Turning 21 during cruise, ok to get a drink?

The usual rule on any cruise line that I have sailed is that the age you are when you embark is the age you are for the entirety of the cruise.

Do not be surprised if you are told no. 

7 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I would imagine that you'd have to have your sail and sign card updated on the day you turn 21, but I believe it's totally doable.

at least on Royal it is possible. Not obvious what Carnival's policy is.

proof of age

Royal Caribbean reserves the right to ask for proof of age. Royal Caribbean's age policy for gambling and consumption of alcoholic beverages is as follows: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for their cruise vacation. However, if a guest celebrates their 21st birthday during the cruise, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship's records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services with his or her parent or guardian and to present a government issued form of identification to establish that the guest's 21st birthday was celebrated during the cruise.

• Like 3

It would make sense to allow him to drink after he turns 21. Why deny someone the right to spend 14 bucks a drink when it is perfectly legal 😉 .

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

It would make sense to allow him to drink after he turns 21. Why deny someone the right to spend 14 bucks a drink when it is perfectly legal 😉 .

I agree, but when he boards his S&S card will show he is not legal drinking age.  I would imagine he would have to show ID at guest services and get a new card issued on his birthday.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

maybe they are still spending their parents money?

• Haha 3

Just now, Frank12 said:

I agree, but when he boards his S&S card will show he is not legal drinking age.  I would imagine he would have to show ID at guest services and get a new card issued on his birthday.

I agree with you. A quick trip to guest services should remedy the situation. Nothing in the cruise contract that prohibits this from happening. If for some reason they won't change it someone else could buy drinks which should be okay. Cruise contract only mentions it being prohibited to buy alcohol for anyone under age 21, so after he turns 21 it isn't a violation.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

at least on Royal it is possible. Not obvious what Carnival's policy is.

proof of age

Royal Caribbean reserves the right to ask for proof of age. Royal Caribbean's age policy for gambling and consumption of alcoholic beverages is as follows: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for their cruise vacation. However, if a guest celebrates their 21st birthday during the cruise, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship's records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services with his or her parent or guardian and to present a government issued form of identification to establish that the guest's 21st birthday was celebrated during the cruise.

Why the heck would they require a parent or guardian to be present? Completely rhetorical question, it just boggles my mind.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Why the heck would they require a parent or guardian to be present? Completely rhetorical question, it just boggles my mind.

Exactly. What if the parents are teetotalers?🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Right? Like they still have some legal authority.

• Like 2

my daughter turned 21 on a Wednesday on one of cruises and the computer updated the day of her birthday so she wasnt allowed to order alcohol until the day she turned it

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Just a guess - under 21 couldn't book a cabin so need their permission just to be on the cruise?

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Just a guess - under 21 couldn't book a cabin so need their permission just to be on the cruise?

Under 21 CAN book a cabin if they're married or in the military.

2 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Under 21 CAN book a cabin if they're married or in the military.

The cruise line can WAIVE the requirement, for a few exceptions, or anytime they feel like it. They could also raise the minimum age on rare occasions. If we are splitting hairs.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The cruise line can WAIVE the requirement, for a few exceptions, or anytime they feel like it. They could also raise the minimum age on rare occasions. If we are splitting hairs.

They specifically list it as an exemption, and make no mention of requiring any waiver:

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

Legally married couples, including same gender couples

Proper documentation must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.
    Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Qualified Military Personnel

Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their traveling companions in the same stateroom) of 18 – 20 years of age.
    Copy of proof of service must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

2 minutes ago, aborgman said:

They specifically list it as an exemption, and make no mention of requiring any waiver:

They who? I was quoting from Royal Caribbean on the drinking age.

I shall quote some more

MINIMUM AGE TO SAIL UNACCOMPANIED

Royal Caribbean's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21).

Royal Caribbean's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They who? I was quoting from Royal Caribbean on the drinking age.

Huh... I wonder what forum we're posting on?

You specifically said, in a stand alone post - "under 21 couldn't book a cabin".

...but under 21 CAN book a cabin on Carnival.

That being said - the exact same exemptions applies widely -

Royal:

"This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military."

Norwegian:

" Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier prior to boarding."

Celebrity:

"This age limit will be waived for: minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military."

Cunard: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Disney: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Oceania: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Princess: An exception may be made for underage married couples, as long as they are both 18

Regent: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Viking: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Virgin:

The minimum age to book is 21 years old unless a Sailor meets one of the “under 21 adult” criteria which are:

Sailors are legally married (should be prepared to provide proof at boarding).

Sailors are active military (Sailors should be prepared to provide proof at boarding).

31 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Huh... I wonder what forum we're posting on?

You specifically said, in a stand alone post - "under 21 couldn't book a cabin".

...but under 21 CAN book a cabin on Carnival.

That being said - the exact same exemptions applies widely -

Royal:

"This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military."

Norwegian:

" Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier prior to boarding."

Celebrity:

"This age limit will be waived for: minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military."

Cunard: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Disney: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Oceania: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Princess: An exception may be made for underage married couples, as long as they are both 18

Regent: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Viking: only have to be 18 to reserve a room

Virgin:

The minimum age to book is 21 years old unless a Sailor meets one of the “under 21 adult” criteria which are:

Sailors are legally married (should be prepared to provide proof at boarding).

Sailors are active military (Sailors should be prepared to provide proof at boarding).

Royal Caribbean's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes, and their minimum age to sail from the USA is 21.

...unless you are married, or in the military - in which case it's 18 even when sailing from the USA.

So people under 21 CAN get a room on most cruise lines, if they are married or in the military.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Yes, and their minimum age to sail from the USA is 21.

...unless you are married, or in the military - in which case it's 18 even when sailing from the USA.

So people under 21 CAN get a room on most cruise lines, if they are married or in the military.

Your perspective is interesting.