Boarding Time?

loriva

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I could not find an answer in a search of the Crystal board.

In my pre-cruise materials from Crystal, it says our boarding time (in Brooklyn, NY) is between 1300-1500 hours.  But I believe the Waterside restaurant closes at 1300 hours and The Marketplace at 1330 hours.  I realize cabins might not be available until after 1500 hours, but is there not an option to board earlier to enjoy lunch?  (And maybe this is all moot and we'll receive a different time when we print out our e-tix in early September.  Just the planner in me that wants to know.)

Many thanks,

Normally boarding is at Noon.

May I ask what materials you are looking at?

In any case I would recommend having your TA or if you would like you could contact on board guest services at:  obgs@crystalcruises.com

Keith

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Normally boarding is at Noon.

May I ask what materials you are looking at?

In any case I would recommend having your TA or if you would like you could contact on board guest services at:  obgs@crystalcruises.com

Keith

That's an excellent question, Keith.  I had it in my notes but now I cannot find the source of that information.  Although I would have had to see it somewhere.

But thank you for the response.  In trying to find the source, I checked my "Before you sail" guide and, of course, you are completely correct.  (Not that I would have ever doubted that.)

Many thanks,

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You also have the Trident grill which is open all afternoon. 

Also Tastes is generally open to 1500h.

I think Marketplace is open until 1400h

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Candidly, we tend to disregard our designated boarding time and arrive at the port at 11.30. This usually gets us on board around 12 for that cobb salad . Naughty I know ( please don't flame me ) but have always found Crystal very relaxed on this issue, as they were on our very recent trip.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kool kruiser said:

Candidly, we tend to disregard our designated boarding time and arrive at the port at 11.30. This usually gets us on board around 12 for that cobb salad . Naughty I know ( please don't flame me ) but have always found Crystal very relaxed on this issue, as they were on our very recent trip.

I've never been given a boarding time by Crystal that I remember. They do give group numbers based on when you arrive. I was in Group 1 at Vancouver a few weeks ago as I was staying at the Pan Pacific there at the cruise terminal and decided I'd just as soon sit waiting at the port than sit in my room. 😁

Patty

• Like 2

The only time I had seen a time was when the restart took place during the Pandemic .  Otherwise, boarding is usually at Noon (yes once in awhile there is an exception) and people show up at various times based on a Noon embarkation and their plans that day.

I remember when we first sailed Crystal embarkation was at 3:00 PM.  This changed to noon I believe in 2004.

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

I've never been given a boarding time by Crystal that I remember. They do give group numbers based on when you arrive. I was in Group 1 at Vancouver a few weeks ago as I was staying at the Pan Pacific there at the cruise terminal and decided I'd just as soon sit waiting at the port than sit in my room. 😁

Patty

I could have started in Seattle that morning and I still wasn't going to miss boarding in time  for lunch in Waterside.  😄 

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

The only time I had seen a time was when the restart took place during the Pandemic .  Otherwise, boarding is usually at Noon (yes once in awhile there is an exception) and people show up at various times based on a Noon embarkation and their plans that day.

I remember when we first sailed Crystal embarkation was at 3:00 PM.  This changed to noon I believe in 2004.

Keith

+1 on the pandemic, because of the passenger flow for the testing (in the case of my sailing).

It was indeed 2004 they made that switch...  My 2004 cruise was too early in the year to make the change, but 2005 was my first cruise where they boarded "early".  Prior to the change, people  using Crystal's air or hotel packages got hospitality rooms and tours to keep them busy until boarding time though, so it was kind of a trade-off.

Vince

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

t was indeed 2004 they made that switch...  My 2004 cruise was too early in the year to make the change, but 2005 was my first cruise where they boarded "early".

Same for us in 2004 and 2005

nancy

• Like 1

Something could be changing (or not)...  The Before You Sail Guide for my cruise last month on Serenity just said:

At most embarkation ports, the ship is usually available for guests to board after 12:00 P.M. (after the ship has been cleared by the local port authority). Suites are available for guests after 3:00 P.M.

