Gratuities

Ichabod123

I'm about to go on my first cruise with Cuunard, having cruised with P&O many times previouslly. I have a question about gratuities:

1) Are they automatically added to my account? If so, can they be removed?

2) Are they discretionary?

3) Are they iincluded in the cost of the cruise - as per P&O?

3 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

I'm about to go on my first cruise with Cuunard, having cruised with P&O many times previouslly. I have a question about gratuities:

1) Are they automatically added to my account? If so, can they be removed?

2) Are they discretionary?

3) Are they iincluded in the cost of the cruise - as per P&O?

1. Yes.Yes.

2. See 1.

3. No.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Automatically added and most people do not have them removed. They are added to your cruise account daily.  The cruise account may be viewed and a printout requested from pursers desk as often as you want if yo wish.

Regards John

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, delaware32 said:

With regard to the gratuities, can  they be prepaid?

There are occasional Cunard promotions where they are prepaid. [or onboard credit sourced from Cunard or our $UNNAMED_TRAVEL_AGENT is sufficient for the daily charges]

9 minutes ago, delaware32 said:

With regard to the gratuities, can  they be prepaid?

Not quite unless it's a Travel Agency or special offer perk. The Hotel Service Charge is added to the account in the early hours of the first night of sailing and for the whole of the sailing. But you could go to the purser's desk on embarkation and ask to pay it upfront. Technically I think they remove the Hotel Service Charge and then you pay your own charge, and if you have your cash paid into the account at this point then it's drawn off this rather than OBC.

18 hours ago, john watson said:

They are added to your cruise account daily. 

John, On our crossing last month, the gratuities for the entire crossing were posted to our account on the first morning. Not sure if that is the new normal or has something to do with it being a Crossing.

Jack

On 7/10/2024 at 9:50 AM, Ichabod123 said:

I have a question about gratuities:

If you book a Grills level cabin in the US there is very often a promotion that includes complimentary gratuities and drinks package.  

Jack

5 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

John, On our crossing last month, the gratuities for the entire crossing were posted to our account on the first morning. Not sure if that is the new normal or has something to do with it being a Crossing.

Jack

It’s what they’ve been doing for years in my experience.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

It’s what they’ve been doing for years in my experience.

I still have May's statement and you're quite correct. Service charge was added the day after embarkation.

Just checking to see if I had the option to pay the gratuities before we sail. I fully expect a daily service charge. On lines, other than Cunard, I've been able to prepay the service chargeI expect this basic charge and still tip above this. Crew works very hard.

7 hours ago, delaware32 said:

Just checking to see if I had the option to pay the gratuities before we sail. I fully expect a daily service charge. On lines, other than Cunard, I've been able to prepay the service chargeI expect this basic charge and still tip above this. Crew works very hard.

No Cunard don’t offer this option.

When we sail we leave the Daily Auto Gratuities on our Account. And believe we have never remove them since we believe those working hard deserve to be recognized.

"Are they discretionary?"

Our Exceptional (Above & Beyond) Service are shared with the appropriate Staff and the end of the Sailing. Those we recognize are the Cabin/Suite Staff and the Dining Room Staff. Waiters/Asst. Waiters that fulfill our special needs beyond normal requests. If we have certain requests that are asked of the M'd, we will use certain discretion.

Our Wine Steward assigned to our table will be recognized if certain requests are for filled. We know that there is a 15% added on all drink receipts but wish to recognize him as an individual for his services.

Room Service gratuities are always given at the time we are serviced after delivered to the Cabin/Suite. Many do appreciate the tip offered.

Off Subject........If on an Shore Excursion.....some passengers will show appreciation to the Tour Guide and Driver if they believe they truly enjoyed the Excursion and were properly cared for.

On 7/11/2024 at 9:44 AM, Pushpit said:

Not quite unless it's a Travel Agency or special offer perk. The Hotel Service Charge is added to the account in the early hours of the first night of sailing and for the whole of the sailing. But you could go to the purser's desk on embarkation and ask to pay it upfront. Technically I think they remove the Hotel Service Charge and then you pay your own charge, and if you have your cash paid into the account at this point then it's drawn off this rather than OBC.

Is it per person or room?  My traveling friend wants to know.🤔

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

Is it per person or room?  My traveling friend wants to know.🤔

The service charge for Queens and Princess Grill Suites will be $18 per person per day, and Britannia Staterooms will be $16 per person per day.

per Cunard Site.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

The service charge for Queens and Princess Grill Suites will be $18 per person per day, and Britannia Staterooms will be $16 per person per day.

per Cunard Site.

That seems reasonable.   18X10 180$.  We are in a Princess Grill suite.

So it just becomes some of the money I owe at the the end of the cruise?  

I haven't cruised for a few years, so this is somewhat new for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Judyrem said:

Yes that’s a good way of looking at it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Yes, normally you get a large envelope statement on your last night, or early morning on disembarkation, it shows all the charges you have accumulated, such as drinks and spa treatments. But just about the first entry will be the Hotel Service Charge, one entry, all nights charged at once. If you have no OBC left at the end of the sailing then the remaining amount outstanding, including this Hotel Service Charge, gets billed on disembarkation day to your nominated credit card. If you have a large OBC then it may be you won't see anything more charged but you still get the paper statement.

If you use the Cunard "app", myvoyage, then you will see it listed then on the first morning after departure, so you can track that, any other charges and the state of your OBC as you go along. Some people go to the purser's desk and ask for a mid voyage print-out, if you prefer not to use myvoyage. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Yes, normally you get a large envelope statement on your last night, or early morning on disembarkation, it shows all the charges you have accumulated, such as drinks and spa treatments. But just about the first entry will be the Hotel Service Charge, one entry, all nights charged at once. If you have no OBC left at the end of the sailing then the remaining amount outstanding, including this Hotel Service Charge, gets billed on disembarkation day to your nominated credit card. If you have a large OBC then it may be you won't see anything more charged but you still get the paper statement.

If you use the Cunard "app", myvoyage, then you will see it listed then on the first morning after departure, so you can track that, any other charges and the state of your OBC as you go along. Some people go to the purser's desk and ask for a mid voyage print-out, if you prefer not to use myvoyage. 

Great info, thanks!

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Yes that’s a good way of looking at it. 

We agree it's justified for the service.

We never asked to have it removed or altered. They work very hard and appreciate it.

Researching the internet, the other lines even charge high amounts and also even for room service and gratuity to boot

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I am a generous  tipper because when I was working through college I was a waitress and  hotel attendant and know how very hard the work is.

Edited by Judyrem
Mistake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1