Would you still attend a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle event without refreshments?

M&M on NCL -No Hot Refreshments  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still plan or attend a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle with no complimentary refreshments?

• Yes, I would still attend
    • No, it would put me off.
    • Maybe / undecided.

My last Meet & Greet was on the Star in March. It was well attended and it had coffee, juice and pastries. I don’t mind if they get rid of the pastries but please provide coffee because most  of the M&G are in the morning and I need it early😉.

• Like 2

While I normally take a drink with me, I am amazed NCL will take penny pinching to these levels, it's only coffee, cookies and mixed juice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

While I normally take a drink with me, I am amazed NCL will take penny pinching to these levels, it's only coffee, cookies and mixed juice.

Right, they’re paying for these with their own funds, not your cruise fare. If attendance is down, why put out a lavish spread? 

5 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

This is just a guess, but my guess it has more to do with food waste than money. Their food waste goals are stricter than they have been. And I guess they are also fed up with making the effort and then have an attendance of maybe less than 25% of expected.

• Like 2

Just curious, sailed on the Joy last month.  They had drinks, pastries, etc at our M&G.  Is there some sort of edict someone saw that NCL won't provide that?

Anytime NCL (or any cruise line, for that matter) has the opportunity to get in front of avid cruisers (like CC-ers), it would behoove them to take that opportunity.  It's a chance to rub elbows with those who are active enough in the cruise community to likely cruise again. They want that business.

As far as attendance, like anything else, if the host of the M&G just posts a date and time, and does nothing else, their efforts will be reflected in the attendance.  I've arranged M&Gs over the years.  Unless you keep engaged and keep reminding people of the M&G's date, time, place, it won't be well attended, regardless of cookies, snacks, drinks being present.

No, you don't get anything for arranging them (at least nothing of much value to me).  But, if you like cruising and you like interfacing with likeminded people, it's a great way to get face-to-face with them.  That should be the driving force.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

No, you don't get anything for arranging them (at least nothing of much value to me).

Slight disagreement with you on this. You *do* get something for arranging them. (OK, maybe it's not of value to you) When I arranged the Meet and Mingle on our NCL Breakaway cruise, we got tasty treats in our room every day, we were on a first name basis with the F&B director, we got invited to a special event in the Haven (and we weren't staying there), in short: we were treated very specially. I later found out it's because I'd arranged the M&M.

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Slight disagreement with you on this. You *do* get something for arranging them. (OK, maybe it's not of value to you) When I arranged the Meet and Mingle on our NCL Breakaway cruise, we got tasty treats in our room every day, we were on a first name basis with the F&B director, we got invited to a special event in the Haven (and we weren't staying there), in short: we were treated very specially. I later found out it's because I'd arranged the M&M.

In January on the Epic I arranged the M & G, I had door prizes, NCL Officers showed up, and we had refreshments.  I received nothing for arranging the M & G. So it might depend on the ship.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

You're right.  I did get some chocolate covered strawberries.  But, those are not my cup of tea.  So, it meant nothing.

I read some threads a while ago that there was a "fight" that broke out on these boards because two people arranged a M&G.  Not sure how it turned out.  But, I found it strange why anyone would get upset because someone else arranged a M&G.  That's when I realized it was for the treats they send to the cabin, which to me anyway, is NOT a reason to arrange a M&G.

Usually, I introduce myself to the F&B and the GM at one of the other events like Latitudes or the M&G.  I'll give most crew credit, one thing they're good at is remembering names after the first day of the cruise if you introduce yourself.

But, you are correct about getting treats.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

In January on the Epic I arranged the M & G, I had door prizes, NCL Officers showed up, and we had refreshments.  I received nothing for arranging the M & G. So it might depend on the ship.

I've arranged M&Gs where I got nothing, too.  A couple of times I "think" I got strawberries, but that also may have been because of Latitudes status.  Don't know for certain.

I never went to a M&G for refreshments, it was always to meet people from the Roll Call that I had struck up an online friendship with. After Covid I stopped going to M&Gs and instead just arranged to meet like-minded people for drinks in at a bar or lounge at some point. For us, this works much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just curious, sailed on the Joy last month.  They had drinks, pastries, etc at our M&G.  Is there some sort of edict someone saw that NCL won't provide that?

