World Fresh Marketplace vs. "Regular Buffet"

crawford

1 hour ago, cheezenip said:

If you remove the fact that crew now serves passengers at the buffet, the Sun Princess's Eatery (aka buffet) is actually a DOWNGRADE from the Royal Class ships in the Princess fleet because of cost-cutting measures. Why?? With the exception of the meat carvings and desserts, the lunch and dinner options DO NOT change for the entire cruise. In other words, what you see on day 1 at lunch remain the SAME the entire cruise. DItto for dinner also.

I guess we have made a good decision to stay away from the newer shops. However I only grab a bite or 2 at lunchtime 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not a fan of buffets but they are a cruise ship staple.  I rarely go to the buffet anymore, not something I need to do.

I'm on the Emerald in Oct., if they've cut back on IC offerings I might try the buffet.  Normally IC for breakfast and lunch is enough, don't require much.

Edited by susancruzs
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Thrak said:

GAH! Double GAH!! Triple GAH!!!

I have to wonder what clown came up with that idea. (Of course I blame J. P.  Any issue with Princess or on a Princess ship up to and including clogged toilets I blame J. P.)

Not going to mince words...it is DEFINITELY JP and his minions!! Think about it..I was excited when Rudi Sodamin from HAL came over to become first head of culinary arts of Princess in 2022. Right before COVID started, I was SHOCKED how good the food in the MDR and buffet was on HAL's Statendam and he was in charge of HAL's food department back then. Friends who travel on Oceania were also commenting how good HAL's food was and conceded HAL was quite competitive in quality to the more upscale line (can't comment after COVID though). You have to ask yourself if someone can do such a great job at HAL but resort to these petty cost-cutting measures on Princess, who is responsible?? I highly doubt it's Rudi Sodamin.

Edited by cheezenip

14 hours ago, Kay S said:

This.  Princess buffets no matter the size are always a zoo.  Rude people cutting in, no tables, slow drink service and mediocre food.

I can see you are really in love with it then ? I always think they should have a one way system in these buffet areas and whilst it may be desirable to use the utensils provide to help yourself how can you be sure of the hygiene of the previous handlers of said utensils. I do find it strange that many passengers on a cruise who are supposed to be winding down seem to be more wound up and treat the need to eat like some cannibal that hasn't eaten in months and should they not get their food on time, on a plate and at a table by a certain time. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

When we sailed on Caribbean Princess we found that, if you go through the buffet all the way to the back where Planks and Steamers are located, there is a better breakfast selection. As you pass through the first "regular" part of the buffet there are the standard pre-cooked eggs - fried and scrambled. If we continued on past the main buffet all the way aft there were made-to order omelets and cooked-to-order fried eggs. At that time there were a bunch of omelet ingredients in containers. There was ham, cheese, green onions, jalapenos, etc. You took a small paper cup and put whatever ingredients you wanted in the cup and gave it to the guy to use in your omelet.  I don't like "over easy" fried eggs as the white is often still a bit nasty but I do like a runny yolk. I could order "over medium" fried eggs and they were perfect for me. At lunch time the Planks/Steamers area (that same area all the way aft in the buffet) had burrito ingredients and ramen ingredients and you fixed your burrito or ramen how you liked it.

Most folks just hit the buffet and went through the main area and took what was offered and got a table. We went to the far aft portion each time and had a much better breakfast and, as a bonus, there was often available seating back there. It was also close to outside access so, if the weather was good, one could take their food out there and eat.

I agree with you, as this is what we did.  Most people don’t want to walk far, so it’s a lot less crowded in the back.

BTW, the food up front is, what the crew calls express breakfast items on many ships.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

When we sailed on Caribbean Princess we found that, if you go through the buffet all the way to the back where Planks and Steamers are located, there is a better breakfast selection. As you pass through the first "regular" part of the buffet there are the standard pre-cooked eggs - fried and scrambled. If we continued on past the main buffet all the way aft there were made-to order omelets and cooked-to-order fried eggs.

On the Crown Princess last summer - the back buffet was closed the entire cruise.

17 hours ago, memoak said:

In my opinion a buffet is a buffet. Some are larger some are smaller but all are to be avoided when you can

We always go to the buffet, as one can choose what and the quantity one wants to eat.  We don't go to the seat down dinners, as we just do not like waiting for our food to be prepared, but of course it is fresher, but just like the idea of getting our food, eating, and leaving without being at the dinner table for an extended time. More casual dress as well and do not have to go back to our cabin to change.   We never have a problem finding foods that we enjoy at the buffet.   As a poster pointed out, the sooner you get there after opening, the better chances you will beat the crowd and get a good table.  just our opinion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, jimlouisesophie said:

We always go to the buffet, as one can choose what and the quantity one wants to eat.  We don't go to the seat down dinners, as we just do not like waiting for our food to be prepared, but of course it is fresher, but just like the idea of getting our food, eating, and leaving without being at the dinner table for an extended time. More casual dress as well and do not have to go back to our cabin to change.   We never have a problem finding foods that we enjoy at the buffet.   As a poster pointed out, the sooner you get there after opening, the better chances you will beat the crowd and get a good table.  just our opinion

I don’t know how much more casual you can get than Princess MDR. I never wear a tie or jacket. Usually pull on cargo pants and short sleeve shirts. Also never eat before 7:30. Don’t care for food that has been picked over by people who never wash their hands before entering and sample as the walk through. I pay for food prepared for me , at the proper temperature and has not bee sitting out. 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rockraiders said:

I think all cruise lines should do away with the buffet. 

Why? We aren't buffet fans but that doesn't mean buffets should be eliminated. 🙄

• Like 3

16 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Not a fan of buffets but they are a cruise ship staple.  I rarely go to the buffet anymore, not something I need to do.

I'm on the Emerald in Oct., if they've cut back on IC offerings I might try the buffet.  Normally IC for breakfast and lunch is enough, don't require much.

We are also fans of breakfast at IC but do go to the buffet as well. It's easy to get your food and then go wash your hands thoroughly again. Yes, it's a bit of a pain and one of us stays at the table with our food while the other re-washes but, if you have ever had Noro, you won't mind the extra hassle at all. Many times either a breakfast sandwich or an Almond Croissant and a Vanilla Latte is plenty for breakfast and we often skip lunch.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, rockraiders said:

I think all cruise lines should do away with the buffet. 

That will never happen.  There are plenty of buffet fans on any cruise ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1