Are you a maximalist cruise packer?

Lots of interesting stories on this thread.

During the last 20+ years of my working career (I retired 2 years ago) I travelled a lot, domestically and OS. Those travels, plus holidays on land & on cruises, amounted to close to 100 nights per year not sleeping in my own bed.

Not once did I ever had occasion to think, I wish I had brought my pillow from home 😮

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

We make it a point to only take carry on - sometimes we check them on flights but often not. The cases are 55 cm international so a reasonable size. We also take a largish tote/backpack for the things needed on the plane and also a few pieces of clothing. We do laundry on board or if staying for a period at a hotel/apartment - either pay or use laundry facilities if available. I would much rather do that than wrangle heavy and large luggage, Small cases means I can lift them up myself on planes and trains etc. We had couple on our table on QM2  who were cruising from Hong Kong back to Southampton and they had 72kg each. Their dress did not impress so no idea why they needed so much. Another woman on on the table had 7kg of jewellery.

IMG_8599.jpg

We have different cases now but this was for 2 weeks on Silver Muse last December. Same size case each plus a Belroy tote.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 4

Just now, Aussieflyer said:

We make it a point to only take carry on - sometimes we check them on flights but often not. The cases are 55 cm international so a reasonable size. We also take a largish tote/backpack for the things needed on the plane and also a few pieces of clothing. We do laundry on board or if staying for a period at a hotel/apartment - either pay or use laundry facilities if available. I would much rather do that than wrangle heavy and large luggage, Small cases means I can lift them up myself on planes and trains etc. We had couple on our table on QM2  who were cruising from Hong Kong back to Southampton and they had 72kg each. Their dress did not impress so no idea why they needed so much. Another woman on on the table had 7kg of jewellery.

Wow

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

OzKiwiJJ gave a great tip re Sard? Block stain remover. You spread it on stain and can leave on 7 days it says. 
it’s remarkably efficient.

Thanks for the tip. I was also encouraged by @OzKiwiJJ's words on another thread that the Princess Elite laundry service does a good job - I would tend to be inclined to do my own regardless, but it's good to hear positive feedback 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Thanks for the tip. I was also encouraged by @OzKiwiJJ's words on another thread that the Princess Elite laundry service does a good job - I would tend to be inclined to do my own regardless, but it's good to hear positive feedback 😊

I’m very happy with the elite complimentary laundry, but sometimes a stain however small can be missed, hence the stain remover being great.

easy to drop a bit of food, spill something etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

IMG_8599.jpg

We have different cases now but this was for 2 weeks on Silver Muse last December. Same size case each plus a Belroy tote.

How in the world do you get 2 weeks of travel clothes, shoes etc, into a 7kg limit for carry on?

When we travel for up to two weeks I take, change of underwear & socks for each day away plus pants & shirts for half the days away, then all the necessaries like, electronics (Tablet, power boards, shavers, tooth brushes, power charging cords), medications (sprays, antibiotics, etc), Paperwork (passports, insurance, itinerary, planed activities, etc), plus flasks etc.

For cruises longer than 14 days, basically 14 of all the day wear stuff.

No I'm definitely not an over packer.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

IMG_8599.jpg

I like this type of case. It is hard to pick dimensions without scale, but I would think mine is a bit more elongated. We (or should I say baggage handlers) have busted some good cases over the years, but an el cheapo Caribee bag from Big W Has clocked up over 50 trips. The wheels are just about shot, but I have found some compatible replacements.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

How in the world do you get 2 weeks of travel clothes, shoes etc, into a 7kg limit for carry on?

International carry-on is size restricted on many of the airlines rather that weight, and the dimensions are also a bit larger than our domestic limits.

What I take depends on how I'm travelling and whether I have to carry it myself on public transport.  Being driven to port and being picked up, the sky is the limit!

Most useful items on a c4uise are two wall magnet clips to put all paperwork out of the way, plus one for pending activities .  A stretchy clo5eline to hang underwear.

Spare pen and paper

Magazines, newspapers, brochures to read.

• Like 2

I've read through all of the posts and honestly, I never thought about what other people pack on their trips. Interesting reading. I have seen couples with 4 pieces of luggage each (2 large, 2 small) plus a backpack each and they are going on a 4-day cruise. I have an opinion about it but to each their own. I'd have to say we are on the minimalist side. Certain things are a must for us, meds, certain toiletries, glasses, small electronics, etc. Anything else we can buy if we really need it. That rarely has happened. 

