Reusable Travel Mug

Due to P&O being responsible and sustainable, they are no longer providing one time use takeaway mugs for hot drinks at the coffee bars on board.

You can however 'buy' a reusable travel mug or bring your own on board and they are happy to fill that instead.

This is a wonderful solution to the problems of these single-use plastic mugs from old.

So my question is:

How much is it to buy one on board and is it better to bring my own instead?

There are no pictures or details on P&O website.

On Ariva at Easter take away coffees were served in blue plastic takeaway mugs which were supposed to be returned for re-use. Have they stopped doing this?

I saw many of the mugs left outside cabins and around the ship.

Sorry but I do not understand the logic in this - sounds more like a money making scheme to me.

Next thing will be that we have to bring our own knives and forks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, purplesea said:

On Ariva at Easter take away coffees were served in blue plastic takeaway mugs which were supposed to be returned for re-use. Have they stopped doing this?

I saw many of the mugs left outside cabins and around the ship.

No, you do not return them. They are reusable like all such cups.

Hopefully you can zoom in to see the prices. First drink in your cup is free - but you might need to remind the staff as they charged me for mine. Quickly refunded though.

20240707_130228.jpg

• Thanks 1

Fangedrose we had those on iona last year as well but would always return to costa when we had finished ,but now the two pictured are the only option now .looking around on amazon the p and o cups are a reasonable price with your first drink included .So now we have them will be packed for all or cruises in the future

• Like 1

Thank you all for your expert replies and the pictures were just what my DW was after. I knew you lovely lot would have the answers.

We have decided to take our own travel mugs as they have handles and are easier for us to use. 

Many thanks

• Like 1

19 hours ago, david63 said:

Sorry but I do not understand the logic in this - sounds more like a money making scheme to me.

Could be. The size of the mugs in the picture  looks as though they will not contain as much coffee which means the price has gone up!. Luckily we still got our coffee in the glass containers on our recent cruises.

Not for takeaway drinks you didn't. If you are sitting in the cafe you still get your coffee in cups as normal. These cups replace the plastic/cardboard (non recyclable) takeaway cups.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Funboy said:

Could be. The size of the mugs in the picture  looks as though they will not contain as much coffee which means the price has gone up!. Luckily we still got our coffee in the glass containers on our recent cruises.

Not for takeaway drinks you didn't. These replace the plasticated cardboard (non recyclable) takeaway cups, not drinks when sitting in the cafe.

Edited by FangedRose

Purplesea is right, Arvia were serving takeaway coffees in blue plastic reusable cups with lids. China cups were used for drinking in the cafe. There were no disposable ones used.

That was an environmentally friendly option that didn’t cost the customer any extra. Maybe too many people stole them so it wasn’t a viable solution to continue with.

• Thanks 1

We bought 2 as we didn't have any but they are bigger then you think .They take the smaller hot chocolate and keeps really hot and sealed so no accidents 

• Like 1

My cheaper, taller P&O cup was not particularly well insulated so lattes cooled down fairly quickly in that one.

They weren't very hot to start with though so maybe it's not overly surprising.

10 hours ago, SomersetS said:

My cheaper, taller P&O cup was not particularly well insulated so lattes cooled down fairly quickly in that one.

They weren't very hot to start with though so maybe it's not overly surprising.

Mine stayed overly hot longer than I was expecting! Maybe, as you say, the drink wasn't hot enough in the first place.

On 7/17/2024 at 4:02 PM, david63 said:

As has been said this is only if you are taking a drink out of the venue and want to carry an easy to carry one around with you. If you are staying there you get a cup as normal. 

This is just the same as coffee shops in the UK do, you can't expect to walk out with one of their cups. 

14 minutes ago, amajaa said:

This is just the same as coffee shops in the UK do, you can't expect to walk out with one of their cups. 

But the difference is that you are on a ship so the cup cannot go too far

• Like 1

I remember picking up two paper Costa cups blowing around the deck on the

Ventura prom deck that some folk had left near the chairs they had used .

• Like 1