Recent Independence Of The Seas cruisers...

Hi all..my DW & I are taking a friend on her FIRST cruise ever on the IOS in early Feb on a 5 nighter..we are Diamond +, so we are OK with pretty much all the activities..however, we have never been on the Independence ( been on sister ships Freedom & Liberty twice..), and have a few questions about shows & other stuff...here we go:

1) Does RCI still have the 70's disco party in the Royal Promenade, or is it the 80's now?

2) Ice skating shows in Studio B still like 5 pm & 7:30 PM?

3) Grease shows are what times please?

4) Our friend loves shopping..do they still have the kiosks in the Royal Promenade selling jewelry, bags, watches, etc.?

5) For Diamond members...is the Diamond Club still in the Viking Crown Lounge area? Your Seapass lets you in?

Any other tips for this ship would be appreciated...Thanks!

Big Al

35 minutes ago, big al said:

5) For Diamond members...is the Diamond Club still in the Viking Crown Lounge area? Your Seapass lets you in?

The crown lounge is the old diamond lounge renamed. Diamond lounge name doesnt exist any more. I'm not sure about the word viking. 

4. There will always be shopping onboard. It's a revenue stream. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

The crown lounge is the old diamond lounge renamed. Diamond lounge name doesnt exist any more. I'm not sure about the word viking. 

On Independence, The Viking Crown Lounge is the name of the deck 14 lounge area, in which the Crown Lounge (ex. Diamond Club), Suite Lounge, and Olive or Twist bar are located.

In our experience, that area has been named that since our first cruise on Sovereign 32 years ago, and was the same for all RCCL ships that have that venue.  The Crown Lounge and Suite Lounge are located in different areas on different ships, however.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

28 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

On Independence, The Viking Crown Lounge is the name of the deck 14 lounge area, in which the Crown Lounge (ex. Diamond Club), Suite Lounge, and Olive or Twist bar are located.

In our experience, that area has been named that since our first cruise on Sovereign 32 years ago, and was the same for all RCCL ships that have that venue.  The Crown Lounge and Suite Lounge are located in different areas on different ships, however.

Of course the suite lounge isnt the crown lounge or diamond lounge. I'm seeing diamond lounge signs taken down and crown lounge signs up on several ships. Havent paid more attention than that but of course I knew not the same as suite lounge. 

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Of course the suite lounge isnt the crown lounge or diamond lounge. I'm seeing diamond lounge signs taken down and crown lounge signs up on several ships. Havent paid more attention than that but of course I knew not the same as suite lounge. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I realize that and wasn't suggesting you thought they were the same venues  I was only identifying what is located in the Viking Crown Lounge.  The VKL is just the name of the venue that houses those separate lounges and bar on that ship.  

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, big al said:

Hi all..my DW & I are taking a friend on her FIRST cruise ever on the IOS in early Feb on a 5 nighter..we are Diamond +, so we are OK with pretty much all the activities..however, we have never been on the Independence ( been on sister ships Freedom & Liberty twice..), and have a few questions about shows & other stuff...here we go:

1) Does RCI still have the 70's disco party in the Royal Promenade, or is it the 80's now?

2) Ice skating shows in Studio B still like 5 pm & 7:30 PM?

3) Grease shows are what times please?

4) Our friend loves shopping..do they still have the kiosks in the Royal Promenade selling jewelry, bags, watches, etc.?

Any other tips for this ship would be appreciated...Thanks!

Big Al

Great ship, sailed on her last October and then again in April of this year.  I see others have told you that the Crown Lounge is up on deck 14, but  remember, your friend will not be able to join you in there, it's for Diamond and above only and you cannot bring a guest. During the late afternoon/evening happy hour, which is appetizers, and you can use your daily vouchers to pay for drinks. Since going to the 4 daily drink vouchers there are no longer complimentary cocktails during the happy hour in Crown Lounge. If this is the case, there will be some sort of notification, in my case, it was the welcome email prior to the April sailing that came from the Diamond concierge.  Definitely yes on the shopping, lol.  We had both a 70's and an 80's party. It was a 5 night cruise.  But who knows what the parties will be in February.  70's and 80's are typical, but that can always change. As it gets closer, start watching the app for a sailing of the same amount of nights on the app so you can see what is offered. 

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

My 5-night in June only had the 80's show. Grease was at 6pm and 9pm. There's also Invitation to Dance around 7pm a few nights. I don't remember a 5pm ice skating show. It was usually in the evenings and one night it was at 7pm and 9:15pm.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

I don't remember a 5pm ice skating show. It was usually in the evenings and one night it was at 7pm and 9:15pm.

Did they not offer an afternoon show? I know on longer sailings they typically would have one or two.  But that may have changed.

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Did they not offer an afternoon show? I know on longer sailings they typically would have one or two.  But that may have changed.

I thought there normally was too. We did the 7-night last Thanksgiving and they had everything. I was just thinking I was confused between the sailing lengths.

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Ok, just pulled up the current sailing in the app.

