Dining Times

I just booked our first family cruise on the Odyssey for next March.  Although we are Sapphire on NCL due to their itinerary, I still love RCL especially for the sit down dinners.  Our last RCL cruise, I distinctly remember a 5:30 seating which worked well for my husband and myself. When I booked this upcoming cruise, the seating  is either  5pm and 7:30pm.  I am an early eater but not that early!  I am sure my adult children will not be too happy with the 5pm.  . I guess there is also the my time dining but I like the structure of  the seated times which coincide with shows as well as getting to know your waiter.  Any suggestions about which dining time is best?  

Take the 5pm dining time, arrive at 5:15, which is closer to what you want. Then, check after a few days and find out if 5:30 is OK for the rest of the cruise.

To make it easier on the wait staff, pre-order your dinner the night before so they have your appetizers, soups, and salads ready for you. Saves them extra trips to the kitchen at odd times.

18 minutes ago, pcur said:

Take the 5pm dining time, arrive at 5:15, which is closer to what you want. Then, check after a few days and find out if 5:30 is OK for the rest of the cruise.

To make it easier on the wait staff, pre-order your dinner the night before so they have your appetizers, soups, and salads ready for you. Saves them extra trips to the kitchen at odd times.

Please don't do this. This puts everything out of whack for the waiter and the other guests.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bedfordmom said:

I just booked our first family cruise on the Odyssey for next March.  Although we are Sapphire on NCL due to their itinerary, I still love RCL especially for the sit down dinners.  Our last RCL cruise, I distinctly remember a 5:30 seating which worked well for my husband and myself. When I booked this upcoming cruise, the seating  is either  5pm and 7:30pm.  I am an early eater but not that early!  I am sure my adult children will not be too happy with the 5pm.  . I guess there is also the my time dining but I like the structure of  the seated times which coincide with shows as well as getting to know your waiter.  Any suggestions about which dining time is best?  

I would book the 5pm seating and then see what the dining times actually are once Odyssey starts sailing from Bayonne.  It starts in November, so you will be able to read what the actually times are way before your sailing and then adjust if needed.

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Absolutely ridiculous

1 hour ago, pcur said:

You're joking, right? 

Posted (edited)

We are currently on Voyager.  The early dining time on the booking was 5.15, the sea pass card says 6pm.  They announced doors open on the first night at 5.30.  Our waiter says the latest time to arrive is 6.15.  We are aiming for 5.45 each night.  Not really sure what time we are supposed to be there but 5.45 is working well.

Edited by Nettee

On 7/11/2024 at 5:23 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Absolutely ridiculous

This is actually what worked for me on the Jewel in April 2024. On another cruise, a friend needed to eat EARLIER every night, and pre-ordered his meals for early arrivals.

We both tipped extra for the convenience.