Sandras cruise tours, Buyer beware: Months long investigation determines she owes passengers refunds

7 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Insurance fraud, how so?  I don't much care for Sandra's practices but it looks more like a non-refundable reservation (like a hotel) than fraud.  belkin simply wasted her/his time trying to find replacements under an understandable (but mistaken) notion that a refund from Sandra's would follow.

Insurance fraud because she should have provided those refunds and instead had people file with their insurance companies so she could double dip and keep the money! She does this all the time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, revengeful87 said:

Insurance fraud because she should have provided those refunds and instead had people file with their insurance companies so she could double dip and keep the money! She does this all the time. 

Sorry, still don't see it (especially if she has a no-refund policy up front... and there are certainly some questions surrounding that).  What about pre-paid hotel reservations or no-show reservations where $$ are either not refunded or a charge for one night is made against the credit card?  Is that too, an insurance fraud on the part of the hotel which is not making a claim on the insurerer.

1 hour ago, revengeful87 said:

The article written by Michelle Couch Friedman will hurt her business even more. She has lost a lot more business than she owes refunds at this point in time. She has already canceled several tours and many people have decided not to book with her as a result of her shady business practices. She chose to dig her feet in the sand. We chose to dig ours deeper and tell the truth! She’s told so many lies she can’t keep them straight anymore. This is our revenge. 

I am sure there are many who hope this puts her out of business.

2 hours ago, revengeful87 said:

File with your insurance so she gets to steal your money. That’s insurance fraud. She needs to learn what providing a refund actually means. 
snakes are snakes and she’s one of them 

Exactly, she got paid twice for the tours that I spent hours trying to find replacements for.  

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Insurance fraud, how so?  I don't much care for Sandra's practices but it looks more like a non-refundable reservation (like a hotel) than fraud.  belkin simply wasted her/his time trying to find replacements under an understandable (but mistaken) notion that a refund from Sandra's would follow.

I did exactly what Sandra said to do.  She said if I could find replacements she would refund my money. Pretty simple I found replacements she took their money and kept mine. 

19 minutes ago, belkin said:

I did exactly what Sandra said to do.  She said if I could find replacements she would refund my money. Pretty simple I found replacements she took their money and kept mine. 

Yes, yes, yes.  It appears as though Sandra engages in some very questionable practices.  If you ended up making an insurance claim then your insurer would get involved to determine whether your claim is admissible and how they would address the vendor's activity (ies).

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

At that time so the time of her selling tours for the whole season of the Pride in Europe, her rules were : everything was refundable in case you could find someone taking your spot, so in case of Belkin they did what she told everyone to do on her FB, " find someone who is taking your spot and she would refund the money " so she never paid them back, sad stories like were not shared in public, I would never have bought any tour with her.

About fraud : what she did, and still does, she has money paid for a tour or a hotel, person cancels and has to file with the insurance company and hopefully get the money refunded she will sell the tour or hotel room to someone else and collects 2 times the amount, very clever,

but she has never paid any income tax because she simply had no business in Canada ( she collected the money through a bank account in the US ) Believe me she had so many angry customers and vendors after the Greenland cruise that some of us started to investigate her business, we found out that she was not bonded she was not registered anywhere and had no insurance.

Her income for many years was huge : one example her Greenland tours 2 ports

for one of the ports the costs  was 185 usd pp she had more or less 400 people doing her tour  and she bought the tour for 60 usd pp ( I called with the Greenland vendor) 

but she never paid the vendor ( we never got there, remember ) and kept the money from everyone and said to file with the insurance company ......In my country we call that fraud.

The other tour she got refunded less 5 usdpp also for that one her advise was to collect the money from the insurance.

Edited by fvandewouwer
mistake I made
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, belkin said:

I was not on the Greenland tour but thought I would share what happened to us.  We first met Sandra on the Splendor cruise from Long Beach to Singapore back in 2019. She was doing tours, and I heard many good things. 

Very unscrupulous!

those stories all appear now, many of us had no idea she was like that, I trusted her, me and my husband we even became friends with her and her husband. People were alone that time, there is no way to fight her when you are all alone, the Greenland cruise is something else, she made a huge mistake thinking we would all take it for granted. '

She got many chances to undo what she did but she refused and at a certain point she was unreachable.

3 hours ago, revengeful87 said:

The article written by Michelle Couch Friedman will hurt her business even more. She has lost a lot more business than she owes refunds at this point in time. She has already canceled several tours and many people have decided not to book with her as a result of her shady business practices. She chose to dig her feet in the sand. We chose to dig ours deeper and tell the truth! She’s told so many lies she can’t keep them straight anymore. This is our revenge. 

