Likely not totally live, Edge, 50 somethings cruise to Alaska

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Not Totally Live Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

cruisetonowhere10 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Thursday Plan:

Packed carryon only
Dog sitters (we have two sweet girls) in place

Coast to Coast Travel to Seattle

Explored Pike’s Place area

In bed at 5pm Seattle time

Bit of back story…this is the third time we’ve tried this cruise (both of us have been to Seattle, I’ve cruised Alaska out of Vancouver on Disney one time in 2016,) once during the height of Covid (canceled) once at the restart (we bailed) so despite being offered quite a deal from Celebrity (refund and FCC) to not take this we are doing it (and SWA was offering vouchers for the second leg of our flight which we didn’t take because we needed to be certain we could get here.) Weather in Seattle is awesome so far and it’s all systems go for our cruise.

Flights: SWA on points, early bird boarding in case WiFi fails us for check in at the 24hr mark, but then we have a SWA Visa so we have 4 priority boarding upgrades on DHs account which we used on the flights out.  We will use mine on the way home if it works. We have shorter duration flights in the coming year so we are happy to use them now. Very nice perk!

Hotel: Thompson Seattle, booked using Hyatt points, cool, edgy boutique hotel basically almost in Pike’s Place Market. Nice rooftop bar for drinks although the pricing on off menu bar cocktails was, interesting. Cookie upon check in and “champagne” during happy hour from the front desk.  On an interesting note the in room honor bar had several interesting options…see picture 🙂

Pike’s Place Market: We have both been before so low pressure…we got “gelato” at Hellenika (Lemon curd and London fog which was so good), lasagna at Pasta Casalinga (really good and I plan to recreate it,) Sandwich halves from some deli (I could’ve done without), BBQ (not sure on place and DH liked it fine), Fried shrimp with chili sauce (yum) at the place next to the BBQ place and all of that resulted in a bloated stomach.  I did a lot of research and recommend Pasta Casalinga and Hellenika.  We were going to try a chowder sampler at Pike’s Place Chowder but we decided our stomachs might not like the unusual influx of dairy. The fried shrimp were a surprise add on but very good. I rallied for drinks at the hotel rooftop bar…We also went on the Great Wheel which is huge (175ft) and we enjoyed that from a view perspective.  Saw the gum wall which neither of us had done before.

Friday Plan: 

Wake up early

Go for a good walk 4-6 miles

Locate morning coffee 

Uber to port at 9:45

Board — IV stateroom, premium drink package, WiFi, no speciality dining (although if available we will eat lunch at one tomorrow with OBC) no ship excursions (hiking in the Alaskan ports on our own.)

IMG_7240.jpeg

IMG_7244.jpeg

IMG_7249.jpeg

IMG_7251.jpeg

IMG_7250.jpeg

IMG_7264.jpeg

• Like 5

Following!  Yes, um...very interesting "menu" in the room.  Stay well or Romance - what to choose, what to choose 🤔🤣.   

Enjoy your embarkation day tomorrow!  Hope your skies are sunny and sail-away is spectacular!

~Bernadette

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ciaranaman said:

Following!  Yes, um...very interesting "menu" in the room.  Stay well or Romance - what to choose, what to choose 🤔🤣.   

Enjoy your embarkation day tomorrow!  Hope your skies are sunny and sail-away is spectacular!

~Bernadette

That’s exactly what I said when I reported to the front desk that these items were missing from our room and not to charge us (if you selected the personal items you are probably past the mask/sanitizer phase.)

• Haha 2

Looking forward to reading all about your hikes in Alaska. We are thinking about going to Alaska for a second time and hiking in the ports ourselves would be our plan this time round. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scottishclover said:

Looking forward to reading all about your hikes in Alaska. We are thinking about going to Alaska for a second time and hiking in the ports ourselves would be our plan this time round. 

I’m not a huge spender and we like to hike so it’s a good option for us.

Thank you all!  It was nice to sleep.  Coming from the East Coast to the West Coast isn’t horrible, but when you don’t sleep at home for a few days leading up to the trip and leave your house at 3am it makes for a nice early first night.  I’m now ready to roll at 5am.  😂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

Happy embarkation day! I will be following along while counting down the days until we board Edge next Friday!

Thank you!  I’m just waiting for DH to wake up then an invigorating walk (to offset calories to be consumed) and coffee!

3 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Expect your Uber to drop you off about a 7-10 minute walk from the terminal building, so you will have another opportunity to walk before getting on the Edge.  :  )

Perfect.  We are good walkers (once the morning stiffness is walked off.) Will we be passing by you at the port this am? We have a 10:30-11:00 check in time.

Posted (edited)

Pier 91 doors will open at 10 AM, so you will be in the building shortly thereafter.  After the security check-in, you will be checked-in by an agent holding a tablet.  You will also receive a boarding time ticket which will let you know what boarding group you are in.  It should be a easy fast process.  The Edge should start boarding around 10;45 - first the Retreat guests, then Premium Access, then the numbered board groups.   

And yes, at some point you will be passing by me.  ;  )

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Pier 91 doors will open at 10 AM, so you will be in the building shortly thereafter.  After the security check-in, you will be checked-in by an agent holding a tablet.  You will also receive a boarding time ticket which will let you know what boarding group you are in.  It should be a easy fast process.  The Edge should start boarding around 10;45 - first the Retreat guests, then Premium Access, then the numbered board groups.   

And yes, at some point you will be passing by me.  ;  )

You are the best!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

No, that was the garnish, but it looks like a butterfly.  

Ok.. don't ask what I've been smoking.... I honestly thought you captured a butterfly.

• Haha 1