...And on the ticket it just said embarkation would be available from Noon-4:00pm.

Vince

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Txcotn said:

Serenity in November. 

It could be because of the port. 

You might want to have your TA check with Crystal.  It could be because of the port or even because they are doing inspection(s) that day.    Or you could write to on board guest services a few weeks before.

Keith

Vince, yes.  

On our 2002 cruise (first with Crystal) we stayed at the same pre-cruise hotel they used but had booked it on our own. They let us purchase the transfer which allowed us to go on a tour to Muir Woods and then have lunch in Sausalito.  I remember we dined at a restaurant that opened just for Crystal.  

On our 2023 cruise we were pre-booked in a hotel Crystal used; The Landmark in London and went on a tour and then to a restaurant for lunch.

Both cases we had the family with us.

In 2004 we took the crossing from Dover to New York and that was the cruise we boarded at Noon and had lunch.  That would have been the start of the Cobb Salad.  😄

Keith

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

It could be because of the port. 

You might want to have your TA check with Crystal.  It could be because of the port or even because they are doing inspection(s) that day.    Or you could write to on board guest services a few weeks before.

Keith

This is what it says on the booking confirmation. I don’t care what time just as long as we get on before she sails 🤩

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Vince, yes.  

On our 2002 cruise (first with Crystal) we stayed at the same pre-cruise hotel they used but had booked it on our own. They let us purchase the transfer which allowed us to go on a tour to Muir Woods and then have lunch in Sausalito.  I remember we dined at a restaurant that opened just for Crystal.  

On our 2023 cruise we were pre-booked in a hotel Crystal used; The Landmark in London and went on a tour and then to a restaurant for lunch.

Both cases we had the family with us.

In 2004 we took the crossing from Dover to New York and that was the cruise we boarded at Noon and had lunch.  That would have been the start of the Cobb Salad.  😄

Keith

Great memories!

On my first Crystal cruise in the early 90's, the hotel also included a tour and lunch transfer from the hotel to the ship...  We were staying in Crystal's block in Copenhagen, and the hotel-to-ship transfer included a tour of North Zealand and Kronborg Castle, with a beautiful lunch.  It was a great intro of what was to come on Harmony.

On the other end of the spectrum in 2004, we also had a transfer from the Landmark London to Dover, earlier in the year it sounds like, and we had a choice of two included tours...  With my father being a Navy veteran with a strong interest in military history, we picked the Dover Castle tour.  Only a snack was included in that one though, no lunch.  (I only remember the most important things from my travels.  LOL)  That might have been the only point where I was hungry that whole cruise.  😄 

Vince

• Haha 3

Vince, in 2004 we also had a tour of Dover Castle and like you we had no lunch but we did have lunch on the ship.  One of the things I did like about those tours is meeting fellow guests.  On each tour we met one or more guests who we ended up becoming friends with.

Keith

• Like 3

On 8/12/2024 at 3:26 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

I quite understand. However, the OP in post #1 indicates that they WERE given a time slot range, hence my reply, which was purely intended to be positively helpful.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

I quite understand. However, the OP in post #1 indicates that they WERE given a time slot range, hence my reply, which was purely intended to be positively helpful.

I'm sorry if you interpreted my response as somehow being challenging to you. That was not my intent at all. I suppose it's the fact that we are "two peoples separated by a common language"!!

Patty

• Like 3

Responding back to OP.

Yes, wait till you look at your e-tickets and see what time it shows.

And if it does show 1:00 to 3:00 pm then check with on board guest services just to be sure or jut have your TA check now or you can.

Keith 

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2024 at 5:20 PM, Keith1010 said:

Responding back to OP.

Yes, wait till you look at your e-tickets and see what time it shows.

And if it does show 1:00 to 3:00 pm then check with on board guest services just to be sure or jut have your TA check now or you can.

Keith 

or be very naughty and follow my advice....sometimes the rebellious youngster in me still surfaces😀