Day 1: Ice show at 7 & 9:15

Day 2: Impact at 7 & 9:30

Day 3: Invitation to Dance: 7:15 & 9:30

Day 4: Ice show at 7:15 & 9:30

Day 5: Grease at 6 & 9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I have been on Independence several times in the last year. I don’t recall any ice shows being in the afternoon. However, when I was on Allure a few months ago, they added an afternoon ice show (2 PM I think) on the last day of the cruise that previously wasn’t scheduled. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been on Independence several times in the last year. I don’t recall any ice shows being in the afternoon. However, when I was on Allure a few months ago, they added an afternoon ice show (2 PM I think) on the last day of the cruise that previously wasn’t scheduled. 

Been a while since we were on Independence and never on a shorter than 7-night, so I was unsure if on those sailings they had the afternoon ice show.  And I do recall Allure having one.  But again it was a 7-night sailing.

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Been a while since we were on Independence and never on a shorter than 7-night, so I was unsure if on those sailings they had the afternoon ice show.  And I do recall Allure having one.  But again it was a 7-night sailing.

Just a guess, but I think Allure added another ice show since it was highly likely a lot of people didn’t get to see the ice show since it was only a 4 day cruise (Studio B was packed for the show we attended).  

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just a guess, but I think Allure added another ice show since it was highly likely a lot of people didn’t get to see the ice show since it was only a 4 day cruise (Studio B was packed for the show we attended).  

Got it.

17 hours ago, rockmom said:

Great ship, sailed on her last October and then again in April of this year.  I see others have told you that the Crown Lounge is up on deck 14, but  remember, your friend will not be able to join you in there, it's for Diamond and above only and you cannot bring a guest. During the late afternoon/evening happy hour, which is appetizers, and you can use your daily vouchers to pay for drinks. Since going to the 4 daily drink vouchers there are no longer complimentary cocktails during the happy hour in Crown Lounge. If this is the case, there will be some sort of notification, in my case, it was the welcome email prior to the April sailing that came from the Diamond concierge.  Definitely yes on the shopping, lol.  We had both a 70's and an 80's party. It was a 5 night cruise.  But who knows what the parties will be in February.  70's and 80's are typical, but that can always change. As it gets closer, start watching the app for a sailing of the same amount of nights on the app so you can see what is offered. 

The OP says D+, so 5 drink vouchers.  We will be on INDY again in 2025.

31 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The OP says D+, so 5 drink vouchers.  We will be on INDY again in 2025.

Correct..5 drink vouchers...I probably will not be going into the Diamond Lounge much, since my friend can't go in..that would be somewhat rude IMO on her 1st cruise...there's still a lot of time left before Feb. '25..things may change..I am more interested in the shows than the Diamond stuff BTW..but thanks for all your input!

Big Al

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, big al said:

Correct..5 drink vouchers...I probably will not be going into the Diamond Lounge much, since my friend can't go in..that would be somewhat rude IMO on her 1st cruise...there's still a lot of time left before Feb. '25..things may change..I am more interested in the shows than the Diamond stuff BTW..but thanks for all your input!

Big Al

The vouchers are good at any bar on the ship, so you don't need to go to the Crown Lounge (ex-Diamond Club) to use them.  That way your friend can join you when you use them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The vouchers are good at any bar on the ship, so you don't need to go to the Crown Lounge (ex-Diamond Club) to use them.  That way your friend can join you when you use them.

I know..good point though! I drink mostly beer, apple martinis, or a B-52 ( Kahlua, Grand Marnier & Bailey's ..)...and the beers in the Lounge are terrible..I am a beer snob, and RCI's beers in the Lounge are awful IMO..I get beer at the British Pub or Playmakers ( I prefer drafts..)..

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, big al said:

I know..good point though! I drink mostly beer, apple martinis, or a B-52 ( Kahlua, Grand Marnier & Bailey's ..)...and the beers in the Lounge are terrible..I am a beer snob, and RCI's beers in the Lounge are awful IMO..I get beer at the British Pub or Playmakers ( I prefer drafts..)..

You can order any drink you want in the CR with the vouchers (or any bar for that matter). They don't limit the selection other than to cap the value at $15 each. And we have never had that enforced.

The vouchers are automatically reloaded every day on your SeaPass card, and any unused ones can be cashed in at the end of the day for any unopened canned or bottled beverage and taken back to your stateroom for another day.  (Beer, Truly, soda, water, etc.)

They also can be combined in their use in that you can use yours for your spouse and visa versa - 10 drinks combined each day.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 7:32 AM, big al said:

1) Does RCI still have the 70's disco party in the Royal Promenade, or is it the 80's now? They had both a 70's and 80's party I believe when we were on last month.  They were well attended and lots of fun. 

2) Ice skating shows in Studio B still like 5 pm & 7:30 PM?  We went to the later Ice Skating show - I think it was 7:45 or so maybe even 8 but it was incredible.  The music was so much better than on Mariner and the jumps those skaters do on that ice are just so incredible.  

3) Grease shows are what times please? There were 2 shows.  The first was at 5 I think and the later one was 8:30 again I think.  We went to the later show.  I got seats 30 minutes before the show and it was a jam packed theater.  The show was incredible but the show etiquette was non existent.  You have to have patience with all the people talking or looking at phones or kids getting up and down.  It was frustrating but I greatly enjoyed the show. 

4) Our friend loves shopping..do they still have the kiosks in the Royal Promenade selling jewelry, bags, watches, etc.?  Lots of shopping opportunities.