Will prices continue to rise

With the recent changes in cruising in Australia ie companies pulling out of Australia, ships pulling out of round trips from Melbourne and other ports, less supply increases demand. I like to cruise Princess and many listed are now sold out, some months in advance. Will this lead to whole sale increase in prices as they have a captive audience? I also wonder when people are sent emails to bid higher cabins for sold out cruises, is that a marketing exercise to see what people might be prepared to pay and determine the increase in future prices?

It is very depressing to be sent offers of great deals only to see they are all overseas. There won’t be any last minute bargains here as the cruises are sold out.  Isn’t this proof that here in Australia we are a great market for more cruises? Alas that is not the way it is going. Having to add airfares, accommodation and more time off to go on a cruise means doing it less often 😥😥

• Like 2

I have noticed that prices have risen already, and I agree, that this will probably continue as supply decreases.

The emails inviting people to bid for an upgrade are not sent by Princess, but by another company who presumably has a contract with Princess. This company probably isn't advised when a cruise is sold out so these emails go out anyway. I doubt that it is to determine what people are prepared to pay because the dollar value you have to bid is less than the original pricing of the cabin and it has sold anyway.

I agree that Australia is a great market for cruises, but you are preaching to the choir. 😁

• Like 5

Surely the exorbitant port fees charged in Australia are part of the reason we are seeing ships withdrawing from the local market and prices rising. 

At this stage cruising remains the best value for money holiday that DW and I can find. YMMV

• Like 4

I don't  think they've risen as much as they should've. When I look back at what we paid 12 years ago compared to the same itinerary now the increase is not a lot compared to the rate of CPI, inflation etc 

I do think more people are cruising in Australia  compared to a decade ago so that's  probably  a factor in the prices being higher - because  they can. The price is set to what the customer is willing to pay to get the ship fully booked.

In saying that, there are still bargains to be found, early bird specials, flash sales etc we just have to be more diligent in looking for them.

And I agree with @Sparky74 cruising still remains a very cost effective holiday, especially  for our family of 4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree, ‘was’ cheaper, not so sure will be. Not being able to drive to port or same day train, is the big issue for me. Leaving and returning from Melbourne port was convenient and cheaper. With princess pulled out and P & O going we Melbournites basically have to get to Sydney. Hence my lament. I realise other states are affected and some always have been. Having wanted to cruise for a long time and finally being able to do it in 2020 - one of the last cruises before COVID, & one out of Melbourne since. I have my last out of Melbourne booked for September and will be savouring every minute of being dropped off at a home port and training it home. I guess it’s not a new problem for cruisers. Sorry to cast the gloom. Just hit me anew when I was participating in my favourite pastime (checking out possible future cruises).

Thanks for the info Aus Traveller re the third party company and bids. I did not know that.

• Like 4

This thread has prompted me to post an updated cruise bargains list on the El Cheapo Cruises Thread.

The cost of everything has gone up (I really notice it at the supermarket) but there are still some cruises to be had for less than $120/person/day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Surely the exorbitant port fees charged in Australia are part of the reason we are seeing ships withdrawing from the local market and prices rising. 

At this stage cruising remains the best value for money holiday that DW and I can find. YMMV

I believe they have withdrawn because they can't make enough profit here. The port charges are a passenger tax, and in most cases, haven't been rising as much as inflation. If they removed those passenger taxes altogether, we get a slightly cheaper fare but the cruise lines make no more money.  But, if the cruise lines put their prices up to increase profits, they sell less cabins and they see no point in filling ships if there isn't much profit to be made. Less ships = less cabins to sell, so that more cruises sell out at full price. As much as we love a bargain, they only exist when they aren't selling.

When P&O is fully dissolved into Carnival and their new 2026 itineraries are released as Carnival product, the prices at the bottom of the market will rise, and the more premium brands will follow suit. That is the current trajectory, but a China led recession could reverse that trend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

This thread has prompted me to post an updated cruise bargains list on the El Cheapo Cruises Thread.

The cost of everything has gone up (I really notice it at the supermarket) but there are still some cruises to be had for less than $120/person/day. 

Thanks Sparky 74. I’ll check it out. Hubbys a bit claustrophobic so been booking balconies. Will have to get him to try insides as definitely bargains on your el Cheopo post. 

• Thanks 1

its not just the cost of a cruise its all the associated expenses that go with it, flights and accommodation beforehand or if driving cost of petrol and parking, and living in tasmania an el cheapo flight to sydney or brisbane from launceston can add $500 to $1,000 to the cost plus accommodation, devonport is worse as you've only got qantas, I've cancelled 2 cruises recently that would have cost me around 24k but decided to buy a car instead.

• Like 4

I'm at a stage where I've mostly run out of domestic ports as I am destination and port oriented.

Good news, for me,  is that international flight costs are coming down.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I'm at a stage where I've mostly run out of domestic ports as I am destination and port oriented.

Good news, for me,  is that international flight costs are coming down.

Travelling overseas and cruising from international ports are more attractive for us as well. Maybe when we are older we will do more domestic trips.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It already has incteased, though one wonders how long demand will remain for the same couple of old ships going to Moreton Island and Venuatu over and over. 

Edited by Jim_P
  • Like 2