Opinions sought from Oceania regulars re pricing and cabin types

Never been on Oceania, but I'm eyeing a fairly long cruise on an O-class for next year.

I notice prices seem pretty high compared to what I've paid over the last several decades, but that seems to be the case across all the lines. I guess it's a function of supply and demand and I'm a fan of the free market economy. I'm alright with paying the going rate, but I just don't want to be the guy foolishly paying an outlier price.

So what I'm looking at comes in at about $450 pp per day for a balcony and $600 pp per day for a penthouse suite, with concierge verandas in the middle.

Q1: How ordinary is this pricing? 

Q2: Without asking the unanswerable "Is it worth it?", can anyone speak to the 33% premium that one would pay to go from regular veranda to suite?

I've been on SS and SB at similar prices recently (though their prices too have risen way high for the period in question), and loved the smaller size and uncrowdedness of the ships, but much of what they offer doesn't mean anything to me. As a non-drinker, I don't care how fine the wine is. Nor do I care about caviar, sushi or foie gras. I do like sitting in a relatively uncrowded lounge enjoying a tea and listening to small band. Given that background...

Q3: How do you O-fans think your O-class ships stand up against the lux lines?

After many score of cruises in inside, ocean-view and regular balcony cabins (which were all fine) as I've gotten older, slower and more entitled, I've started paying for upgrades on the mass market lines. Not caring about the ship within a ship layout and always content with the food in the MDRs. I'm mostly trying to avoid noise, crowds and lines. The extra square footage in the cabin is just a nice bonus. On the lux lines, their lowest level cabins were more than adequate. Still recognizing how tough it is to answer, for an O-newbie...

Q4: How do the veranda, concierge veranda and penthouse suite categories compare, perk-wise and for quality?

Thank you all for reading.

Regards,

Walkingsoon

• Like 1

The concierge and veranda cabins are exactly alike. The difference is in the location on the ship (higher floor or more central location). The difference there is the Concierge Lounge which offers a dedicated concierge, coffee and snacks (which you can also get by going up to Horizons) and newspapers. You also have access to a special area in the spa. You also may make more specialty restaurant reservations. In addition to those benefits, the penthouse cabins are larger and recently renovated and you have a butler.

It all depends on the amount of amenities you want. No matter which cabin category you booked, you are treated respectfully like everyone else. The ship is never crowded. Lines are never long. The passengers are mostly well traveled and friendly. You can have afternoon tea everyday accompanied with a string quartet. 

whatever category room you choose, you will have a great experience.

• Like 1

@walkingsoon

A little more info would help the O vets provide some enhanced guidance. Itinerary in question and timeframe, Marina or Riviera or Vista? Location, aka forward vs aft, motion issues, standard balcony or expanded? 
If space is nice, a PH is 50% larger than a Veranda Stateroom and on Marina and Riviera, there is a walk in closet. Now for some of us guys that may not mean anything, but for the ladies like my DW, it is ❤️. Room Service in the Concierge Veranda can be provided from the GDR and in a PH and above, your Butler will serve Room Service dinners from the Specialty Restaurants. Concierge Veranda and PH rooms do include access to the Concierge Lounge or the Executive Lounge which can provide a bit of a get away location as well as access to your own Concierge, newspapers and no fee access to the Spa Terrace for more of a getaway if you want time outdoors without the people around the main pool area. 
If you enjoy some enhanced attention, you may really enjoy your Butler and the things he will do for you. A few months or more back, a new to O guest, Sthrngary, has written many outstanding posts and really detailed the benefits of his recent experience in a Suite with his Butler. Great guy and provided a wealth of information so see if you can access his postings. 

That is a quick bit of info to start you off. Enjoy your search and your cruise. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Q2 & Q4: I created the following table last year, and I think all of the perks are the same but haven't checked in the last few weeks (maybe no more ipad?). I think the cabin size is for O-ships but the space ratios will be similar for other ships.

Cost if not included

B

A

PH

Sq. ft.

