P&O AU vs Carnival AU drinks packages.

We have  bitten the bullet and booked a P&O operated by Carnival Cruise next year!  I have this feeling though, that they will make a change to the packages once P&O has officially exited in March.

Much like how packages within P&O were changed last year.

Once P&O is officially out I really can't see them managing different ships with different package inclusions if everything merges onto one Carnival website.

We have nieces and nephews in their early 20's coming and they were asking about the packages. We decided to look at the differences between Carnival and P&O just incase said cruise will end up with Carnival inclusions. (Because nothing is guaranteed at this stage)

Am I reading right? Carnival Australia  do not have any packages that include cafe coffee? 

8 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Am I reading right? Carnival Australia  do not have any packages that include cafe coffee? 

Correct. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

We have  bitten the bullet and booked a P&O operated by Carnival Cruise next year!  I have this feeling though, that they will make a change to the packages once P&O has officially exited in March.

Much like how packages within P&O were changed last year.

Once P&O is officially out I really can't see them managing different ships with different package inclusions if everything merges onto one Carnival website.

We have nieces and nephews in their early 20's coming and they were asking about the packages. We decided to look at the differences between Carnival and P&O just incase said cruise will end up with Carnival inclusions. (Because nothing is guaranteed at this stage)

They are still talking about a transition period, as many who had already booked were expecting a P&O cruise and they are trying to keep both camps pleased so they don't have to offer refunds. I don't know if the drink packages will change straight away, or will be kept in the same format until 2026. For now, there is no mention of Carnival Adventure or Carnival Encounter on Carnival.com and no links to book from there either.

Correct, Carnival's doesn't include coffee. However, Carnival will make most similar drinks in the price cap, where P&O's is pretty much just drinks listed on the menu (off menu drinks are priced by the sum of the parts). Carnival has some binge savings with 3 litre beer tubes and fishbowl cocktails. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Carnival has some binge savings with 3 litre beer tubes and fishbowl cocktails.

OMGosh those sound dangerous!! I am sure my hubby would approve. Not for me. I am happy with a couple of glasses of wine or one beer.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

No coffee on a drinks package????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ye gods. Another reason to shun Carnival!!!!

Right? I thought it was strange and I must of been missing something!

They don't seem to have an all inclusive option of alcohol and coffee either.

When I checked the USA currency ships, they do offer speciality coffee just not on the Aussie ones. 🤷‍♀️

USA https://www.carnival.com/drink-packages/cheers-package/cheers-SUM

Aus https://www.carnival.com.au/drink-packages/cheers-package/cheers-BTA

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
Added links

P&O used to be the same before they bought out their dearer package. At one stage also, their "unlimited" package was 15 drinks - including any waters and coffees.

For the wine drinker, these bundles might steer a few away from drinks packages.

Deluxe 5 bottle package - $180

Sparkling Chardonnay-Pinot Noir, Two Truths,  Southeastern Australia, Australia

Prosecco, De Bortoli Wines, King Valley Australia, Australia

Prosecco Rosé, Brown Brothers, Victoria, Australia

Sauvignon Blanc, Ruffled Feather, Eastern Australia, Australia

Sauvignon Blanc, Ride On, Marlborough, New Zealand

Sauvignon Blanc, Andrew Peace, ‘Empress’ , Soanna Vineyard, Limestone Coast, Australia

Sauvignon Blanc, Kim Crawford, Marlborough, New Zealand

Pinot Gris, Andrew Peace, ‘Empress’ , Soanna Vineyard, Limestone Coast, Australia

Pinot Grigio, Devil’s Corner, Tasmania, Australia

Pinot Gris, De Bortoli Wines, ‘LaBoheme‘ Act Three’ , Yarra Valley, Australia

Chardonnay, Chatsworth Estate, South East Australia, Australia

Chardonnay, AndrewPeace, ‘Empress’ , Wrattonbully, Limestone Coast, Australia

Moscato, Seahorse Bay, Southeast Australia, Australia

Moscato, Brown Brothers, King Valley, Australia

Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc, De Bortoli Wines, ‘Willowglen’ , Riverina, Australia

