The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 25th, 2024

I couldn't shoot a 93 for 9 holes.  I am really sad about Jasper.  I believe it is by far the most authentic destination over Jasper and Lake Louise.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Hello everyone, thanks for all the information Rich and dailities. We have had rain for almost seven days straight.  I thought I knew what rain was, growing up on Puget Sound and raising my kids in Oregon, but nothing can compare to the sudden lightning, thunder and downpours. In Seattle it sprinkles like a shower but down here it is like a full force garden hose is spraying you straight in the face.  Then the sun comes out while it is still raining hard.  I can only imagine what the rainbow must have been like but since I was at the end of the rainbow, I never saw it. The river looks like someone poured too much cream in their coffee. And the heat is steaming up the outside of the doors and windows. It is wildly beautiful. 

• Like 20

Referring back to yesterday's topic of pillows, my friends talked me into a weird pillow from Amazon and I love it. Look for VOOVC. It's sort of a flower shape and supports your neck when you sleep on your back but is also very comfortable if you sleep on your side.  The radio gave a weather update today-we will get rain on Monday and Tuesday and it should total 1/3".  Not sure it was worth the time to report it.  At least it's been cooler.  @StLouisCruisersLove the twins' photos and their names.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Referring back to yesterday's topic of pillows, my friends talked me into a weird pillow from Amazon and I love it. Look for VOOVC. It's sort of a flower shape and supports your neck when you sleep on your back but is also very comfortable if you sleep on your side.  The radio gave a weather update today-we will get rain on Monday and Tuesday and it should total 1/3".  Not sure it was worth the time to report it.  At least it's been cooler.  @StLouisCruisersLove the twins' photos and their names.

Is this it?

Screenshot_20240725_191633_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@0106 thanks for the information on the Chincoteague pony swim and auction. For some reason my Facebook feed posted a video of one of the ponies that are "retained".  A beautiful filly was auctioned but will be returned to the island with her mother and herd.  She brought $51K.  I think all of the proceeds go to the herd and the local fire department.  

• Like 7

@rafinmd Jasper is much more unspoiled,  we had been planning a trip this year. So very sad.   So many losing their homes, not to mention the  poor animals.   But they will recover.  We spent some time in Waterton where there was a devastating fire a few years ago and while it is forever changed, it is still a place of extreme beauty.  Smaller than Jasper, more of a village.  both of these are UNESCO world heritage sites. 

On  subject of pillows the Japanese ones filled with buckwheat are amazing for anyone with neck issues.    They are sold online at the hotdog store and at the big online sales place.   Both DH and I have them and I no longer get headaches or a crick in my neck.  

Sobakawa pillows are filled with buckwheat hulls and are known for their ability to provide excellent neck support. These pillows conform to the shape of the head and neck, providing a comfortable sleeping experience. Sobakawa pillows are also hypoallergenic and allow air to circulate, keeping the pillow cool and dry.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We support the Tunnel to Towers Foundation and we're so proud of the work they are doing to give those families a new chance.

I had never heard of this organization so I looked it up.  Seems like a very worthy charity which does important work.

43 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

one of the ponies that are "retained".  A beautiful filly was auctioned but will be returned to the island with her mother and herd.  She brought $51K. 

These ponies are know as buybacks, meaning they will return  to their lives among the wild ponies of Chincoteague.  Buyers are photographed with their pony and name them. They will receive official registration papers, although any offspring will belong to the fire company.

Foal #11, reportedly a descendent of the famous Misty of Chincoteague, was a buy back. She sold for $50,000+ during Thursday’s auction, the highest price ever paid for a pony. This money will go to the fire department and the care of the ponies. Here she isIMG_0733.thumb.jpeg.f6ab9b0d32383bbe11e835f7f47b1a51.jpeg

BTW, the underlined portion of my original post is a link which shows the ponies 8+ minute swim across the channel if you are interested.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Maureen:  I have been taking eye drops for awhile due to high eye pressure.  My understanding is that normal pressure is between 10 and 20.  I would let my doctor know if it was as low as 5 as that is not a normal number.

Ray

Yes Ray, I understand. DH has what is called hypoglaucoma or low pressure glaucoma. Means nerve damage occurs at pressures lower than normal, as we’ve seen over the years.  Also the reading that tonometers give have to be adjusted for cornea thickness- DH has thinner than average corneas whereas my readings are adjusted the other direction for thicker than average corneas.  His target pressure reading is under 10. His surgeon says that should keep the pressure from further damaging the optic nerve. They track the damage by visual field tests.
In 2023 after the drains were implanted his vision deteriorated so the surgeon lowered the target pressure and recommended the Trabeculectomies which were performed at John’s-Hopkins in January for right and April for left. The right went very well. The left scarred nearly closed the first week, they laser cut the sutures and with thumb pressure popped the incision scars open and we continued working chemically -steroids- and physically - pressure massages multiple times a day- trying to keep the incision open enough to flow. Seems we’re making progress!  Globe collapse is a possible complication which would require immediate suturing of the flap so I’m hesitant to be on a cruise ship again until both eyes are stable. 🤞 m—

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5