N/A

291 (240 w/o balcony)

291 (240 w/o balcony)

440 (~363? w/o balcony)

Room service

N/A

Room service menu

+GDR menu

+specialty menus

Lounge (O and A only)

N/A

Concierge lounge

Executive lounge

Spa Terrace

$25/day

Spa Terrace access

Spa Terrace access

Laundry

Varies

Laundry (3 bags = 20 garments w/ up to 3 day wait)

Laundry (3 bags = 20 garments w/ up to 3 day wait)

Butler

N/A

Butler

Embarkation

N/A

1 pm embarkation (N/A currently)

Room available ~3

Noon embarkation (N/A currently)

Room available ~2

Noon embarkation (N/A currently)

+priority baggage delivery

Room available ~1

Champagne

$$ for something better

Welcome champagne
(low end, not actually champagne if I recall)

Welcome champagne (quality?)

Specialty res at

(# varies by cruise length and ship)

N/A

45 days

60 days

75 days

Misc

iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board++

Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag

Cashmere lap blankets

Complimentary pressing of garment upon embarkation++

Complimentary shoeshine service

iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board

Cashmere lap blankets

Complimentary shoeshine service

Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation++

Walk in closet

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Q1: This pricing seems average to me. The low end is usually the Caribbean and repositioning while the high end tends to be Japan/N-Europe/etc.

Q3: While O has caviar (sometimes), sushi (dinner in TC), and foie gras (sometimes), there are a gazillion other choices. " I do like sitting in a relatively uncrowded lounge enjoying a tea and listening to small band.": Head to Horizons instead of Martinis for a less energetic Happy Hour or evening; Martinis can be too crowded/noisy for me but my spouse likes it. Sit at the Horizons bar if you want to chat with other people or sit at a table (there is waitstaff) and enjoy the view or read a book. The band plays pre-dinner and after the nightly show. There is also afternoon tea every day with the string quartet (typically). "I'm mostly trying to avoid noise, crowds and lines." Yep, O is a great place for you.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 2

Wow! Thanks for the detailed responses. 😄

Mauibabes: Riviera, 42d Hong Kong to Singapore. No motion sickness problems - I usually prefer far forward or aft (better yet true aft wake facing) to minimize crowdedness and noise. I'll seek out Sthrngary's posts.

Grmmybtty, you've just described the perfect cruise for me!

"No matter which cabin category you booked, you are treated respectfully like everyone else. The ship is never crowded. Lines are never long. The passengers are mostly well traveled and friendly. You can have afternoon tea everyday accompanied with a string quartet." 

AMHuntFerry, your table answers a lot of questions on my part. Laundry, lounge & spa may just justify the premium price bump.

From what I understand, the Laundry is free for you to do as self service. O) even provides the soap. My past cruises have only been about 10 days, but I am going for it in December/January for 50 days, so I asked the laundry question. My cruise is a "Grand Cruise" and you could take it as 3 separate cruises, and my TA says that we get the amenities 3x, for example the laundry. You get 3 bags of 20 items in each bag, but we get that 3x. Like I said, you can do your laundry as self service too. for 42 days for you and 50 for me, I'm sure I will do a few loads myself. 

We sailed on O and SS among others (12 different lines in total). To me O and SS are comparable in terms of food and service. SS ships are half size compared to Riviera, but Riviera never felt crowded. In fact, I would say that Riviera size can be an advantage in terms of public areas, dining venues etc. We found the food better on O compared to SS, service comparable, maybe slightly better on SS, but not significantly. Both lines provide excellent experience in my opinion, but SS is much more expensive. We sailed on SS for $400-450 recently, but those prices are history now, you will be lucky to find anything for $600-650. 

Standard cabins on SS are 305 sqft, Riviera 240 sqft regular veranda and 350 sqft suite (all sizes exclude balcony). While 305 sqft is a nice bonus, for me 240 is more than adequate. Suite gets a butler, how important this is? Except for the butler, there are few small perks (extra reservations in specialty restaurants etc) but to me, you are mostly paying for the extra space. Is it worth the extra 33%? On a 42 day cruise - maybe. I think in many cases the difference can be 40-50% between regular cabin and suite, so 33% is actually not bad to get 50% more space, a butler and few more small perks. 

• Like 2

@walkingsoon

We will be sailing on Riviera in late April, after your segments and some Tokyo segments that we will have some friends on as well. We are going from Tokyo Transpacific and start the Inaugural Alaska season on Riviera, only 19 days however. We have loved our PH sailings on Riviera so Happy Wife, Happy Life and we are back in a PH. Whichever Stateroom you select, you will have an awesome time.  The well traveled guests, great and caring staff and wonderful activities on board make for a great time.  Try out the Artists Loft and some classes in the Culinary Center. 

