Casual Dining on Crown Princess

This will be our 6th Princess cruise, leaving next month from San Francisco to Alaska.  First cruise since Dec of 2022 when we did Panama Canal with Princess. I am confused about dining. We are booked with Princess Plus, but now it looks like casual pizza and burgers near the pool is a charge!$!. 

We are confused as the Princess Plus summary says "two per sailing" for "casual dining". Does that mean pizza and burgers? What about the other dining options? Not sure what, if any, options are on the Crown, other than buffet and dining room, which we know are included.

Sorry, but we are confused....any help is appreciated.

The grill and pizza by the pool are included. Unfortunately, the Crown does not have many casual places that the credit is valid for. On other ships, the credit is good for GiGis/Alfredo's pizza, O'Malley's, Salty Dog, etc. Unfortunately, the Crown's options will be limited to the popups that occur in the buffet.

24 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Crown has the Salty Dog. Been there twice because as you say, the pickin's are slim!

Crown Princess has Salty Dog Gastropub and also Vines. Those will be the only two options for the pre fixe meals.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Crown Princess has Salty Dog Gastropub and also Vines. Those will be the only two options for the pre fixe meals.

I forgot Vines! Nice catch!

@MaderaMan, do not confuse what many ships now call SaltyDogGrill, which is the burger, hot dog, etc. grill on the pool deck, which is included in your fare and no additional $$. The lido deck Pizza, probably named Slice, is also included. 

It is the Alfredo’s /Gigi’s(sit down Pizzeria)locations that were before included that is now considered a casual dining venue and has a charge to dine unless you have Plus or Premier. Crown Princess does not have Alfredo’s or Gigi’s, just Lido deck for Pizza.

The SaltyDogGastroPub on some ships has always been an extra charge venue and on the Crown is located in the Wheelhouse bar. It usually is walk up only and only available during dinner.

As noted, on Crown, your casual dining venues are SaltyDogGastroPub and Vines which serves a deli plate and truffles.

Posted (edited)

@MaderaMan Might be at lunch or dinner time ? a pop up restaurant ( AK voyages)in World fresh market area ( buffet)the crab shack, I think you can use one of your dining credits there. Maybe crab shack is considered specialty dining? Just ask once you’re onboard and hopefully they’ll steer you in the right way for your two casual dining meals per person..

here are the menus for the other two places.

IMG_9922.thumb.jpeg.1a19ffd232c3d9ea16bd2df7faf81357.jpeg

IMG_9921.thumb.jpeg.4a046bf018867f70f6cf2c3fa748623c.jpeg

IMG_9417.thumb.jpeg.e7c06e1612f5db9f988cd3154c1d13c9.jpeg

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Thanks 1

I've seen some discussion about whether a couple who both have Plus can share a charcuterie board at Vines and only be "charged" for 1 casual dining. It seems that some people indicated they got "charged" for 2 casual dinings, even though only 1 board was ordered. Anybody have recent experience, esp. on the Crown?

18 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

@MaderaMan Might be at lunch or dinner time ? a pop up restaurant ( AK voyages)in World fresh market area ( buffet)the crab shack, I think you can use one of your dining credits there. Maybe crab shack is considered specialty dining? Just ask once you’re onboard and hopefully they’ll steer you in the right way for your two casual dining meals per person..

here are the menus for the other two places.

IMG_9922.thumb.jpeg.1a19ffd232c3d9ea16bd2df7faf81357.jpeg

IMG_9921.thumb.jpeg.4a046bf018867f70f6cf2c3fa748623c.jpeg

IMG_9417.thumb.jpeg.e7c06e1612f5db9f988cd3154c1d13c9.jpeg

Thank you for this ... I love these kinds of assorted goodies boards.  Plus truffles, oh my.  Why this casual dining thing is such a mystery is beyond me.  Good news:  it's included in your package.  Bad news:  we won't tell you what, where or when.  CC to the rescue, again! 

@jsn55 actually it is quite easy to find out what casual restaurants are available on your ship. If you need to know more information perhaps just ask once onboard or on this thread. Not a mystery at all.I have found lots of information by Princess.com-or google.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Most casual dining venues are walk up only. The only ones I have seen that you can reserve on the ship are the pop ups and even then you have to wait to see which venues are open in a given evening   On the Grand right now and when they had an event to explain dining venues they specifically said that Vines and Alfredo’s were walk up only

Edited by memoak

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2024 at 7:22 PM, arizonaperson said:

a pop up restaurant ( AK voyages)in World fresh market area ( buffet)the crab shack, I think you can use one of your dining credits there. Maybe crab shack is considered specialty dining?

Just off the Vancouver roundtrip on Ruby.  Crab Shack is considered specialty dining and priced accordingly ($40 as I recall, vs. $15 for the prix fixe menu at Salty Dog Gastro Pub or Vines).

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 1