Current Myki cruise to Melbourne cbd info

Posted (edited)

I am reading all different and contradictory stuff, possibly outdated, as to what options are available to get from cruise terminal to Melbourne cbd. Many of the pages of the PTV website are not working and it only mentions a one day pass for $10 on its pdf "Your Melbourne Journey starts here". It does not mention an Explorer pass which is mentioned elsewhere for $16. What is the difference? Why would you buy a $16 card when you can supposedly access a days travel on the $10 card? And which is less likely to be crowded, the 109 bus or tram? We want to get to National Art Gallery. Where exactly does the bus stop?

Edited by lorri111

I am not sure about which pass, but I suggest you buy your card from the folk in the Cruise terminal. There was a stand there.  We arrived Nov last year and needed to get to Sth Melbourne then a day later to Flemington. They were very helpful with what to buy. I just checked our CC and we spent $42 for the 2 of us (adults) for the passes. When we got to the tram stop there was a huge queue to buy tickets from the machine - we were able to walk straight on. Not sure if you know but trams are free to ride around the city centre.

• Like 1

The special bus on cruise ship days  goes from right inside the Station Pier terminal, which saves some walking to the light rail terminus. It terminates on the Yarra River at a stop along Queensbridge street, on the edge of the CBD at Southbank. Both the light rail and the bus will be full on cruise ship days.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

The special bus on cruise ship days  goes from right inside the Station Pier terminal, which saves some walking to the light rail terminus. It terminates on the Yarra River at a stop along Queensbridge street, on the edge of the CBD at Southbank. Both the light rail and the bus will be full on cruise ship days.

The buses are put on to alleviate the load on the tram from the station pier. As mentioned the buses drop you at the edge of the city, the trams going into the cbd from where the bus drops you are free, just make sure you get back to that stop to get back again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorri111 said:

I am reading all different and contradictory stuff, possibly outdated, as to what options are available to get from cruise terminal to Melbourne cbd. Many of the pages of the PTV website are not working and it only mentions a one day pass for $10 on its pdf "Your Melbourne Journey starts here". It does not mention an Explorer pass which is mentioned elsewhere for $16. What is the difference? Why would you buy a $16 card when you can supposedly access a days travel on the $10 card? And which is less likely to be crowded, the 109 bus or tram? We want to get to National Art Gallery. Where exactly does the bus stop?

The $16 Explorer pass includes the cost of the Myki card - $6 (full cost) for card and $10 for travel. If you didn't purchase the Explorer pack, to use public transport you would still have to purchase a Myki card. If you have an Australian pensioner's concession card, the cost of purchasing the Myki card is $3 for a concession and the same price for a child -Purchase a Myki Card

Fares - Myki Fares

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The $16 Explorer pass includes the cost of the Myki card - $6 (full cost) for card and $10 for travel. If you didn't purchase the Explorer pack, to use public transport you would still have to purchase a Myki card. If you have an Australian pensioner's concession card, the cost of purchasing the Myki card is $3 for a concession and the same price for a child -Purchase a Myki Card

Fares - Myki Fares

Perfect, thanks, just what I wanted to know 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi @lorri111

I provided the attached word file for people on a cruise we are on.

It maybe of help to you.

Melbourne Port.docxUnavailable

Regards

John

This board still doesn't allow attachments to be displayed to anyone except the poster. Maybe a link to the post on your roll call where the attachment can be seen.

Screenshot_20240723_064718_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3f8262f393506c71a728a7e89e721cbb.jpg

I was thinking of loading it onto our phones but we can't as they don't have NFC. I was wondering it is might be an idea to buy them online in advance to save the queues at the terminal?

5 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

I was thinking of loading it onto our phones but we can't as they don't have NFC. I was wondering it is might be an idea to buy them online in advance to save the queues at the terminal?

It sounds a good idea to purchase online. They will take up to two weeks to arrive. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

On a few  cruises we have bought a Myki card in the terminal in Melbourne. We only had to wait around 5 or so minutes in the queue.

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

On a few  cruises we have bought a Myki card in the terminal in Melbourne. We only had to wait around 5 or so minutes in the queue.

Surprising, I can imagine everyone getting off the ship wanting one.

Just now, lorri111 said:

Surprising, I can imagine everyone getting off the ship wanting one.

Most people probably don't realise they can buy a Myki card in the terminal and many wouldn't know about a Myki card. This info is one of the benefits of Cruise Critic.😁

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Most people probably don't realise they can buy a Myki card in the terminal and many wouldn't know about a Myki card. This info is one of the benefits of Cruise Critic.😁

Good point! I often wonder what proportion of cruisers are regular users of the site and do their homework before they travel! Cruise Critic is a must for those of us who like to plan their travel to the nth level!

Edited by lorri111

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

Good point! I often wonder what proportion of cruisers are regular users of the site and do their homework before they travel!

I am constantly amazed how many people don't do any research before they travel. Even on the world cruise last year I found many people who didn't research what their fare included and also important aspects of the ship and the trip. That is in addition to the ports of call.

Edited by Aus Traveller

36 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am constantly amazed how many people don't do any research before they travel. Even on the world cruise last year I found many people who didn't research what their fare included and also important aspects of the ship and the trip. That is in addition to the ports of call.

Good grief! I think half the fun of travel is planning and looking forward to it!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, arxcards said:

This board still doesn't allow attachments to be displayed to anyone except the poster. Maybe a link to the post on your roll call where the attachment can be seen.

Screenshot_20240723_064718_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3f8262f393506c71a728a7e89e721cbb.jpg

Thanks Geoff, good tip.

6 hours ago, lorri111 said:

Good grief! I think half the fun of travel is planning and looking forward to it!

Yes! I reckon I enjoy my trip three times. 
1. When planning the trip. 
2. When experiencing the trip. 
3. When remembering the trip. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Yes! I reckon I enjoy my trip three times. 
1. When planning the trip. 
2. When experiencing the trip. 
3. When remembering the trip. 

I agree wholeheartedly, we go all out researching a holiday, watching movies set in country, doing some language, reading about the history, cooking regional meals. We call it "value adding" to our holiday. And we put photo shots on our computers as afterwards as screen savers so we are reminded of it all the time! It makes the impact of even a short holiday last much longer!

• Thanks 1

Planning the trip and researching options and such is the basis for all the fun. Doing the trip and enjoying how the planning all comes together is the realisation of the hard work. Remembering is the cream on top.

• Like 6

On 7/22/2024 at 4:03 AM, MicCanberra said:

The buses are put on to alleviate the load on the tram from the station pier. As mentioned the buses drop you at the edge of the city, the trams going into the cbd from where the bus drops you are free, just make sure you get back to that stop to get back again.

These special buses - what is the fee for them and can you use exact change or must you buy a pass/ticket?  Thank you!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Keata said:

These special buses - what is the fee for them and can you use exact change or must you buy a pass/ticket?  Thank you!

You must buy a MYki card, details in posts up above, also check out post in Trip Advisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k14829668-o10-Myki_one_day_pass_from_cruise_terminal-Melbourne_Victoria.html#121310546

Edited by lorri111