Rosé, Andrew Peace, ‘Masterpeace’ , Victoria, Australia

Rosé, De Bortoli Wines, ‘LaBoheme Act Two’ , Yarra Valley, Australia

Pinot Noir, Moppity Vineyards, ‘Lock & Key’ , Tumbarumba, Australia

Shiraz-Cabernet, De Bortoli Wines, ‘Willowglen’ , Riverina, Australia

Shiraz, Chatsworth Estate, Southeast Australia, Australia

Cabernet Sauvignon, St. Augustus, Langhorne Creek, Australia

Cabernet Sauvignon, Two Truths, Coonawarra, Australia

Cabernet Sauvignon, Andrew Peace, ‘Winemaker’s Choice’ , Langhorne Creek, Australia

Grenache-Shiraz-Mourvèdre, D’Arenberg, ‘The Stump Jump’ , McLaren Vale, Australia

Malbec, Alamos, Mendoza, Argentina Merlot, Andrew Peace, ‘Masterpeace’ , SouthEastern Australia, 

Premium 5 bottle package - $260

Sparkling Chardonnay-Pinot Noir, Tyrrell’s, Hunter Valley, Australia

Sparkling Chardonnay, The Lane Vineyard Lois’Blanc De Blanc Adelaide Hills, Australia

Sparkling Rosé, Petaluma ‘Croser’ , Adelaide Hills, Australia

Sauvignon Blanc, The Lane, Adelaide Hills, Australia

Sauvignon Blanc, Robert Oatley Vineyards Signature Series’ , Margaret River, Australia

Sauvignon Blanc, Squealing Pig, Marlborough, New Zealand

Sauvignon Blanc, Pipers Brook, Tasmania, Australia

Pinot Grigio, Santi‘ Sortesele’ , Veneto, Italy

Chardonnay, De Bortoli Wines‘ The Estate Vineyard’ , Dixons Creek, Yarra Valley, Australia

Chardonnay, Tyrrell’s Wines‘ Hunter Valley’ , Hunter Valley, Australia

Albariño, Margan Estate, Hunter Valley, Australia

Riesling, LeasinghamWines‘Bin7’ , Clare Valley, Australia

Riesling, Jim Barry Wines, Clare Valley, Australia

Sémillon, Tyrrell’s‘ Hunter Valley , Hunter Valley, Australia

Sémillon, Brokenwood, Hunter Valley, Australia

Vermentino, Bremerton, Langhorne Creek, Australia

Viognier, Yalumba‘ YSeries’ , South Australia, Australia

Rosé, Yalumba YSeries , South Australia, Australia

Rosé, Maison Castel, Provence, France

Pinot Noir, Rob Dolan Wines True Colours , Yarra Valley, Australia

Pinot Noir, Terra Sancta‘ Mysterious Diggings , Bannockburn Central Otago, New Zealand

Shiraz, De Bortoli Wines ‘Woodfired Shiraz’ , Heathcote, Australia

Shiraz, Mount Langi Ghiran‘ Billi Billi’ , Grampians, Australia

Shiraz, Chateau Tanunda, Barossa Valley, Australia

Shiraz, KAP Bros Wines, McLarenVale, Australia

Barbera, Margan Estate, Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia

Malbec, Bleasdale‘SecondInnings’ , Langhorne Creek, Australia

Merlot, Grant Burge Wines Hillcot Vineyard, Barossa, Australia

Tempranillo-Graciano-Shiraz, Margan Estate ‘Breaking Ground’ Hunter Valley, Australia

Stickies, Botrytis Viognier, Yalumba ‘FSW’ , Wrattonbully

They appear to be suitable strength. The barman in the Alchemy Bar said most of their cocktails/martinis were doubles.

