Exercise classes

Has anyone paid for the exercise classes on a Princess Cruise? I have heard they are $30 each, not sure if that is correct, but just wondered if they are worth it and are they very crowded.  If you can't keep up is it OK to just walk out early? Do they have classes each day, even on port days if you choose to stay on the ship. Do you know what times they have classes?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

it all depends on your sailing whether crowded or not.

we've found classes less crowded in the afternoon. 

the classes are basic, and you don't have to be in great shape to keep up, never seen anyone walk out. 

five classes a day, including port days

Times vary throughout the day and also order of classes. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

Not sure if each ship is different but I used the classes when I was on Emerald in June. I had premier so the classes were free. Not sure if 30.00 would have been worth it as the gym was nice and well equipped. The personal trainer (Dixon) was very good and gave tips to make it harder or easier. The classes were anywhere from 5 to 10 people.  They take place on an exercise floor in the open gym. Can you leave early? Sure but the classes were less than 45mins. They had classes starting at 730a. A few in the morning and a few in the evening. Yes, they had classes during sea days and port days. I know they had the 730a pilates everyday. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This is an example from a sea day. Taken from a recent Patter.

I would think the times vary from ship to ship and I would think that the $30 per class is somewhat accurate. I think most people that sign up and take these classes have the plus or premier package,not much information on what it costs if you don’t have the package. 
You are required to sign up for the classes, so I’m sure they put a cap on how many people can attend classes ,so probably not too crowded. As far as walking out, I don’t know why you would after you paid money to attend the fitness class, but of course you can always leave, but I wouldn’t expect your money back, but might be possible.

7 am to 7:30 AM club Pilates

9 am to 9:30 AM pure barre and 5 PM to 5:30 PM pure barre

The gym is included in your cruise fare and you could work out on the machines. Also, I saw in Explorers lounge on a sea day Zumba from 9 AM to 9:45 AM and tai chi from 8 AM to 8:45 AM and those you just show up and are free as far as I know.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

Royal Princess had Zumba in the piazza every morning. Made it a little difficult to get to my stuffed strawberry croissant or almond croissant in the morning. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I’ve done fitness classes on Princess, Celebrity, and HAL. And, they’ve all been hard. Even Pilates (which I don’t normally do!) Last time I did them on princess, it was multiple spin classes and they were a sweat fest and hard. There were about 4 of us (my experience is they cancel class if not enough sign up which is super frustrating when you arrive all psyched and nothing happens!) But, it depends on instructor and other participants. Instructors seem to be pleased if you come multiple times and want you to get a lot out of it and enjoy pushing! But, again, depending on instructor, I’ve had lame classes - did a TRX class once and instructor didn’t know me and seemed very disinterested (and TRX is a challenge with low ceilings on a ship). I’ve also done stretch classes that were super crowded in an ick way! So… the answer is… it depends! But instructors are there for you and will challenge you if you indicate interest.

I am interested in the classes as I have just had a hip replacement and need to get active for my own benefit.  I work out on the treadmill first, and hope the classes will be a good substitute for my PT. Thanks to all who answered, also maybe the classes will let me enjoy a slice of cake or two on the cruise. Just kidding.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

I am interested in the classes as I have just had a hip replacement and need to get active for my own benefit.  I work out on the treadmill first, and hope the classes will be a good substitute for my PT. Thanks to all who answered, also maybe the classes will let me enjoy a slice of cake or two on the cruise. Just kidding.....

Depending on what exercises your surgeon or orthopedic doctor has given you… Have you been cleared to do any exercises besides the ones they gave you?Will you be cleared from PT by the time you go on the cruise? I only say all this because I am retired medical. You wouldn’t want to do one of the classes and do something that you’re not meant to do.  Certain exercises/ hip movements could dislodge your “ new” joint.
Walking for recent hip replacement in my opinion is the best. Depending on how far you are out from your surgery, you should be able to your own exercises on the cruise , because you should be familiar with them by now. Like leg slides, ankle pumps, leg raises with bands,etc.

Happy cruising & exercising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I would rather follow my own workout regimen in the gym

I always do my exercise classes in the MDR trying to push away from the table.  Depending on how good your waiter is, he/she can make it *really* hard!

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

@Shaver John here is another option for exercise. This may not be your ship, but  your ship may offer this. Just saw this in one of the recent Patters.

IMG_0709.thumb.jpeg.0acd8b9e1397d2a0492deef4a02b642a.jpeg

Looks interesting. I have a set routine (+ stairs) but will see about adding that. 

There are parts of the ship that offer terrific exercise and for the vast majority of the time are not crowded at all.

They're called the stairs.

Try it - see how many stairs there are from the Medical Center down on deck 4, to the sports facilities up on deck 19.

But there is a bad time to do this workout. It's right after dinner!

• Haha 1

My wife and I set a "goal" to try two of the classes (we have the plus pkg) on sea days plus get at least two miles (6 laps) on the promenade. We are doing American Volkssport Association 5/6K map guided walks in each port. We might get in a 6K in at Vancouver under the Canadian Volkssport Federation and plan to do 10K in downtown Anchorage before the flight home.

• Thanks 1

One of the things that I like about Princess are the free morning Zumba classes on sea days. I don't know that I'd like them in the Piazza, though. On the Grands we've sailed I've seen them held at Club Fusion or Explorers Lounge. They are usually simpler to follow than the ones I do at my gym, and there is a broad range of age and ability.  Great way to start the day!

2 hours ago, KillerSnake said:

My wife and I set a "goal" to try two of the classes (we have the plus pkg) on sea days plus get at least two miles (6 laps) on the promenade. We are doing American Volkssport Association 5/6K map guided walks in each port. We might get in a 6K in at Vancouver under the Canadian Volkssport Federation and plan to do 10K in downtown Anchorage before the flight home.

Do you do MapMyRun or AllTrails in ports? I feel better if I do about 3 miles in the morning. Balances out against my croissants. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Do you do MapMyRun or AllTrails in ports? I feel better if I do about 3 miles in the morning. Balances out against my croissants. 

I use MapMyWalk. It uses cell service to work out the distance traveled. It is not great at my local indoor track - too much steel.

• Like 1

On our last Princess cruise 9/2023, my husband and I challenged each other to a stairs only cruise, and hitting the gym or track most days. The delicious drinks are my downfall, but at least I don’t feel so guilty trying several a day when I’m active. We did “cheat” and use the elevators during disembarking though, because we had luggage. I did a Pilates class in the gym - it was pretty short and easy. Also the free Zumba class was fun but too crowded.