Have your travel desires changed over the years?

My first cruise overseas was a half world cruise, which set the benchmark for all future cruising.

My return to Australia, via South Africa and India, was also unique and Excellent.

Holidays in Australia meant staying with relatives.  I was very lucky where my relatives lived, so have had a lifetime love affair with the tropics and the slower pace.

Now I find I don't want to visit a place for ten mins.  Now I want at least a week to explore live theatre, art galleries, museums, parks and gardens.

This week I'm off to Darwin for ten days in winter.  I hope the Darwin Show still has the competition where you win if the cow does its business on your number lot. Where you sit in the middle of the arena to listen to a live concert on the back of a truck, Were you watch the sun go down at Mindi Markets,  Where you eat the best Laksa, mud crabs and fresh tropical fruit.

• Like 8

Has anyone camped in the one camping spot every year?  Or stayed in the same holiday unit at the beach like our former Prime Minister?

Has anyone used their annual recreation leave to visit the same sporting eent?  I attended the Australian Tennis Open in January, in Melbourne

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My first cruise overseas was a half world cruise, which set the benchmark for all future cruising.

My return to Australia, via South Africa and India, was also unique and Excellent.

Holidays in Australia meant staying with relatives.  I was very lucky where my relatives lived, so have had a lifetime love affair with the tropics and the slower pace.

Now I find I don't want to visit a place for ten mins.  Now I want at least a week to explore live theatre, art galleries, museums, parks and gardens.

This week I'm off to Darwin for ten days in winter.  I hope the Darwin Show still has the competition where you win if the cow does its business on your number lot. Where you sit in the middle of the arena to listen to a live concert on the back of a truck, Were you watch the sun go down at Mindi Markets,  Where you eat the best Laksa, mud crabs and fresh tropical fruit.

So ideally, you could find a cruise to somewhere you wanted to visit, cruise there and stay a couple of weeks, then catch a cruise to another place and stay a week! Sounds pretty idyllic to me 🥰

• Like 6

Our company used to own holiday houses/units which we could rent at very reasonable rates (less than $90/night!) It was one of our best kept secrets. 🤣

Then the economic rationalists decided to sell them off. 🥺 

Oh well, it was good while it lasted. 🤷‍♂️

I did fall in love with Margate Beach (just North of Brisbane).

Every time we consider other holiday options I get sticker shock and book a cruise instead. 😁

We really do live a privileged life compared to previous generations and the majority on the planet today. Our past cruises and future plans are listed in my signature. 

• Like 5

Some of my travel desires have changed over the years - I have absolutely no desire to go on camping trips now.

Also no desire to go to family orientated things like theme parks which we took kids to when they and we were younger.

My desire for how much time away from home remains at max of about 3 weeks - after that I have had enough.(and run out of Annual Leave 😉)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have always travelled, since I was a child, and we have brought our kids up that way too.

However cruising was a new thing for me in my early 30's - always thought it was a way too expensive dream. A family member passed away and that sparked a desire to finally try a cruise. We went on a 7 dayer to Vanuatu on the Pacific Sun and fell in love with the whole cruise experience. Now we go yearly.

We still like to go on short camping trips too. One extreme to the other! Roughing it in tents to what I call glamping at sea! (That's  for P&O - Princess feels more hotel like 😁

I have erred from most extended international travel though. Am hesitant to go to Europe - USA and sadly I most likey will never go back to Egypt. My kids will just need to make those choices  as adults.

For now I am content with them as teens seeing Australia and South Pacific, possibly Japan is on the cards.

Perhaps when they flee the nest (or mature enough to leave them unsupervised) hubby and I may be more adventurous again.

• Like 2

Cruising overseas still appeals at this stage of life (63 & 67) but now that we have retired and have more time we take longer pre and post cruise.

Tend to fly into a city for 3-4 days then fly to cruise city and spend 2-3 days there if it isn't a city we have been to before.

Then after cruise stay in disembarkation city for a few days then go to another 3-4 days before flying home again.

We find this gives us the best of both worlds a cruise and land holiday in the same trip.

