Wish list

I am hoping folks from NCL read these blogs. I wish that NCL had a world cruise round trip from Florida. DH and I are entertaining the thought of a world cruise. All I find (at a price I might be willing to pay) are Princess and Holland. While I don't have a problem with either I would prefer NCL. 

I looked at Oceania and Regent Seven Seas. Way out of my budget. (Princess and Holland are scary enough)

Is there anyone else who would like NCL to do a world cruise?

45 minutes ago, debnjoe1438 said:

I am hoping folks from NCL read these blogs. I wish that NCL had a world cruise round trip from Florida. DH and I are entertaining the thought of a world cruise. All I find (at a price I might be willing to pay) are Princess and Holland. While I don't have a problem with either I would prefer NCL. 

I looked at Oceania and Regent Seven Seas. Way out of my budget. (Princess and Holland are scary enough)

On one ship, the CruiseNext manager said he was working with a few people to make something like that happen but it probably would involve changing ships along the way.

@debnjoe1438

Every time you are on an NCL cruise put, IN WRITING, your suggestion to the Future Cruise staff.   

I do it for a Round Australia cruise every time I cruise.  I had a half-win next year as NCL is travelling from Singapore to the east Coast of Australia via the west and south coasts rather than the north coast.   First time to many ports.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

On one ship, the CruiseNext manager said he was working with a few people to make something like that happen but it probably would involve changing ships along the way.

I'll have to ask on my next cruise.

@debnjoe1438

I half like your idea!!

Every time we want to do a "decent" cruise (B2B2B or B2B2B2B) we have to travel to and from a distant port, commonly in the Northern Hemisphere, and we do a least one a year.

How about making the cruise start and finish in New Zealand or possibly Australia.

16 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@debnjoe1438

I half like your idea!!

Every time we want to do a "decent" cruise (B2B2B or B2B2B2B) we have to travel to and from a distant port, commonly in the Northern Hemisphere, and we do a least one a year.

How about making the cruise start and finish in New Zealand or possibly Australia.

I would not count on Australia or New Zealand any time for any cruise.  Both have announced huge increases for passenger fees.

24 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@debnjoe1438

I half like your idea!!

Long flight. DH is to the point where he would rather not take long flights. Doesn't even want to fly across the Atlantic anymore. 

Now I am really going to stir the pot!!

To get me on a "Round the World Cruise" it would have to take me to the less travelled parts of the globe.

Leave out all of North America, the Caribbean, all of Northern Europe and the Mediterranean. (Been there, done that; much of it more than once!!)

What does that leave?

Australia/NZ; Micronesia & Polynesia, West and East South America, Antarctica, West & East Africa, Arabian Sea, India & Malaysia. South East Asia (Singapore-Japan and many ports between), Taiwan, Philippines and Indonesia to finish up in Australia/NZ. 

That is "Round the World" with so many NEW & DIFFERENT places.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Now I am really going to stir the pot!!

To get me on a "Round the World Cruise" it would have to take me to the less travelled parts of the globe.

Leave out all of North America, the Caribbean, all of Northern Europe and the Mediterranean. (Been there, done that; much of it more than once!!)

What does that leave?

Australia/NZ; Micronesia & Polynesia, West and East South America, Antarctica, West & East Africa, Arabian Sea, India & Malaysia. South East Asia (Singapore-Japan and many ports between), Taiwan, Philippines and Indonesia to finish up in Australia/NZ. 

That is "Round the World" with so many NEW & DIFFERENT places.

Here's a 111 night cruise on the other line. R/T Hamburg. 3000 passenger ship Launched in 2023. 

Inside rooms start at $19K per person

Ocean View start at $25K pp

Balconies start at $29K pp

Club Balconies start at $39K pp

Suites start at $58K pp

Full Suites start at $106K pp

Includes overnight port calls in New York, San Francisco, Honolulu, Auckland, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Cape Town. 

image.png.5b9128b428199e82dd1355bbcb33b976.png

image.png.e24c4f0f7a0a450b6ca7aa4123b3dc25.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, debnjoe1438 said:

NCL had a 270 day cruise back in 2016/2017 on the Star which they advertised as an around the world cruise.  Actually it was a halfway there and back again cruise from Copenhagen to Athens via Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Sidney.  They sold it as a series of repositioning cruises.  We were there for three legs and had dinner one night in Le Bistro with the Captain, GM, and a couple who had booked the whole 270 days.  The ship had some logistical problems stemming from having to restock provisions at many different ports instead of always coming back to one home port between cruises.  They ran out of certain foods and other supplies on a couple of legs of the journey. 

