Prebook main dining

We are first time Princess Cruisers in November (14 day) Sky Premier and have been dipping into the site occasionally for info and entertainment – thanks all.  What strikes me is the number of posts about reserving dining, which appears to be fraught with angst and difficulty.  I have booked the two speciality dining venues with no problem and note that there are three Casual Dining Areas available to roll up and see.  That takes care of five evenings at least.   I can’t see it will be difficult to get fed on the other nine nights given that there is a buffet, a burger bar and three dining rooms.  Wouldn’t wish to get involved with booking and cancelling etc, but would if required.  We are, in addition, on a so called Good Food at Sea promotion festa where I hope there will be the odd tasting, which in my case will probably knock any desire for an evening meal out of the porthole.  Please reassure DW,  if you feel able, that prebooking is unnecessary. Don’t want to have our evenings mapped out.  We veer towards 19:30,  but are adaptable.

All you have to do is go to the MDR when you want to eat and they will seat you. You might have a short wait. Personally, O'Malleys and Gigi's are fine for lunch, but I wouldn't skip the MDR for them.

1 minute ago, rowingmachine said:

We are first time Princess Cruisers in November (14 day) Sky Premier and have been dipping into the site occasionally for info and entertainment – thanks all.  What strikes me is the number of posts about reserving dining, which appears to be fraught with angst and difficulty.  I have booked the two speciality dining venues with no problem and note that there are three Casual Dining Areas available to roll up and see.  That takes care of five evenings at least.   I can’t see it will be difficult to get fed on the other nine nights given that there is a buffet, a burger bar and three dining rooms.  Wouldn’t wish to get involved with booking and cancelling etc, but would if required.  We are, in addition, on a so called Good Food at Sea promotion festa where I hope there will be the odd tasting, which in my case will probably knock any desire for an evening meal out of the porthole.  Please reassure DW,  if you feel able, that prebooking is unnecessary. Don’t want to have our evenings mapped out.  We veer towards 19:30,  but are adaptable.

Given what you say, I think you're right. For your plans and situation, it seems to me that there's no need to worry about reservations. For the nights you want to eat in the MDR, you can just turn up at the walk-in location.

Way too much angst about issues with the new MDR reservation system.  Give it a bit of time and remember many book a reservation as a placeholder and cancel.or change once on board. 

Also private table vs shared dining changes once on board.

Posted (edited)

A new dining system, and the new PREMIER package that includes two Specialty Dining suppers...  add those together, and yes, it is 'fraught'.    I would not call other cruisers questions and concerns 'angst'...  like it is some kind of unwarranted and negative thing.

These are very real questions and concerns.

So...  To to poster here.  Yes, there are a lot of comments and questions.

It sounds like you are what might be called a 'casual cruiser' and are happy to just go with the flow...  if that means buffet or burger bar... or eating late...  whatever.

That is good!!!

Many Princess cruisers are a bit less casual when it comes to dining.

Some will not dine early...  They are great with late evenings.

Some are not able to dine late if they want to watch their health, or turn-in earlier.

Some hate to dress and go to the main dining rooms..  Some will avoid Buffett dining.

(which is all served to you, prepared, by staff on the SUN...  no community handling)

Here is my advice, if you do not want to do a lot of pre-planning.

It seems that 6:00 or 6:30 to 7:30  (8:00 to 19:30)  will be the time that a lot of people will show up, many without reservations.  This could involve a wait time.  

If you can go with the flow..  show up before 19:00 and then maybe grab a drink at a nearby venue while you wait.  That would probably work out for you.

Do have patience...  and know that the first night or two seem to be less organized and maybe longer waits.  Many report that everything kind of irons itself out as guests and staff fall into sync.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@rowingmachine, I hope that after reading the previous replies you have been able to ease your wife's concerns.  I am going to add a bit of information that I hope does not cause any confusion.

As you mentioned in your opening post there are three dining rooms on the Sky Princess.  Subsequent respondents have advised you to just go to the MDR.  Which of those three rooms do you think is the Main Dining Room?  To my way of thinking there can only be one Main Dining room.  So, on the Sky Princess would that be the Cielo Dining Room or Estrella Dining Room or the Soleil Dining Room?

In September Princess is rolling out a new program regarding the operations of the dining rooms on their ships.  So, this new paradigm should be well in place for your November cruise.

• One dining room will be designated for Traditional Dining.  In this scenario there will be two seatings at fixed times for passengers to have their dinners at the same table with the same server staff every evening.
  • One dining room will be designated for passengers who want to make a reservation--possibly, the same time every night, possibly different times on different days, possibly, for only selected days.
  • One dining room will be designated for passengers who want to walk in on the days they desire at the time they desire.  Understandably, there can be a wait if one wants to dine during the most popular times

It is the third of these that you seem to be looking for.  I assume that once you are on board, you will be advised which of the dining rooms are following which rules.  If you mistakenly go to the "Traditional Dining" or "Reserved Seating" room. I am sure that one of the greeters will courteously redirect you.

Also, I think your plan of mixing your dinners among the various venues on the ship is excellent.

Bon voyage.

Edited by XBGuy

Posted (edited)

@rowingmachine sounds like for you, you are traveling on Sky Princess November 2024 and not concerned with making a reservation for dinner. 
The Estrella  dinning room should be the walk in restaurant ,incase you needed to know. No reservation needed.

Sounds like you enjoy the later time frame of dining 19:30 or after,you should be good.

Edited by arizonaperson

Going on the Enchanted Princess in August.  Want to book some dinners around show times.  What are the typical nightly showtimes on Princess?

2 hours ago, Coochuck said:

Going on the Enchanted Princess in August.  Want to book some dinners around show times.  What are the typical nightly showtimes on Princess?

Since the restart they have been at 7:30 and 9:30 however they could vary slightly.