Buffet Bugs

dockman

On 7/25/2024 at 11:24 AM, doghog said:

Phew! Based on the title I thought Princess was cutting back and now serving bugs in the buffet. 🤢

We did Mescal tasting on Las Caletas the last time we ported in Puerto Vallarta. They offered different "bites" of stuff with each type of Mescal they served. My wife and I were the only ones who tried the toasted crickets. They were "interesting" - not great but not bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Cruise on the Sun.  The crew serves you in the buffet.

We haven tried the Sun yet but I suspect they overserve the portions & I'll be throwing away lots of food since I like to take small amounts of many different things.

2 minutes ago, 555 said:

We haven tried the Sun yet but I suspect they overserve the portions & I'll be throwing away lots of food since I like to take small amounts of many different things.

All you need to do is open your mouth and communicate to the server how much of a portion you'd like of a certain item.  It really is very simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just of note, they will let you on the ship being sick but possibly confine you to your room until you are no longer contagious,  
You may not agree but that doesn’t change my opinion.  Buy the Princess insurance and you can always reschedule by using either the future cruise credits or even cash if you choose to get a doctor’s note.  
I believe anyone that can afford a cruise can afford to be unselfish .. just self isolate.  It’s called being a responsible human being.  

Try getting a sick note in the UK. It's impossible getting to see a doctor and who want's to board a ship and be isolated straight away ? You won't get a person more conscious of hygiene than myself I was trained in it being in the catering trade. I don't cough over people, I wash my hands when using the toilet or before eating. I am aware there are many that don't adhere to basic standards of hygiene and that's probably one of the main reason's for the spreading of things on a ship. They have been referred to in some quarters as floating petri dishes.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

We did Mescal tasting on Las Caletas the last time we ported in Puerto Vallarta. They offered different "bites" of stuff with each type of Mescal they served. My wife and I were the only ones who tried the toasted crickets. They were "interesting" - not great but not bad.

You should have gone for the worm in the bottom of the tequila bottle. 😉

4 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

All you need to do is open your mouth and communicate to the server how much of a portion you'd like of a certain item.  It really is very simple.

I'll see how it works out but I still prefer to do it myself. 

I'd hate to be in line behind my wife at the salad bar. They're going to be in for a 10 minute wait to be served. 

14 hours ago, memoak said:

If you are planning to mask in any environment that is crowded on a cruise ship I believe you may have to mask pretty much at every event and meal. Theatres, lounges, bars , restaurants, elevator, piazza , buffet, pool deck etc are all going to have a high number of bodies.  You own cabin is one of the few places that won’t be full of people

Yep, I'm aware. We booked a suite so we have the flexibility to dine in our suite if we feel it's best, or spend time relaxing on our aft balcony. We have a specific goal for one of the ports, and that's what we're focused on accomplishing. We can easily skip the shows, bars, etc. We've done that stuff before on Princess, and while we had fun there's nothing that was ever so spectacular we'll feel like we'd be missing out.

37 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

Yep, I'm aware. We booked a suite so we have the flexibility to dine in our suite if we feel it's best, or spend time relaxing on our aft balcony. We have a specific goal for one of the ports, and that's what we're focused on accomplishing. We can easily skip the shows, bars, etc. We've done that stuff before on Princess, and while we had fun there's nothing that was ever so spectacular we'll feel like we'd be missing out.

Yes you can get room service from the MDR in your suite. We also travel in suites and found that service a little lacking. Unless you are in an Owners Suite the only table you will have is the coffee table or the balcony table. All courses will come together so you may have an issue with temps. Unless you have a plus or premier package each call to room service will entail a $5 charge

2 hours ago, 555 said:

I'll see how it works out but I still prefer to do it myself. 

I'd hate to be in line behind my wife at the salad bar. They're going to be in for a 10 minute wait to be served. 

This was really the only issue we had with not being able to server ourselves during an ongoing Noro "event" last year. My wife loves to build her own salad and having someone else do it was painful. Not being able to easily control exactly what went into her salad and the amounts of each item led to her just giving up as it took forever and the result wasn't satisfactory.

We take a lot of precautions when cruising including never stepping foot in the buffet, never using elevators, never touching handrails, washing hands as often as possible & using hand sanitizer in between and masking when in crowded areas. With all of that, we've gotten sick on our last 2 cruises - once with COVID and once with a bad head cold.

The bottom line is, traveling of any sort in this day and age comes with risks of getting sick and there's no way around it. We will continue to do what we can to protect ourselves, but recognize there's a strong likelihood we will pick up a virus of some sort and that's just the way it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

This was really the only issue we had with not being able to server ourselves during an ongoing Noro "event" last year. My wife loves to build her own salad and having someone else do it was painful. Not being able to easily control exactly what went into her salad and the amounts of each item led to her just giving up as it took forever and the result wasn't satisfactory.

Well then you know where I'm coming from.

I'm normally just about finished with my meal in the buffet when she's just finished with her salad building. 

Somehow I don't think the crew will be that accommodating so

maybe she can ask for an large bowl of everything to take to the table & pick through it for what she wants.  

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2024 at 8:10 AM, Cruisemeister2002 said:

That's where the problem lay's. yes you will always get a few selfish people, but who can afford to lose many thousands of dollars or pounds because they have a cough or cold.

I think it is more who wants to have wasted thousands as opposed to who can afford it.  If it cannot be afforded, then one should not have booked to begin with.