Yes, the original poster received a confirmation of her M&M and was told refreshments are no longer provided, not sure of a start date for this new policy.

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

You're right.  I did get some chocolate covered strawberries.  But, those are not my cup of tea.  So, it meant nothing.

We got chocolate covered strawberries once, too. Another day it was an entire fruit basket. Then a plate of cookies. Then a plate of macarons. On another day, it was canapés. Over the course of the 10 day cruise, we got something every day. On top of that, there was the reception in the Haven, where they have some exclusive drinks unavailable elsewhere. We got to hobnob with the captain and some of the officers. When I spoke with some of the people I’d met at the Meet and Mingle, they said “oh, yeah, it’s definitely because you hosted it.” We had the direct line of the maître-d’ and the hotel manager. Once I called to ask him a question about something, and got his voicemail, so I left him a message. He called back within 10 minutes and the first thing he did was apologize for missing my call. We really got the royal treatment! Oh and another thing: we got priority tendering and disembarkation. It was almost like the MSC Yacht Club!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

We got chocolate covered strawberries once, too. Another day it was an entire fruit basket. Then a plate of cookies. Then a plate of macarons. On another day, it was canapés. Over the course of the 10 day cruise, we got something every day. On top of that, there was the reception in the Haven, where they have some exclusive drinks unavailable elsewhere. We got to hobnob with the captain and some of the officers. When I spoke with some of the people I’d met at the Meet and Mingle, they said “oh, yeah, it’s definitely because you hosted it.” We had the direct line of the maître-d’ and the hotel manager. Once I called to ask him a question about something, and got his voicemail, so I left him a message. He called back within 10 minutes and the first thing he did was apologize for missing my call. We really got the royal treatment! Oh and another thing: we got priority tendering and disembarkation. It was almost like the MSC Yacht Club!

WOW!  NCL must like you a lot more than me!!!! 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

WOW!  NCL must like you a lot more than me!!!! 😉

Nah, I was just lucky. I will say that out of the 130-ish people who signed up, only about 30 attended (which is sadly typical-some people said they forgot, others claimed they were sea sick, some claimed they overslept or couldn't find the venue). That's OK- I'll host one every time if I get spoiled like that! 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Nah, I was just lucky. I will say that out of the 130-ish people who signed up, only about 30 attended (which is sadly typical-some people said they forgot, others claimed they were sea sick, some claimed they overslept or couldn't find the venue). That's OK- I'll host one every time if I get spoiled like that! 🤣

Yeah.....I do it because I like to see other like minded cruise guests who just like cruising (or like NCL).

The ones I've organized seem to have attendance that coincides with the size of the ship.  Find the Breakaway Plus ships had better attendance than the Break/Get-Away ships.

That said, my Prima sailing last October had 50+-ish attendees.  The M&G I attended on the Joy last month had maybe 15-ish?  No matter.  I finally got to meet some long time CC-ers on both.

And, I don't think I ate or drank anything NCL had available on either.

EDIT...I lied.  I had a couple of cookies on the Prima M&G.

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I read some threads a while ago that there was a "fight" that broke out on these boards because two people arranged a M&G.  Not sure how it turned out.  But, I found it strange why anyone would get upset because someone else arranged a M&G.  That's when I realized it was for the treats they send to the cabin, which to me anyway, is NOT a reason to arrange a M&G.

Usually, I introduce myself to the F&B and the GM at one of the other events like Latitudes or the M&G.  I'll give most crew credit, one thing they're good at is remembering names after the first day of the cruise if you introduce yourself.

But, you are correct about getting treats.

Hahaha it sounds like the sailing I was on last year where I set up and confirmed a M&G with shoreside and then a couple of weeks before the cruise someone switched their entire ship and sail date to try and set one up "at the request of the ship's GM." Mine had been confirmed first, so it took priority.

