Statendam and just the name Orange Party was used on that special date.

Hi Lennie, how are you?

When I look at menus for April 27th on NSDM there was a 'Dutch Themed Dinner' in the Lido that night and MDR had Bami Goreng, Hodge and Bosche Bol on the menu.

Orange Party was the best ever (food wise!)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3004181-live-from-nieuw-statendam-14-day-canary-island-allure-april-21-may-5-2024/page/6/    (post #138)

Screenshot_20240427_104358_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.e5813f7e830897dd13c38f185b23736c.thumb.jpg.2adc8f341b7f00ac7f436a2f0bbcf13e.jpg

Screenshot_20240427_104148_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.83d41bfda67e119427ddf409ecf652ca.thumb.jpg.245c4e9ac9abc1469bad4ae9ce9aac76.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Hi Lennie, how are you?

When I look at menus for April 27th on NSDM there was a 'Dutch Themed Dinner' in the Lido that night and MDR had Bami Goreng, Hodge and Bosche Bol on the menu.

Orange Party was the best ever (food wise!)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3004181-live-from-nieuw-statendam-14-day-canary-island-allure-april-21-may-5-2024/page/6/    (post #138)

Screenshot_20240427_104358_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.e5813f7e830897dd13c38f185b23736c.thumb.jpg.2adc8f341b7f00ac7f436a2f0bbcf13e.jpg

Screenshot_20240427_104148_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.83d41bfda67e119427ddf409ecf652ca.thumb.jpg.245c4e9ac9abc1469bad4ae9ce9aac76.jpg

Thank you for publishing those menu's!  It's a shame Collin, I remember having the Taste of Indonesia and Artisan Cheese selection....but not that the day was called Dutch Day.  Kingsday however was mentioned. And yes, the Orange party was the best!   It reminds me again that I have to discuss with Joost booking the Canaries plus Morocco for next year. Departure April 20th, so includes Kingsday again. (Partly a pity, because in that case I will not be able to participate in a special Kingsday meeting in our town....).

As to you question: here everything is well again after I had Covid with lung problems as from 5 days after the April cruise. So we leave in 2 weeks on ms NS to Iceland etc and a B2B to a.o. Iceland and Greenland (if icebergs permit). And Ellen and you? Everything allright and with new cruise plans?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MAVIP said:

And Ellen and you? Everything allright and with new cruise plans?

We are both good, thanks!  Nothing planned at the moment (we recently cancelled one to Corsica and Malta for October 2025) but I have itchy feet and want to go somewhere warm and sticky!

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

We are both good, thanks!  Nothing planned at the moment (we recently cancelled one to Corsica and Malta for October 2025) but I have itchy feet and want to go somewhere warm and sticky!

Enough European countries with temperatures of 40/45 Celsius.....And we, if we ever reach it, go to freezing cold Greenland....LOL

• Haha 1