Daz 

• Like 4

When we first started cruising, the cruises were a mix of destination and opportunity ( good price, timing with minimal leave being used). Now it's destination only.

• Like 6

I have been a very frequent overseas traveller, both for work and leisure. Up to 39 countries visited now, over many years.

I used to be a great camping lover. Did the usual progression from hike tents you crawled into, then bigger ones you could stand up in, and as we aged, moved to a camper trailer, then a folding roof caravan, and finally, the "all bells and whistles" large caravan with full bathroom.  Have been all round Australia several times, and so glad I was fit and healthy to do it then.

I didn't discover cruising until I was well retired and in poorer health. I was very tentative at first, but loved my first cruise to Papua New Guinea in 2022, did  five cruises the following year, and haven't looked back since.  Longest cruise I have done was 28 days, but I prefer a bit shorter than that now.

I agree that the short time in ports is a definite drawback, though OK if I have been there previously when land based.  I like that idea of going somewhere on one cruise, staying a while on land, then getting another cruise somewhere else. But that's hard to find from an Australian base.

• Like 2

Well, our main 'go to' is cruising. However, we do go to our favourite B&B in northern NSW at least once a year and have done for around 7 years. Sorry, you can keep camping. I spent many years on the show circuit with my horses back in the day and that cured me of any desire to camp ever again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We are about new experiences, otherwise we may as well stay at home. We will randomly return to places we love, but not with any routine. I spent most of my school holidays in caravan park cabins in Sandbar (Smith Lake) or Long Jetty. I disliked the repetition. I did go somewhere during most holidays when I was a kid, as long as a train line was close - North Coast Mail to Brisbane, Spirit of Progress to Melbourne, Newcastle Flyer to Sydney.

Like the majority in our era, we didn't fly until we could pay for our own airfares. Have license, will drive. Currently very much into seeing many parts of the world while we are fit to travel and can afford the insurance. I do know some people that holiday in the same caravan park every Christmas, but not for us. When we can no longer travel overseas, there are quite a few Aussie gaps we can fill, made easier by a $2.50 train fare that will get us to the South Coast or Katoomba.

• Like 9

Having now visited 98 countries - albeit some only as a port stop on a cruise - and some many times - I now thank heavens that we were able to go to so many countries that now you would be mad to visit they are so unsafe.  I still have a bucket list but there is a hole in the bottom as $$$$ run out.  So we have to revisit local beautiful places and count our blessings till "our boat comes in"  lol

• Like 5

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I hope the Darwin Show still has the competition where you win if the cow does its business on your number lot.

What the??????

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Has anyone camped in the one camping spot every year?  Or stayed in the same holiday unit at the beach like our former Prime Minister?

Has anyone used their annual recreation leave to visit the same sporting eent?  I attended the Australian Tennis Open in January, in Melbourne

Not any more unless you count going to Bali every year for June and staying in the same areas (not necessarily in the same hotels).  We also tend to go north for the balance of winter, we have a motorhome and take full advantage of that.  Years back before I convinced Grumpy to get a passport we always holidayed in Margaret River or Bridgetown (WA).  Boring..........

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Like 3

Love to do more cruising but when you are over 80 yrs old insurance companies price you out, I guess you are too much of a risk. Got our cruise from Singapore coming up but I think that will be our last one where a long flight is involved. We have a cruise to New Zealand booked in early 2026 from Sydney and then we will see how we are health wise from there. As sad as it is but being realistic we do not want to book too far ahead. We have had a fantastic time cruising and are grateful for all the good memories. Never have had holidays to a regular place every year but when we have had the need to relax and get away from it all we found Rainbow Beach, Sunshine coast Qld was ideal.

Cheers John

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Love to do more cruising but when you are over 80 yrs old insurance companies price you out, I guess you are too much of a risk. Got our cruise from Singapore coming up but I think that will be our last one where a long flight is involved. We have a cruise to New Zealand booked in early 2026 from Sydney and then we will see how we are health wise from there. As sad as it is but being realistic we do not want to book too far ahead. We have had a fantastic time cruising and are grateful for all the good memories. Never have had holidays to a regular place every year but when we have had the need to relax and get away from it all we found Rainbow Beach, Sunshine coast Qld was ideal.