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Q3.  Cabin size. We’ve travelled Silversea  and Seabourn and their entry balcony cabins are bigger than the Riviera balcony. However I didn’t feel that the Seabourn cabin was as roomy as the Oceania balcony because it was narrower and darker. I  would guess that you would be happy with the regular balcony but for such a long trip the PH would definitely be a bonus. PH are 50% larger than the balcony cabins and personally, if I could, I would upgrade. In saying that ‘is it worth it’? Only you can decide!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, walkingsoon said:

Never been on Oceania, but I'm eyeing a fairly long cruise on an O-class for next year.

I notice prices seem pretty high compared to what I've paid over the last several decades, but that seems to be the case across all the lines. I guess it's a function of supply and demand and I'm a fan of the free market economy. I'm alright with paying the going rate, but I just don't want to be the guy foolishly paying an outlier price.

So what I'm looking at comes in at about $450 pp per day for a balcony and $600 pp per day for a penthouse suite, with concierge verandas in the middle.

Q1: How ordinary is this pricing? 

Q2: Without asking the unanswerable "Is it worth it?", can anyone speak to the 33% premium that one would pay to go from regular veranda to suite?

$600/person/day for a PH is a very good price.  I'm very surprised to see it that low. Go for it if you like the itinerary. Most of my Oceania cruises have been on R ships and I don't recall the fare ever being that low. 

The 42-day cruise that you mentioned could be a factor. Maybe longer cruises are priced lower than shorter cruises, I don't know.  Someone might be able to comment on that. Itinerary and ports are a factor too. My cruises are generally in the 10-12 day range. I'm on an 11-day New England/Canada cruise on Nautica this year.  We've booked a PH at close to $900/person/day. PH on the R ships are a little smaller than the O ships. 

When deciding to book a veranda stateroom vs. PH, it's all personal choice depending on what you value.  We book PH because we like the extra space.  Veranda staterooms are too small for us but, again, it all depends on what you value. 

Enjoy your cruise if you do decide to book it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, walkingsoon said:

... Riviera, 42d Hong Kong to Singapore. No motion sickness problems - I usually prefer far forward or aft (better yet true aft wake facing) to minimize crowdedness and noise...

We've sailed Riviera 30 nights since 12/2021. 10 nights each in B3, A4, and A3 cabins. The first 10 nights in an A4 pre-refurbishment, W Carib. The other 20 nights were B2B, A3 then to B3, in Med 10-11/2023, post-refurbishment.

A BIG plus for Riviera is that unlike Marina she has the big T-shaped therapy pool in the forward spa area. "Free" for A and higher cabins. Loved to sit in it after a hard day's excursions at around 5:30 pm. While wife got ready for dinner. Met a lot of interesting people there!

The B & A cabins are identical in size and layout. The A gets you the various amenities. Being able to make specialty reservations BEFORE the G-B can mean you might get the type table and time/day you want. I did enjoy the Concierge Lounge to read various daily printed out newspapers (from Canada, UK, and USA).

The laundry rooms on passenger decks work wonders for long cruise. We did those 20 nights B2B starting from 3 nights in Venice and ending with 3 nights in Barcelona. Think we did laundry 4 times. Day 2 and day 19. then 2 in the middle, like Days 8 & 14. I'd get to the one on our deck about 0650 and get right in, but I'm always up early. 

We've sailed both SS and O besides a few others.  We'll be on the Riviera again, we like the size of the size of the ship.  It's a bit bigger, but never same to be over crowded.  As for the cabin or suite, people say why purchase a suite, your never in it that much--I disagree, we use are suite a lot for just when you just want to be alone, like a quiet lunch or dinner.  Take in a movie or simply be on your deck.  We like the extra room, larger bath and the extra perks.  My theory is go for the largest suite that fits into your budget and enjoy the time away from home.  Just my opinion, it's not for everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

... My theory is go for the largest suite that fits into your budget and enjoy the time away from home....

Our theory is go for the airfare and cabin in our budget that lets us do the most before, during and after the cruise. We cruise to really see and do fun things in fantastic places.

So, we'd rather save a lot on our cabin to spend 3 nights each before and after the cruise in some wonderful city (e.g., Venice & Barcelona last year) and do some amazing private excursions (to Ephesus & Rome). We've got 3 nights in London and 3 nights in Copenhagen for our upcoming Sirena cruise in the Baltic.

And that budget has to include any expenditures on board, too, like drinks. (We bring our own alcohol on board.)