I just read the article by Couch-Friedman and it had even more insight and detail about Sandra.  I hope other cruisers heed this information and don't book with Sandra.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, revengeful87 said:

I do not see any way this is insurance fraud

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Jimbo, people use terms that are not appropriately applied.  Nothing I've read suggests that Sandra committed "insurance fraud" or that any of her victims themselves committed "insurance fraud."  Sandra committed just plain "fraud"; adding the adjective "insurance" doesn't help anyone!

I hope that that this "Sandra" does not hurt others with the same or similar names.  There is a Sandra who is a well-known tour operator in the Mexican Riviera, and I hope (1) this is a different person, and (2) her business is not injured.  

I hope the fraudster gets punished, and that her victims are made whole through some form of restitution.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Insurance fraud is committed when she changes the terms of service after the fact and then tells you to file against your travel insurance. She is deceiving the insurance companies with her changed terms of service.

3 minutes ago, momeagle36 said:

Insurance fraud is committed when she changes the terms of service after the fact and then tells you to file against your travel insurance. She is deceiving the insurance companies with her changed terms of service.

That would be fraud, NOT insurance fraud.  Insurance fraud would be changing something so you could get insurance.  She reportedly changed it not pay someone.  Def not insurance fraud.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

That would be fraud, NOT insurance fraud.  Insurance fraud would be changing something so you could get insurance.  She reportedly changed it not pay someone.  Def not insurance fraud.

When she is telling people to file a claim against the travel insurance and she supplies a letter that says it was not refundable (changed terms of service) that is insurance fraud. she is deliberately deceiving the insurance companies. 

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Travel insurance fraud is committed when she intentionally has people file a claim when refunds are due by her and then not provided. She then steals our refund money by not returning it. These are false claims being paid out by insurance companies. These claims should never be filed in the first place. She owed us our money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, momeagle36 said:

When she is telling people to file a claim against the travel insurance and she supplies a letter that says it was not refundable (changed terms of service) that is insurance fraud. she is deliberately deceiving the insurance companies. 

They can deny the claim based in their investigation.  There is no way in hades she can be charged with insurance fraud.  She can tell them whatever she wants.  If she is not submitting it then she is not committing insurance fraud.  I was in the cruise, I agree 100% she is wrong and liable, just not insurance fraud.

1 hour ago, revengeful87 said:

Travel insurance fraud is committed when she intentionally has people file a claim when refunds are due by her and then not provided. She then steals our refund money by not returning it. These are false claims being paid out by insurance companies. These claims should never be filed in the first place. She owed us our money. 

See post 51.  I agree she owes you money.  Again, she can only be charged for insurance fraud if SHE submits it, not what she tells you to do.

31 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

See post 51.  I agree she owes you money.  Again, she can only be charged for insurance fraud if SHE submits it, not what she tells you to do.

If she is submitting to the insurance company's investigators that the refund was supposed to be non-refundable, is she aiding and abetting insurance fraud? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fvandewouwer said:

If Sandras Terms are refundable and she tells her clients to collect their money with the insurance company isn't that insurance fraude ?

No, she can tell them whatever she wants.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the client and their claim to an insurance company.  Might it be fraud to the customer?  Maybe, but certainly not insurance fraud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If she is submitting to the insurance company's investigators that the refund was supposed to be non-refundable, is she aiding and abetting insurance fraud? 

What she submits to an investigator might be fraud (depending on the facts and timing of what she did or did not do).  That would be between her and the customer and any legal entity, and only information to the insurance claim adjuster (for consideration in the adjudication of the claim).

14 hours ago, fvandewouwer said:

If Sandras Terms are refundable and she tells her clients to collect their money with the insurance company isn't that insurance fraude ?

Not by her, no not at all.

If SHE lies to the insurance company that she has a contract with - that would be insurance fraud.

She can tell you the moon is made of cheese and you should file an insurance claim because of it - and that is all on you. It is not insurance fraud.

22 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

She is commenting insurance fraud by telling you to file a claim and keeping refundable money. How you can’t see that i don’t understand. Insurance companies should not have been paying out on this. It causes increased premiums for the rest of us when unscrupulous people do what she is doing! 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, revengeful87 said:

She is commenting insurance fraud by telling you to file a claim and keeping refundable money. How you can’t see that i don’t understand. Insurance companies should not have been paying out on this. It causes increased premiums for the rest of us when unscrupulous people do what she is doing! 

I agree she is not doing the right thing.  For the last time, her keeping money owed to customers might be criminal, and potentially fraud.  It is NOT, in any shape, way or form Insurance fraud.  It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Insurance, despite whatever she said or says.  It is between her and her customers.  You restating incorrect things does not make it any more true. If there is no insurance claim paid, it also has absolutely nothing to do with any insurance premium I will move on. 

Edited by jimbo5544