The newer bar staff are all being trained to make those standard P&O staples like Toblerones & Fruit Tingles, so even though they aren't on menus, they intend to carry them on. Just a few of the menus.

Screenshot_20240706_141934_Carnival HUB.jpg

Screenshot_20240706_141945_Carnival HUB.jpg

Screenshot_20240706_142006_Carnival HUB.jpg

Screenshot_20240706_142031_Carnival HUB.jpg

Screenshot_20240706_142048_Carnival HUB.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, martin jenkins said:

t p&o's cocktails are disgusting

They were quite bad on the most recent trip - the mixers and cheaper spirits has changed from 2 years ago. We had the package included in our fare so I tried a few and I really didn't  enjoy them,  in the end I just drank wine and beer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

They appear to be suitable strength. The barman in the Alchemy Bar said most of their cocktails/martinis were doubles.

The newer bar staff are all being trained to make those standard P&O staples like Toblerones & Fruit Tingles, so even though they aren't on menus, they intend to carry them on. Just a few of the menus.

Screenshot_20240706_141934_Carnival HUB.jpg

Screenshot_20240706_141945_Carnival HUB.jpg

Screenshot_20240706_142006_Carnival HUB.jpg

Screenshot_20240706_142031_Carnival HUB.jpg

Screenshot_20240706_142048_Carnival HUB.jpg

No gin martinis? They've definitely lost me if so.🥴

4 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

They were quite bad on the most recent trip - the mixers and cheaper spirits has changed from 2 years ago. We had the package included in our fare so I tried a few and I really didn't  enjoy them,  in the end I just drank wine and beer.

They weren't too bad on Encounter 14 months ago, but things change I guess

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

Vodka or gin martinis, your choice on Carnival as well.

Still don't think Carnival's my thing, but good to know. Now if I can just convince them to stir, not shake......................

8 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Still don't think Carnival's my thing, but good to know. Now if I can just convince them to stir, not shake......................

Carnival is a bit different, but not all that different to P&O. All swings and roundabouts, and P&O will no longer be an option in the years ahead. Carnival is only a plan B option for us anyway. Just find the good bar for the good mixologists. It is the quality of the mixologist, not the brand of ship, that determines whether you can get a good martini. A good mixologist will usually appreciate that you know what you like when you order your drink.

The only thing they are not geared for is a naked martini, but the QM2 Commodore Club has been the only place I have been able to get one of those on a cruise.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

Carnival is a bit different, but not all that different to P&O. All swings and roundabouts, and P&O will no longer be an option in the years ahead. Carnival is only a plan B option for us anyway. Just find the good bar for the good mixologists. It is the quality of the mixologist, not the brand of ship, that determines whether you can get a good martini. A good mixologist will usually appreciate that you know what you like when you order your drink.

The only thing they are not geared for is a naked martini, but the QM2 Commodore Club has been the only place I have been able to get one of those on a cruise.

I had to google naked martini! I had visions of being asked to perform a strip tease in order to get one! 🤣 Wouldn't be a pretty sight, but I'd be assured of having the bar to myself after horrified patrons exited en mass!😮

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

I had to google naked martini! I had visions of being asked to perform a strip tease in order to get one! 🤣 Wouldn't be a pretty sight, but I'd be assured of having the bar to myself after horrified patrons exited en mass!😮

I did a google search too. It wasn't what I expexted!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 11:11 PM, Mycruiseobsession said:

I was on was Explorer. I am going on Encounter later this year so I will compare.

I recommend the little bar right up the front of the ship next to the theatre.  Can't remember the name, both Adventure and Encounter have them but themed slightly differently.  The drinks are a bit more expensive but excellent, and it's a lovely atmosphere, though sadly often empty. 

Posted (edited)

That sounds like The Bonded Store. Our absolute favourite and never crowded. And the martinis are excellent!!! Well, they are/were on Encounter.

Edited by ceeceeDee
  • Like 1