Wifi needed for QR menus?

travelloverontario

13 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Thinking of the Sapphire, where is there a dancing area in Crooners?

You miss my point. Late night when people are a little lubricants they will dance anywhere in the venue. On the Discovery one time the piano player was enamored with Beastie Boys songs

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, memoak said:

You miss my point. Late night when people are a little lubricants they will dance anywhere in the venue. On the Discovery one time the piano player was enamored with Beastie Boys songs

Hella lot better than the same old set we've heard thousands of times!

I'd welcome some Gaga and Alicia Keys in there too.

We've been on 3 Princess ships in the last 6 months and I don't recall ordering anything off a QR code menu at any venue.  

Edit to say we just returned from an Alaskan cruisetour and all the lodges had both paper menus and QR codes available on the welcome packets with menus/lodge info/etc.  But no QR codes were used on the cruise portion.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 1:09 AM, lnhoney said:

Where can I access the menus before my cruise? We leave on the 14th.

Thanks

you may not be able to. MDR menus were available in the morning for that day only (Enchanted, June 2024). If you didn't take a screenshot that day or a photo of the menu in MDR/by MDR entrance, you would be out of luck.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you may not be able to. MDR menus were available in the morning for that day only (Enchanted, June 2024). If you didn't take a screenshot that day or a photo of the menu in MDR/by MDR entrance, you would be out of luck.

Just check your TV in the morning all menus for that day will be displayed. We have never seen them in advance. If people post menus here be advised that they are subject to change 

Yes, your device can read the Princess QR codes and displays the content if you are on ships WiFi without an internet package. This works on almost every cruise line. Did it on MSC as well. But the princess app has the menus as well for restaurants. But yes. A lot less QR codes on last cruise. 

14 hours ago, memoak said:

Just check your TV in the morning all menus for that day will be displayed. We have never seen them in advance. If people post menus here be advised that they are subject to change 

Except they're not always correct.  I've looked at that day's dinner menu on the TV or app, only to get to the MDR and find that the actual menu being served was completely different. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

I know! It's super confusing to a lot.

it shouldn't have to be - wifi - by default IS internet ... anything else in the ships free intranet

A Jeep is a Wrangler by default  I've got a Jeep means you've got a Wrangler - else you would state I've got a Jeep Cherokee or whatever else models there are

I'm going to Disney - in Florida, you're going to the Magic Kingdom - else you would state - we're going to Epcot or Animal Kingdom

what does "wifi" stand for anyway??

• Haha 1

Wifi stands for wireless fidelity. It is the protocol used to connect devices to a network. Wifi does not equal Internet. Connecting to a Wi-Fi network just gets you that. To get beyond the ship's intranet, you need a package that includes Internet access. On my current cruise, I have had multiple devices connected to the wifi, but only one can be on the Internet at a time.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Wifi stands for wireless fidelity. It is the protocol used to connect devices to a network. Wifi does not equal Internet. Connecting to a Wi-Fi network just gets you that. To get beyond the ship's intranet, you need a package that includes Internet access. On my current cruise, I have had multiple devices connected to the wifi, but only one can be on the Internet at a time.

or not

You may have read, or made an educated guess, that Wi-Fi stands for “wireless fidelity” just as Hi-Fi stands for “high fidelity”. It would make sense but you’d be wrong.

Phil Belanger, a founding member of the Wi-Fi Alliance, has comprehensively dispelled the idea: “Wi-Fi doesn’t stand for anything. It is not an acronym. There is no meaning.”

The simple truth is that the organisation needed a name for their standard that would be easier to remember than “IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence”

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

As an IT professional, I stand by what I said.

From Wikipedia:

Etymology and terminology

The name Wi-Fi, commercially used at least as early as August 1999,[30] was coined by the brand-consulting firm Interbrand. The Wi-Fi Alliance had hired Interbrand to create a name that was "a little catchier than 'IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence'."[31][32] According to Phil Belanger, a founding member of the Wi-Fi Alliance, the term Wi-Fi was chosen from a list of ten names that Interbrand proposed.[31] Interbrand also created the Wi-Fi logo. The yin-yang Wi-Fi logo indicates the certification of a product for interoperability.[33] The name is often written as WiFi, Wifi, or wifi, but these are not approved by the Wi-Fi Alliance.

The name Wi-Fi is not short-form for 'Wireless Fidelity',[34] although the Wi-Fi Alliance did use the advertising slogan "The Standard for Wireless Fidelity" for a short time after the brand name was created,[31][33][35] and the Wi-Fi Alliance was also called the "Wireless Fidelity Alliance Inc." in some publications.[36] IEEE is a separate, but related, organization and their website has stated "WiFi is a short name for Wireless Fidelity".[37][38] The name Wi-Fi was partly chosen because it sounds similar to Hi-Fi, which consumers take to mean high fidelity or high quality. Interbrand hoped consumers would find the name catchy, and that they would assume this wireless protocol has high fidelity because of its name.[39]

48 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

From Wikipedia:

The name Wi-Fi, commercially used at least as early as August 1999,[30] was coined by the brand-consulting firm Interbrand. The Wi-Fi Alliance had hired Interbrand to create a name that was "a little catchier than 'IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence'."[31][32] According to Phil Belanger, a founding member of the Wi-Fi Alliance, the term Wi-Fi was chosen from a list of ten names that Interbrand proposed.[31] Interbrand also created the Wi-Fi logo. The yin-yang Wi-Fi logo indicates the certification of a product for interoperability.[33] The name is often written as WiFi, Wifi, or wifi, but these are not approved by the Wi-Fi Alliance.

The name Wi-Fi is not short-form for 'Wireless Fidelity',[34] although the Wi-Fi Alliance did use the advertising slogan "The Standard for Wireless Fidelity" for a short time after the brand name was created,[31][33][35] and the Wi-Fi Alliance was also called the "Wireless Fidelity Alliance Inc." in some publications.[36] IEEE is a separate, but related, organization and their website has stated "WiFi is a short name for Wireless Fidelity".[37][38] The name Wi-Fi was partly chosen because it sounds similar to Hi-Fi, which consumers take to mean high fidelity or high quality. Interbrand hoped consumers would find the name catchy, and that they would assume this wireless protocol has high fidelity because of its name.[39]

I prefer to call it Wiff-E ... with apologies to a previous tour guide ...

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2024 at 7:47 PM, voljeep said:

Good Grief ... to most all people - wifi and internet are the same thing ...

They don't know the difference between internet and intrAnet which you pointed out.  

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 hours ago, BamaVol said:

From Wikipedia:

The WiFi alliance coined the term "Wireless Fidelity," used it a marketing term, then they state that it means nothing after creating meaning for the term. So the term wifi has come to mean "wireless fidelity" whether it's creators meant for that to stick or not. Just my observation.                    

9 minutes ago, galensgrl said:

The WiFi alliance coined the term "Wireless Fidelity," used it a marketing term, then they state that it means nothing after creating meaning for the term. So the term wifi has come to mean "wireless fidelity" whether it's creators meant for that to stick or not. Just my observation.                    

It really doesn’t matter.  I have never asked someone for their wireless fidelity password.

• Haha 2