Additional Offerings in Luminae

I have often wondered why there was not an option for a basic filet for a nightly offering on the Luminae menu.  I am aware that this cut of beef is offered one time on a seven night cruise.   I was wondering if it could be added to the everyday offerings.   The cut of steak that is offered is not that prime cut of meat that you would expect when paying such a premium price for a Suite.   We do enjoy our time spent in the retreat and very much appreciate the Butler's being returned to service and the mini bar now being included.   Thank-you for being to kind as to answer this question.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've been an exclusive Celebrity Suite guest for the past 23 years.    I will start by saying thank you for making changing one entree per day.   I doubt this question will be answered.

I will say that the menu is boring and worn out especially for a guest that travels 12 to 16 weeks a year or more.   That as well many flip flops lately have forced us to start booking with other lines after all these years.  

One thing that attracted me to Cunard, Oceania, Silver Sea and Regent Seven Seas is the selection of as many as 20 entrees, starters and deserts as oppose to Celebrity's 4 Appetizers 5 Entrees and 3 deserts.     Even the selection of Ice Cream is limited to boring Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry while the MDR even offers daily specials.   To be honest MDR and BLU often are much better choices than those provided your Suite Passengers.

Comparison - 

Celebrity

IMG_1025.thumb.jpeg.8961f462dca3ef1e9570d5749dce76be.jpeg

Oceania

2203_DTP_Menu_GDR_Dinner_06_Page_1.thumb.jpg.2122a3138c23fc5c5857e0e3bb082e9e.jpg

2203_DTP_Menu_GDR_Dinner_06_Page_2.thumb.jpg.68e31bde2f9811681596e78f38cac684.jpg

2204_DTP_Menu_GDR_Dessert_06.thumb.jpg.69d970084d1494135c113708fcecb84d.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 22

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for continuing to choose to sail with us. We are continuously working on our menu variety whether that is rotating the menu items based on guest feedback or giving our chefs onboard the creative freedom to experiment and make the dishes we offer their own. Whenever you find yourself craving something on one of our MDR menus, but want to stay in the comfort of Luminae, we can have the food prepared and brought to you directly in Luminae. If you’re on an Edge Series ship this includes anything from Tuscan, Cosmopolitan, Cyprus, or Normandie. We will take this feedback back to the team too. We appreciate the feedback and are constantly looking for ways to elevate the experience on board for our guests. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laura Hodges Bethge said:

Thank you for continuing to choose to sail with us. We are continuously working on our menu variety whether that is rotating the menu items based on guest feedback or giving our chefs onboard the creative freedom to experiment and make the dishes we offer their own. Whenever you find yourself craving something on one of our MDR menus, but want to stay in the comfort of Luminae, we can have the food prepared and brought to you directly in Luminae. If you’re on an Edge Series ship this includes anything from Tuscan, Cosmopolitan, Cyprus, or Normandie. We will take this feedback back to the team too. We appreciate the feedback and are constantly looking for ways to elevate the experience on board for our guests. 

On Beyond in March we were told in Luminae that we could not order off any MDR menu as the kitchens are too far apart. The  food on Beyond Luminae was so bad we actually went to buffet and a MDR a few times.  All other cruises on S Class ships in Luminae food was excellent.  We will not sail on any E Class ships again.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

On Beyond in March we were told in Luminae that we could not order off any MDR menu as the kitchens are too far apart. The  food on Beyond Luminae was so bad we actually went to buffet and a MDR a few times.  All other cruises on S Class ships in Luminae food was excellent.  We will not sail on any E Class ships again.  

That seems to be another inconsistency as some report no problem ordering from MDR on EClass, others told no can do.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Laura Hodges Bethge said:

If you’re on an Edge Series ship this includes anything from Tuscan, Cosmopolitan, Cyprus, or Normandie. We will take this feedback back to the team too.

I cannot wait until we start hearing that this is in effect aboard the E-class ships.  It might even influence us to give E-class another try as this was one of the things we disliked about our cruise on the Edge.  

I wonder what impact it is going to have on the speed and quality of service if the staff are having to go from one end of the ship and back with orders for Luminae guest for food on the MDR menu?   