The biggest problem, though, was when the starboard Azipod shut down on 11 December 2016 as the ship departed Singapore.  It limped along toward Hong Kong at half speed for a month, missing several ports and arriving late at many others.  It finally was repaired after an extended and unplanned layover in Singapore in January.  It continued its journey toward Australia, only to have the port Azipod fail on 24 January 2017.  At that point, NCL seemed resigned to the fact that the original schedule for at least the next several weeks would be out the window, as more planned ports of call were removed from the schedule.  On 10 February, the repaired starboard Azipod failed again, leaving the ship adrift in the Tasman sea.  Finally towed back to Melbourne for repairs, it got back underway on 14 February with both screws turning. 

I think NCL may have learned a costly lesson the hard way.  When you sail out and back from the same port several weeks in a row, if something catastrophic happens you can put into port, cancel one or two cruises, and get the problem fixed.  When you schedule a series of repositioning cruises, though, you can't do that.  Each cruise needs to end in a different port so a new group of passengers can board there.  You just never catch a break  or have a breather.  I doubt that NCL would be willing to risk that again.

• Like 3

For those who are interested in a much longer set of cruises on one ship we did Incheon to Vancouver this year; 39 days on the Jewel; excellent.

Next year we have booked from Tokyo (early Nov 2025) to Auckland (early Jan 2026); 63 days on the Spirit B2B2B2B.   Intermediates are Taipei; Singapore and Sydney with stops in South Korea; Vietnam; Cambodia, Bangkok, Indonesia and the west and south coasts of Australia.

19 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

NCL had a 270 day cruise back in 2016/2017 on the Star which they advertised as an around the world cruise.  Actually it was a halfway there and back again cruise from Copenhagen to Athens via Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Sidney.  They sold it as a series of repositioning cruises.  We were there for three legs and had dinner one night in Le Bistro with the Captain, GM, and a couple who had booked the whole 270 days.  The ship had some logistical problems stemming from having to restock provisions at many different ports instead of always coming back to one home port between cruises.  They ran out of certain foods and other supplies on a couple of legs of the journey. 

The biggest problem, though, was when the starboard Azipod shut down on 11 December 2016 as the ship departed Singapore.  It limped along toward Hong Kong at half speed for a month, missing several ports and arriving late at many others.  It finally was repaired after an extended and unplanned layover in Singapore in January.  It continued its journey toward Australia, only to have the port Azipod fail on 24 January 2017.  At that point, NCL seemed resigned to the fact that the original schedule for at least the next several weeks would be out the window, as more planned ports of call were removed from the schedule.  On 10 February, the repaired starboard Azipod failed again, leaving the ship adrift in the Tasman sea.  Finally towed back to Melbourne for repairs, it got back underway on 14 February with both screws turning. 

I think NCL may have learned a costly lesson the hard way.  When you sail out and back from the same port several weeks in a row, if something catastrophic happens you can put into port, cancel one or two cruises, and get the problem fixed.  When you schedule a series of repositioning cruises, though, you can't do that.  Each cruise needs to end in a different port so a new group of passengers can board there.  You just never catch a break  or have a breather.  I doubt that NCL would be willing to risk that again.

Thanks for sharing.

I would really like to see more overnights/2 days in ports.  That would really entice me to book.  It's much easier to put together B2B2B's and longer if you consider all cruise lines but then, of course you have to be willing to switch ships and spend the occasional day or two in hotels.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I would really like to see more overnights/2 days in ports.

Did an awesome cruise early 19 from Sydney to Singapore that had three overnights in Cairns, Darwin and Bali. Loved the overnights! Some of my favorite port stops!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Here's a 111 night cruise on the other line. R/T Hamburg. 3000 passenger ship Launched in 2023. 

Suites start at $58K pp

Includes overnight port calls in New York, San Francisco, Honolulu, Auckland, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Cape Town. 

I doubt that they will be using the Red Sea - Suez Canal anytime in the near future.

On 7/23/2024 at 10:39 AM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@debnjoe1438

I half like your idea!!

I’d be keen for that. Have very limited cruises in our winter and would love a RTW option from here. Part of being an Aussie is to fly far to get any where but would be good to have more options. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 11:35 PM, BirdTravels said:

Suites start at $58K pp

That's one I'd love to do!