• Like 2

Many years ago someone gave me the following packing strategy:

1. Pack your bag a fortnight before your trip. 
2. A week later unpack the bag and only repack half of what we’re you originally going to take. 
3. Just before you head out the door, put you hand in the bag and pull out three things at random and leave them at home but throw in some extra money. 

I’ve never been game enough to employ this strategy, I am tending to pack less. And it’s much easier to pack when you don’t have to utilise every square millimetre of the suitcase!

However, I like to read on a cruise. Real paper books, not from a device. So I tend to fill the extra space in my bag with books from the op shop and donate them to the ship's "library". 

• Like 4

However, I like to read on a cruise. Real paper books, not from a device. So I tend to fill the extra space in my bag with books from the op shop and donate them to the ship's "library". 

I've recently discovered the joy of audiobooks while cruising.  Very lightweight - I only need my phone and earbuds which I'd be bringing anyway.  And there's just something very luxurious about lounging around, enjoying the sea view while someone reads you a story :).  Staying awake is the tricky part.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, mr walker said:

Not once did I ever had occasion to think, I wish I had brought my pillow from home 😮

Now before I pose this question I must preface it with the information that it is not intended to be offensive or imply lack of hygiene to / by anyone.  I'm a bit of a clean, neat and bleach freak - in fact Grumpy has frequently been heard to remark, 'it's not called OCD for nothing Dee".  

Anyway, aren't you ever concerned that common use pillows (ship/hotel/motel etc) aren't properly sanitised?  I always imagine that they're crawling with bugs, skin cells and dandruff.  Have you ever removed the pillow slip and pillow protector and looked at the actual pillow?  In Bali recently (5 star hotel), when I removed the pillow slip to put on my own pillow, I found that someone at sometime had had a blood nose on the pillow.  It was beyond disgusting.

Further to the above, I have neck issues and suffer if I don't use a contour latex/memory foam pillow.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ozwoody said:
16 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

You use Mary Poppins carpet bag.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have had numerous bags over the years, none have lasted longer than 7 or so years without being damaged in some way, wheel, handle, zipper, casing, etc.

In 2014 I bought two sets of QANTAS luggage, not cheap at the time but still serviceable and looking good after much travel and handling by baggage people.  I reckon I'll get at least another 5 or more years out of them.

1 hour ago, JJK2008 said:

I have seen couples with 4 pieces of luggage each (2 large, 2 small) plus a backpack each and they are going on a 4-day cruise.

You saw us?  Next time say g'day.

• Haha 5

I guess  I am a medium packer - on a 3 week trip I would take a large suitcase, a small carry o n case and a personal handbag

I do end up taking some clothes I dont wear - weather isnt as expected or suchlike - and  I take about 7 sets of underwear and handwash them and lightweight shirts every few days and get some washing done nor machine wash it myself, depending on the trip.

Other than a neck pillow for the flight, I have never thought about taking my own pillow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Anyway, aren't you ever concerned that common use pillows (ship/hotel/motel etc) aren't properly sanitised?

No, that doesn't bother me

Ive slept on other people's pillows in private houses, hotels, boats etc  for 6 decades - hasn't hurt me yet so not going to start worrying about it now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kristelle said:

Ive slept on other people's pillows in private houses, hotels, boats etc  for 6 decades - hasn't hurt me yet so not going to start worrying about it now

Fair enough.

14 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Now before I pose this question I must preface it with the information that it is not intended to be offensive or imply lack of hygiene to / by anyone.  I'm a bit of a clean, neat and bleach freak - in fact Grumpy has frequently been heard to remark, 'it's not called OCD for nothing Dee".  

Anyway, aren't you ever concerned that common use pillows (ship/hotel/motel etc) aren't properly sanitised?  I always imagine that they're crawling with bugs, skin cells and dandruff.  Have you ever removed the pillow slip and pillow protector and looked at the actual pillow?  In Bali recently (5 star hotel), when I removed the pillow slip to put on my own pillow, I found that someone at sometime had had a blood nose on the pillow.  It was beyond disgusting.

Further to the above, I have neck issues and suffer if I don't use a contour latex/memory foam pillow.  

I say “thanks” which should have a. Exclamation mark!!! I haven’t ever thought about anything crawling and what will I do now if I can’t think it 😣😣😣😣

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I say “thanks” which should have a. Exclamation mark!!! I haven’t ever thought about anything crawling and what will I do now if I can’t think it 😣😣😣😣

Woops, sorry.  🙁

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Woops, sorry.  🙁

lol ok Amazon will help!!! At least nothing can get in my ears mouth or more 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_6756.webp

• Haha 5