Change or Cancel

I have a cruise booked for February 2025 (it was booked this when we were on-board back in Feb 2024; we've only paid the initial onboard $200 deposit - on a side note how is non-refundable and non-changeable the same thing 🙄), friends have now decided to cruise 2 weeks later and we are "weighing" the fees change to their cruise vs just skipping the friends cruise for 2025.  

If I decide to go with the friends, Is it better to change my cruise and pay the $200 or can I just cancel my existing cruise; which Im guessing will incur that same $200 fee; but clearly I could be wrong? 

Has anyone ever had any luck getting the fee reduced or getting OBC to offset the fee when changing?  

Going on both isn't feasible as we need to fly in for the cruises and while Id love to take 3 weeks off all at once; work wouldn't love that idea.

In this instance the change fee and the deposit are the same so I don't think it makes any difference what you do.  Either one ends with the same outcome.  You're out $100.00

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

In this instance the change fee and the deposit are the same so I don't think it makes any difference what you do.  Either one ends with the same outcome.  You're out $100.00

Actually, changing = $100 each, cancelling = $100 each + increased deposit amount for new cruise, if not booking on board.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Actually, changing = $100 each, cancelling = $100 each + increased deposit amount for new cruise, if not booking on board.

Ah, I never thought about the increased deposit... Thanks for that...

On 7/7/2024 at 4:29 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Changing it you will keep the obc from the next cruise booking.  Cancelling you will lose that.

I thought if changed you lose OBC? Please confirm as we are in the similar boat, trying to decide whether to cancel or change an on board reservation.

31 minutes ago, Sianli said:

I thought if changed you lose OBC? Please confirm as we are in the similar boat, trying to decide whether to cancel or change an on board reservation.

Next cruise obc stays and will even change to a higher or lower amount if you change cabin categories or sailing length.  

You would lose promo obc and get whatever the current promo, if any is offering. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2024 at 6:18 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Next cruise obc stays and will even change to a higher or lower amount if you change cabin categories or sailing length.  

You would lose promo obc and get whatever the current promo, if any is offering. 

Ironically, I've noticed that they took away my obc....it wasn't a lot so whatever.  🤨 Just annoying.

Personally, I would stay on my existing cruise and let the "friends" go on their own. If they changed their minds once, they will change again, and I am not going to incur costs (unless they are paying) because they can't make up their minds. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Personally, I would stay on my existing cruise and let the "friends" go on their own. If they changed their minds once, they will change again, and I am not going to incur costs (unless they are paying) because they can't make up their minds. 

I 100% agree with this.

Our last cruise and an upcoming one were both booked on the understanding that friends would be coming with us and in both cases they backed out. So, from now on we will be working on the assumption that it's going to be just us. Then if anyone else wants to join us, fine, the more the merrier, but at least we will have booked what we want rather than what an indecisive friend thought they wanted.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2024 at 5:55 PM, Tree_skier said:

Ah, I never thought about the increased deposit... Thanks for that...

Does it really matter in the end? You either pay more at deposit or you pay more at final. It has no effect on the bottom line.

12 hours ago, BillsMafiaBabe said:

Ironically, I've noticed that they took away my obc....it wasn't a lot so whatever.  🤨 Just annoying.

The loss of the $200 change fee may be the least of your $$ worries. Moving to a new cruise that is only 6 months out would also most likely result in a significant increase in the price of the cruise itself - even if you were on the same ship and in the same cabin category. The prices of both of our February 2025 cruises have more than doubled since we initially booked.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Does it really matter in the end? You either pay more at deposit or you pay more at final. It has no effect on the bottom line.

It doesn't in this instance really... That was my original thought. However, I did want to acknowledge that there was a slight difference in the point that @Another_Critic made.  It is a very insignificant difference. but a difference none the less.