What are the hairdryers like?

I have always brought my own dryer but not sure if I will have room this time. Trying to do carryon only. What are the dryers like?  We will be on the Sky Princess if that matters. 

Thanks. I know they are in the drawer but have never used them because I brought my own. I see someone dug up a two year old thread where someone asked the same question 😊

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, dickinson said:

I see someone dug up a two year old thread where someone asked the same question 😊

I just Googled it, I've found it works better than the search function here and will pull up Cruise Critic threads as the first results. No digging required 😊

I've always used the ship's hairdryers with no problems. The responses on the old thread said they worked fine too.

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Thanks 1

The Princess dryers are definitely not the best. They're pretty underpowered, and they don't get tremendously hot. They're attached to the desk drawer, as pictured in this thread, and they're the type which requires the button to be pressed down continuously to operate the dryer.

These dryers work for me, but they ONLY work for me because: 1) I do the Brazilian Blowout treatment on my hair at home every few months, which makes it dry much more quickly/easily, and 2) my hair is only shoulder length. I think that people who have longer/thicker/more textured hair could potentially be quite dissatisfied with the Princess dryer.

My technique is using the Princess dryer to rough-dry my hair in sections, and then doing a quick final smoothing with a blow dryer brush that I bring. I have one of the Revlon blow dryer brushes, which admittedly are not tiny, but mine DOES separate into two pieces for easier packing.

You could try searching Amazon, Ulta, etc. to look for smaller blow dryer brush options, which, if used in conjunction with the Princess dryer, might allow you to leave your regular hair dryer at home?

Alternatively, though it may be more expensive, you could schedule a blowout or two at the salon on board the ship (depending on your hair/wash schedule/cruise length) and just bring a little dry shampoo with you!

I always carry a very small travel blow dryer.  Haven't used mine/nor there's in years.  From my cabin mate who doesn't have very thick hair, has said, that it isn't very strong, bulky, and hard to use.  

I did a quick search.  Can't find mine anywhere.  It doesn't have that large cone shape dryer.  Sleek and slim.

Do you want to borrow it?  Where can I leave it...haha!

Posted (edited)

@cr8tiv1 If you can't find it anywhere then how could I borrow it? 😉  If you do find it, then maybe  you could leave it at the front desk of my hotel in London.  If I remember correctly you might be traveling a day or so before me.  let me know and I'll tell you my hotel! 🙃

Edited by dickinson

The hairdryers on Princess ships pre Sphere Class are just noise makers, nothing more. 

It looks like on the Sun, Drybar hairdryers are provided.  Drybar is heavily promoted by influencers, so it has promise, and their products do have good reviews.  Haven't sailed the Sun so cannot comment.  The question is if Princess will continue with this product if they break or go missing.  On the Sun, the hairdryers are in a pouch and aren't tethered down, so passengers could potentially take them.

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

@cr8tiv1 If you can't find it anywhere then how could I borrow it? 😉  If you do find it, then maybe  you could leave it at the front desk of my hotel in London.  If I remember correctly you might be traveling a day or so before me.  let me know and I'll tell you my hotel! 🙃

I could not find it for you to buy.  I have mine.  Sorry, not going near London.  Mine is already packed.  It's like my swim suit.  Goes on every cruise and never taken out of packing cube.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I could not find it for you to buy.  I have mine.  Sorry, not going near London.  Mine is already packed.  It's like my swim suit.  Goes on every cruise and never taken out of packing cube.

I'm checking online for travel hairdryers with dual voltage. Thanks for the tip to look for one,.

15 minutes ago, beshears said:

Rustysunshine, so are you saying when using the hair dryers, you have to HOLD the button in at all times to get it to work?

Yes, the dryers I've used aboard Royal/Regal/Discovery are all the type where the button must be held/pressed to operate the dryer, exactly the same as a lot of hotel blow dryers that are wall-mounted.

• Like 1

The ship hairdryers (even on the Royal which aren’t as bad as hotel hairdryers) make me really appreciate my ceramic hairdryer - it really does reduce the frizz. If i have space I’d bring my own (but not a travel size one). 

• Like 1

Bring your own. Some hair dryers are old and slow. The newer ships

have better ones but I have found that when I bring my own I know exactly what I am getting versus praying that it will perform the way I need. 

I have thick shorter hair, the hair dryers are fine. I was just on Sun Princess they went all out with dryers from the Dry Bar $$$. Of course, if it's missing you will be charged 150.00 or more 🙂

I have long thick 2C curly hair. The ship hairdryers are terrible. My hair was a wold frizzy mess the whole cruise. Never again. I will always make room in my carryon for my Curlsmith Defrizzion travel hair dryer.  It's not tiny but it earns it's spot in my bag for sure!

Just back from Caribbean Princess. The hairdryer was in a casing attached to the wall and it was difficult to release it. It had two settings - 1 and 2 - and you don’t have to press it continuously. I have short hair so it was sufficient but probably not enough power for long hair. I imagine that it would also be difficult to style longer hair as it didn’t have a nozzle.