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Our theory is go for the airfare and cabin in our budget that lets us do the most before, during and after the cruise. We cruise to really see and do fun things in fantastic places.

So, we'd rather save a lot on our cabin to spend 3 nights each before and after the cruise in some wonderful city (e.g., Venice & Barcelona last year) and do some amazing private excursions (to Ephesus & Rome). We've got 3 nights in London and 3 nights in Copenhagen for our upcoming Sirena cruise in the Baltic.

And that budget has to include any expenditures on board, too, like drinks. (We bring our own alcohol on board.)

You do understand there are many Oceania customers that can do all that and stay in an upper suite and not give the cost a second thought? Not me of course, but there are plenty of them. I say more power to them. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ORV said:

You do understand there are many Oceania customers that can do all that and stay in an upper suite and not give the cost a second thought?...

You do realize now you're discussing those who neither have nor care about " a budget"? Ronrick1943 mentions BUDGET. And I respond by mentioning BUDGET.

So for the REST of us who do have to BUDGET.... Would this be 75% of the cruisers? 90%? I'm not filthy rich and we don't live like plutocrats. I live within my means and my budget.

30 minutes ago, ORV said:

You do understand there are many...customers ... not give the cost a second thought?.... 

Not sure that's O, based on what people even in suites have told me or complained about having to spend.

BUT I do chuckle that NCL sends me the Regent Seven Seas booklets and brochures, too. With the name of my usual O contact on the cover. They go...right into the recycling.

18 hours ago, walkingsoon said:

Riviera, 42d Hong Kong to Singapore.

That itinerary is also sold as two separate segments.

Both of which are currently on sale.

How does that option compare price wise ?

Also, that way, you could try out two different cabin categories if you weren't too fussed about changing cabins in Tokyo.

Since the are both on Sale now, you can at least add up the Rates to determine if you are getting the Best Value. Normally the 42 Day Grand Voyage or whatever it is called should be the BEST total price but two Segments on sale could prove to be the better option. We have had that happen in the past but only once.  As two segments, you would probably earn 2 Cruise Credits and as a 42 day trip, you will earn 3 Cruise Credits since you have a Single Booking number. Run the numbers 🤞👍💰 and have your TA, if one, make it happen. 

Swapping rooms is not a big deal with the O on board staff, you pack and they do all the luggage moving and roll hanging garments from room to room for you. A bit of a nuisance, yes, but if you want to “Test Drive” a couple of rooms, it is an option if Two Segments/Bookings gets you the Best Bang for the Buck. 
Most importantly, just create the best cruise for you and disregard our Board chatter.  Remember the O line, Your World, Your Way 😇🛳️👍

Mauibabes

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

That itinerary is also sold as two separate segments.

Both of which are currently on sale.

How does that option compare price wise ?

Also, that way, you could try out two different cabin categories if you weren't too fussed about changing cabins in Tokyo.

Seems like a great idea. In looking at them, looks like a PH2 would be about $2800 less and a B1 about $2000 less if booked as two. If my math is right. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"disregard our Board chatter" Hey - I'm loving the chatter and deeply appreciate everyone's kind input.

My biggest takeaways so far are that (1) the prices quoted seem to be reasonable and (2) the product is high quality and will be a good fit for my wife and I. Thanks! This cruise has moved right to the top of my list.

Regarding the 2-segment vs 1-segment idea, I do indeed see that right now the 2-segment option appears to save significant money. When I pull the trigger, I'll have my TA check all options. Also, I'm happy to move cabins, having done so several times. At it's hardest it's certainly better than disembarking. It does, however, kind of have to be from same to same or same to better. Better category to a lesser one is a bit depressing 🙂

Frugality in travel is a tough topic. We're all, when you consider how low the worldwide median net worth is, quite fortunate. After a lifetime of extreme saving, it's hard to switch from filling the tank to deciding how quickly you can siphon it off. Once you get to RMD age though it starts to get a little more clear. I have to pay attention to the bottom line and I do budget, but once a cruise is  booked I'll move forward with no regrets. That's why the question "is it worth it?" is impossible for others to answer. That's also why I find it helpful to think in terms of relative pricing rather than a single number.

MEFIowa - Yes! The anchor ports have become a really important part of picking an itinerary for us. I love spending several days before and after doing a bit of land based exploring.

Thanks all!

Walkingsoon

Edited by walkingsoon
  • Like 4