Cheers John

We know what you mean! Insurance is like an additional airfare!

our main travel is going backwards and forwards to see Franks family in South Africa.(going for Christmas this year) And next year we’re going to see my family in UK, so adding a British Isles cruise on the end of that.

there’s plenty of Australia still to see.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

our main travel is going backwards and forwards to see Franks family in South Africa.(going for Christmas this year) And next year we’re going to see my family in UK, so adding a British Isles cruise on the end of that.

there’s plenty of Australia still to see.

I share your travel desires.  One last long haul trip to the UK, then find a cruise which fits in,  Closer to home, I'd love to do another small ship cruise from Cairns to Darwin.  A dream is another cruise on one of Virgin's "ladies" in Aus/Kiwi waters for the unique experience.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 4:42 AM, MMDown Under said:

We're a bit like you. We like to stay longer now at places than just the fleeting port visit. We'll probably skip cruising for a number of years so that we can travel.. and then maybe return to cruising when we're old and worn-out and that's the only way we can get to places. Cruising was a cheap and effective vacation when travelling with kids when younger (and when viewed as simply a vacation.. perhaps as an alternative to going to the GC).. but as empty-nesters now.. our focus is on the destinations. We also got a wake-up with covid.. bought e-bikes and rediscovered that NZ is the prettiest country on the globe - and regularly like to take the bikes and go explore "the backyard" as they say. Then there's that big West Island which isn't too shabby either.. and like so many, we've only really been to a handful of cities and towns on the East Coast. Gee.. reading that back I'm not exactly an ambassador on a cruise-site am I haha. We do have one more booked in for later this year just as a break from the weather to do nothing but recharge the batteries. 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Over from NZ said:

We're a bit like you. We like to stay longer now at places than just the fleeting port visit. We'll probably skip cruising for a number of years so that we can travel.. and then maybe return to cruising when we're old and worn-out and that's the only way we can get to places. Cruising was a cheap and effective vacation when travelling with kids when younger (and when viewed as simply a vacation.. perhaps as an alternative to going to the GC).. but as empty-nesters now.. our focus is on the destinations. We also got a wake-up with covid.. bought e-bikes and rediscovered that NZ is the prettiest country on the globe - and regularly like to take the bikes and go explore "the backyard" as they say. Then there's that big West Island which isn't too shabby either.. and like so many, we've only really been to a handful of cities and towns on the East Coast. Gee.. reading that back I'm not exactly an ambassador on a cruise-site am I haha. We do have one more booked in for later this year just as a break from the weather to do nothing but recharge the batteries. 🙂 

It’s whatever makes you happy! That’s what holidays are😁

• Like 4

10 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Cheers John

As a couple both 85  we say do it all the time you have the physical ability and can find the dollars.  We have lost so many friends of our age and younger recently that it compels us to live life to the full (or fuller)

• Like 7

Just now, windsor26 said:

As a couple both 85  we say do it all the time you have the physical ability and can find the dollars.  We have lost so many friends of our age and younger recently that it compels us to live life to the full (or fuller)

Totally agree. 🥰

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

We are the same age and agree with all you say. Health has been a problem and apart from our age has also effected insurance cost. As you said in your earlier post the $$$ play a big part in future plans. We don't intend to just give up but maybe just end up on short cruises and a few land based holidays as long as we can. I expect the same as you there is no way we feel our age and not about to just sit around. Love your attitude.😊

Cheers John.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, JohnGc said:

As sad as it is but being realistic we do not want to book too far ahead.

My late father always had a terrific dry sense of humour.  For his 90th birthday we bought him a hand of green bananas.  He laughed so much I thought he was gonna have a coronary.

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Cbtours said:

I've noticed that some of the insurance companies have worked out that people are living longer, and have added a few years onto their cut-off ages for insurance. Though still not cheap, it does mean that I can compare costs between more travel insurance companies than before.

The other thing that has really gone up in price is the cost of boarding pets while travelling.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Cheers John

Many more happy travel days ahead for you I trust. Cheers

• Like 2