Im sure it has happened a few times though so it may not be the only "fight" that has played out on this board

25 minutes ago, 603NHCruiser said:

Hahaha it sounds like the sailing I was on last year where I set up and confirmed a M&G with shoreside and then a couple of weeks before the cruise someone switched their entire ship and sail date to try and set one up "at the request of the ship's GM." Mine had been confirmed first, so it took priority.

Im sure it has happened a few times though so it may not be the only "fight" that has played out on this board

Never thought it was a big deal, but apparently the two I followed who had set up a M&G on the same ship, same sailing really got heated.  It happened on one of the CC threads.  Seems like a lot of whining and complaining just to get some chocolate covered strawberries. But, who knows what motivates some people?

Can't imagine ANY ship's GM requesting someone set up a M&G.  They'll participate, but I'm betting there is a policy that forbids it.  I have had a GM send me some treats when I organized a M&G.  But, I've also had them send me stuff randomly for no reason.

IMG_2860.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Never thought it was a big deal, but apparently the two I followed who had set up a M&G on the same ship, same sailing really got heated.  It happened on one of the CC threads.  Seems like a lot of whining and complaining just to get some chocolate covered strawberries. But, who knows what motivates some people?

Can't imagine ANY ship's GM requesting someone set up a M&G.  They'll participate, but I'm betting there is a policy that forbids it.  I have had a GM send me some treats when I organized a M&G.  But, I've also had them send me stuff randomly for no reason.

Luckily mine didn’t end up too “heated” and I resolved it by making her a co-organizer. She never even ended up coming to the actual M&G go figure.

I found the claim that she had been “requested by the GM” odd as well. Especially given how quiet the CC roll call was. The only thing I can think of is she was after the extra goodies you sometimes get as the organizer. Which both you and I don’t see a lot of value in. I will say that on one sailing as the organizer I got a VIP walk on by the group events coordinator and didn’t have to wait to board, but it’s only happened once, and with latitudes priority I’m usually on pretty quickly anyway haha. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah.....I do it because I like to see other like minded cruise guests who just like cruising (or like NCL).

Same here. Since my wife and I cruise alone, which is to say not normally with other family or friends, it's nice to attend a gathering where we can meet other folks. Which is not to say that we don't meet people during the course of the cruise (we do), but it's kind of a nice icebreaker.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 603NHCruiser said:

Luckily mine didn’t end up too “heated” and I resolved it by making her a co-organizer. She never even ended up coming to the actual M&G go figure.

I found the claim that she had been “requested by the GM” odd as well. Especially given how quiet the CC roll call was. The only thing I can think of is she was after the extra goodies you sometimes get as the organizer. Which both you and I don’t see a lot of value in. I will say that on one sailing as the organizer I got a VIP walk on by the group events coordinator and didn’t have to wait to board, but it’s only happened once, and with latitudes priority I’m usually on pretty quickly anyway haha. 

Who knows what motivates people?  Strawberries?  Sure, go for it.

I've had people post that they were going to do a Meet and Greet after I posted I had arranged one through NCL.  I happily passed the baton to them.  The point is to organize one and follow up.  The pastries, coffee, juice, cookies etc. have no bearing on it, as that's not the purpose.  You can get all that elsewhere on the ship.

I want to interface with my fellow cruisers and ask the ship's crew questions.  Which I believe are the two major reasons to do a Meet and Greet.

Regarding snacks, I'm of the mind that's something arranged on the ship by the GM.  I've had GM's serve alcoholic drinks and canapés.  Others we were getting only water and cookies.  That a ship would state "they don't do that anymore" is something I would question to the GM at the M&G.  Don't care, but that sounds contrary to NCL's past sponsorship of these events.  They do a nice job for Solos, Latitudes, Vets, and CC members.  I'd be surprised if they didn't court them/us.

Posted (edited)

Of course I'd attend! And it would be especially great if some of the officers show. But it's all about meeting the CC personalities and friends you make on the Roll Calls.

Edited by Snowrose
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2024 at 1:37 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

Right, they’re paying for these with their own funds, not your cruise fare. If attendance is down, why put out a lavish spread? 

Lavish, you don't have high standards do you 😂😂

• Haha 1