Done with Cunard

7 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

The issue here is not what but how... again, in North America, it is common to refer to what is Afternoon Tea as High Tea.  We mean Afternoon Tea, we know what that entails in terms of what's offered, but some call it High Tea. And would be amazed at what that actually consists of in Britain. And few would want it at 3:30 p.m.

So it's like an American saying to Ford UK, "your four-door sedan is not a good car" instead of "your four-door saloon is not a good car". They know what you mean. 

It's really as simple as the name. And nothing more.

Pedantry is most helpful if one directs it at the right issue.It's what it's called not what it is.

It seems to me, as with tipping, another example of some US passengers thinking the ships are a suburb of New York. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

The issue here is not what but how... again, in North America, it is common to refer to what is Afternoon Tea as High Tea.  We mean Afternoon Tea, we know what that entails in terms of what's offered, but some call it High Tea. And would be amazed at what that actually consists of in Britain. And few would want it at 3:30 p.m.

So it's like an American saying to Ford UK, "your four-door sedan is not a good car" instead of "your four-door saloon is not a good car". They know what you mean. 

It's really as simple as the name. And nothing more.

Pedantry is most helpful if one directs it at the right issue.It's what it's called not what it is.

I'd say it's more like an American saying, "I like your suspenders." High tea is one thing to Americans and a completely different thing to Brits. Unless you know that Americans use the term differently, there will be some raised eyebrows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the point has been well made now, we are separated by our common language and references to high tea, suspenders and pants may well prove controversial. 

Let's move on please 🙏 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I shall return to the subject of the lack of choice of tea in the Queens Room.  A friend with whom we sometimes travel is very particular about tea.  He travels with his favourite loose tea and silver strainer. In the Queens Room he requests a pot of boiling water and makes his own tea.

In the Grills tea loose tea is offered - at least in my recent experiences on the QE.  If the string orchestra or harpist is playing at tea in the Queens Room we prefer to take tea there even if we are in the Grills. 

2 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

I shall return to the subject of the lack of choice of tea in the Queens Room.  A friend with whom we sometimes travel is very particular about tea.  He travels with his favourite loose tea and silver strainer. In the Queens Room he requests a pot of boiling water and makes his own tea.

In the Grills tea loose tea is offered - at least in my recent experiences on the QE.  If the string orchestra or harpist is playing at tea in the Queens Room we prefer to take tea there even if we are in the Grills. 

On my mooch around the ship, I wondered what the crowd was waiting for not realising I’d come across the Queens Room on deck two.

Afternoon tea and the tables looked full.

3 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

We certainly had loose tea (and a choice) in May in the Grills. How does he manage to get water that is actually boiling rather than just pretty hot? Despite my interest in nomenclature, I don’t actually like tea much or care too much about it, but I gather boiling water is often considered important.

• Like 2

There had to be a compromise, but the water was very hot.  As a tea-drinker I know that the water has to be boiling when in contact with the tea leaves or bag in order to get a proper brew.  I rarely order tea in a restaurant in Canada and the US because too often the water is not boiling - if it ever was. 

On Cunard we can get a decent "cuppa" almost anywhere and the addition of a kettle in all accommodations is appreciated. (I remember all the complaints on CC when Cunard started that amenity, but we found the room service tea was never good enough.)  On a Holland America ship a few years ago we would be given a cup of vaguely hot water and presented with a selection of tea bags. 

21 hours ago, Clewgarnet said:

I'd say it's more like an American saying, "I like your suspenders." Unless you know that Americans use the term differently, there will be some raised eyebrows.

Let alone an "eraser/rubber/condom" confusion........ 😉

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I think the point has been well made now, we are separated by our common language and references to high tea, suspenders and pants may well prove controversial. 

Let's move on please 🙏 

And discuss whether the cream or jam is applied to the scone first 😂

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

I was really hoping nobody was going to bring that up !

• Haha 8

Glad to see we've all moved on 😀

If we all play nicely and accept that others will use differing terminology for different things then there should be no problems.

It's hard enough here in the UK deciphering regional dialect, let alone anything else 😃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Let alone an "eraser/rubber/condom" confusion........ 😉

To add another language to the mix:

Akron, Ohio, was dubbed "Rubber City" for its association with the tire (tyre?) industry, and the shorthand adopted by local American Sign Language users was the same nickname (so they don't have to sign A-K-R-O-N every time they mention it).

Imagine the growing consternation of a visiting deaf clergyman as he was repeatedly welcomed to the city at a testimonial dinner .... until the coin dropped.

(Related to me by an attendee at the event; she swears it's true.)

(By the way, there is no longer any natural rubber in the thing used for removing pencil marks, nor in the thing used to evade paternity suits.)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I was really hoping nobody was going to bring that up !

I won’t mention the more pressing issue of pronunciation in the church coffee shop I volunteer in

sc-own

v

sc- on

It too provokes lively discussion 😄

by the way, I’m a sc- own gal

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

Surely one applies the butter first ??

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

In Perthshire (Scotland), we have Scone Palace, where Scottish kings were crowned, but it is pronounced "sk oon"

I’m a MacDuff by descent.  We did the crowning on the stone

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

Nooooo you don't use butter on jam and cream scones, sacrilege 😂

but copious amounts of unsalted butter on a hot cheese scone is heaven

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ovccruiser said:

Nooooo you don't use butter on jam and cream scones, sacrilege 😂

I smear on a layer of cream as if it was butter, then jam, then cream. Keeps Devon and Cornwall happy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

I smear on a layer of cream as if it was butter, then jam, then cream. Keeps Devon and Cornwall happy!

Lashings of salted butter, thick layer of jam (strawberry or blackcurrant), then a huge amount of clotted cream.

It's the only way 😋

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nadge said:

Lashings of salted butter, thick layer of jam (strawberry or blackcurrant), then a huge amount of clotted cream.

It's the only way 😋

Sacrilege either cream then jam or vice versa depending on preference but no butter. For me personally jam first (definitely not strawberry) then clotted cream on top.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nadge said:

It's the only way 😋

Washed down with a diet coke to take away the guilt 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2