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I cannot wait until we start hearing that this is in effect aboard the E-class ships.  It might even influence us to give E-class another try as this was one of the things we disliked about our cruise on the Edge.  

I wonder what impact it is going to have on the speed and quality of service if the staff are having to go from one end of the ship and back with orders for Luminae guest for food on the MDR menu?   

I get what you are saying, but to me it’s if I want that menu then it’s where I will go to dinner.  Just like at home I would not ask my server to run to the restaurant next door because they have an item not on my selected restaurant menu.

Maybe I should print her reply and bring it with me.  Although, on Apex in December they would bring me food from other dining rooms.  Beyond in February, we had to preorder and the Maitre'd had to check if they could do it.  Last month on Beyond we were able to get main desserts if we preordered.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Liao said:

I get what you are saying, but to me it’s if I want that menu then it’s where I will go to dinner.  Just like at home I would not ask my server to run to the restaurant next door because they have an item not on my selected restaurant menu.

The restaurant you are sitting in and the restaurant next door are owned by the same company.  We’re not talking McDonald’s and Burger King.

• Haha 1

On Silversea, you have the choice of 4 free restaurants each night (there are two restaurants with an up-charge).  The "main" restaurant has a 6-page menu.  Literally a dozen "starters," including at least 2 soups, at least 2 salads, and a variety of other things.  At least a dozen entrees, some of which rotate and some staples.  Usually 2-4 red meat options, 2-4 fish options, chicken, shrimp or lobster (lobster can always be ordered with a day's notice), at least two vegetarian / vegan options, plus pork, pasta, etc.  

There are 3 other restaurants!

I love the service in Luminae.  However, agree that the menus get old, especially for those who sail with any frequency.  At least on the S and M class ships, you can order off MDR (LOVE, LOVE the French onion soup!).  I would not sail on Edge class in part b/c you can't order off MDR (b/c the galleys are very far apart).  

The thought seems to be:  you have your own dining room with more personalized service, what are you complaining about?  The fact that the food isn't always as good as the MDR and that the choices are very limited and don't change . . . get over it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Maybe I should print her reply and bring it with me.  Although, on Apex in December they would bring me food from other dining rooms.  Beyond in February, we had to preorder and the Maitre'd had to check if they could do it.  Last month on Beyond we were able to get main desserts if we preordered.

When we were on Edge (with you) our waiter would bring us MDR, BLU and Luminae menus for the next evening and ask us if we would like anything for the next evening.   While we really appreciated it sometimes it is hard to figure out what you might be in the mood for the next day.    Since we were in a RS on the second cruise we ate in Specialty about 50% of the time.    Not big meals.... In Tuscan one night I just had Soup and a Pizza.  

I'm still not impressed with the food prep in Luminae on E-Class, which was not addressed.

Posted (edited)

I had an odd experience on Edge, that's a combination of the above. The waiters kept telling me, if you find something on another menu you like, and request it the day before, then we can get it for you.

So we put that to the test a couple of times... but each time even though we'd ordered, we'd be shown the menu the next day and when we said we'd pre-ordered, they'd say this is good (on today's menu), how about that? And not delivering what was pre-ordered. But then when questioned, fall back on the 'just let us know and we can organise it.'

In the end, it seemed more corporate spin than reality.

And agreed with a poster above; we wound up going to Blu most of the time as their menu, and choices were so much better. It's sad that the MDR menu Celebrity used to have 10+ years ago was so much better than what is now in their top Luminae menu.

Edited by The_Big_M
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

I

And agreed with a poster above; we wound up going to Blu most of the time as their menu, and choices were so much better. It's sad that the MDR menu Celebrity used to have 10+ years ago was so much better than what is now in their top Luminae menu.

On the Beyond a couple weeks ago our waiter told us that over the course of the entire night (we eat late) exactly one person ordered the pigs feet carpaccio.  I wonder how long before they remove it.

13 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

On the Beyond a couple weeks ago our waiter told us that over the course of the entire night (we eat late) exactly one person ordered the pigs feet carpaccio.  I wonder how long before they remove it.

Yuck.  Although oso bucco is good.

6 hours ago, ggo85 said:

I would not sail on Edge class in part b/c you can't order off MDR (b/c the galleys are very far apart).  

Actually, Laura said that you could in one of her responses.  Still waiting for persons cruising on E-class to confirm that they are now able to do that.  We were told emphatically no the one time we said on Edge. 

On 7/23/2024 at 12:19 PM, Liao said:

We upgrade to the Retreat for special dining experiences and upgraded amenities aboard, not just for a larger cabin.  For the prices Celebrity is now charging for a suite (same prices as Luxury Lines Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas and RC's own SilverSeas), then to receive the disgusting food in Luminae, is completely unacceptable. Is why after my last Celebrity Cruise in October, I am defecting. Too many issues and no value for the price paid.

3 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

We upgrade to the Retreat for special dining experiences and upgraded amenities aboard, not just for a larger cabin.  For the prices Celebrity is now charging for a suite (same prices as Luxury Lines Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas and RC's own SilverSeas), then to receive the disgusting food in Luminae, is completely unacceptable. Is why after my last Celebrity Cruise in October, I am defecting. Too many issues and no value for the price paid.

I agree that is why I am going to give VV a try.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Liao said:

I agree that is why I am going to give VV a try.

I've read it's a good choice. Prices appear decent for large cabins and plenty of activities to entertain onboard!

19 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

I've read it's a good choice. Prices appear decent for large cabins and plenty of activities to entertain onboard!

The best part is they don’t allow anyone over 35 to cruise on Virigin.  😂

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

I've done a lot of research and watched a lot (too many?) videos, and I like what I see.  I've chatted with folks over on the VV CC page as well, most of whom moved to VV after many sailings on other lines, esp. Celebrity.  Almost all have never looked back.  Of course a few aren't converts for various reasons.  I look forward to find out for myself.  I went all in and booked a 15 day TA!

On 7/22/2024 at 5:45 PM, Laura Hodges Bethge said:

Sorry to say, but somehow the food concept of Luminae has failed completely. You try to create a so called gourmet experience but then experiement with the wrong combination of ingredients. This starts already from the basics, the homemade pasta you offer is excllent, but then i gets ruined with strange americanised sauce combinations. Luminea should be a venue combining Mediteranean, Asian fusion with a hint of haute cuisine of excellent quality. The way this is being interpreted is just a failure obviously you can't combine all these flavors at once, hence more organized themed menus would be needed per night with focus each night on a different theme combination. When it comes to certain dishes, like pasta more basic is better. Yes, as not everyone likes fusion, asian etc cuisine, have at least 2 classic starters and mains on the menu per day including Filet Mignion every night.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Sorry to say, but somehow the food concept of Luminae has failed completely. You try to create a so called gourmet experience but then experiement with the wrong combination of ingredients. This starts already from the basics, the homemade pasta you offer is excllent, but then i gets ruined with strange americanised sauce combinations. Luminea should be a venue combining Mediteranean, Asian fusion with a hint of haute cuisine of excellent quality. The way this is being interpreted is just a failure obviously you can't combine all these flavors at once, hence more organized themed menus would be needed per night with focus each night on a different theme combination. When it comes to certain dishes, like pasta more basic is better. Yes, as not everyone likes fusion, asian etc cuisine, have at least 2 classic starters and mains on the menu per day including Filet Mignion every night.

I do not want Mediterranean and Asian on the same plate.  😂

My Chinese husband is always going on and on about how HIS ancestors invented pasta.  As if.  🙄

Edited by zitsky

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I do not want Mediterranean and Asian on the same plate.  😂

My Chinese husband is always going on and on about how HIS ancestors invented pasta.  As if.  🙄

of course not, that's why their pasta dishes should remain more simplified with a fresh tomato, Caio Pepe or Pesto sauce using the freshest ingredients. One of the secrets of great italian dishes, the fresh ingredients 🙂

3 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

of course not, that's why their pasta dishes should remain more simplified with a fresh tomato, Caio Pepe or Pesto sauce using the freshest ingredients. One of the secrets of great italian dishes, the fresh ingredients 🙂

My husband has been making his own tomato pasta sauce for a few years.  Last time I said “can’t we just use the sauce from the jar (it’s thicker)”.  😂

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

My Chinese husband is always going on and on about how HIS ancestors invented pasta.

You know he's correct don't you?  Chineese were eating noodles way before the Italians.  

• Like 1