Oceania Children Alaska

CincyAL

I have been on Alaska cruises (Regatta) that had the kids' program, but have no direct experience with what they do and the activities were not listed in Currents. My recollection: The game room is used for the indoor activities (the games and puzzles were moved to Horizons near the coffee machine). Every once in a while we'd see the kids' group with their adult leaders walking around the ship. The kids I saw were well behaved, and during my brief interactions they were very polite (basically young versions of the typical O-patron). If I had to guess, I'd say that there were likely activities throughout the daytime hours (not sure about evening). Hopefully someone who has seen the schedule will chime in.

2 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I have been on Alaska cruises (Regatta) that had the kids' program, but have no direct experience with what they do and the activities were not listed in Currents. My recollection: The game room is used for the indoor activities (the games and puzzles were moved to Horizons near the coffee machine). Every once in a while we'd see the kids' group with their adult leaders walking around the ship. The kids I saw were well behaved, and during my brief interactions they were very polite (basically young versions of the typical O-patron). If I had to guess, I'd say that there were likely activities throughout the daytime hours (not sure about evening). Hopefully someone who has seen the schedule will chime in.

Haven’t seen the schedule but have been on an Alaska cruise with the kids’ club. As you said, well behaved. 
We’ve also seen kids on other, mostly summer, O cruises. Toddlers through teens, all well behaved. Even have seen at least one pre-teen on Insignia who was on a World Cruise (now that’s home schooling!) - perfect gentleman. 

To Sitraveler (Lou),

I can't remember which cruise you and Marsha were on with me, but it was over 10 years ago.

I am glad your sense of humour hasn't changed!  I remember you talking about how hard it was to raise the boneless lambs for boneless lamb chops, because the lambs kept falling down.

Great memories! Oh, just remembered...think it was Rome to Rio in 2011. Remember the lunch with Katie Parla?

Marian

11 minutes ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

To Sitraveler (Lou),

I can't remember which cruise you and Marsha were on with me, but it was over 10 years ago.

I am glad your sense of humour hasn't changed!  I remember you talking about how hard it was to raise the boneless lambs for boneless lamb chops, because the lambs kept falling down.

Great memories! Oh, just remembered...think it was Rome to Rio in 2011. Remember the lunch with Katie Parla?

Marian

Hi.   Thanks for the reminder. Katie is doing cooking instruction on cable.  

On 7/28/2024 at 8:47 AM, jonthomas said:

Regatta to Alaska in September, hoping for NO kids. One can hope.

Regatta to Alaska in September with the whole extended family, including two kids. 🤷🏿‍♂️ 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/28/2024 at 7:47 AM, jonthomas said:

Early September or late September? Makes a difference…..

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 5:47 AM, jonthomas said:

Well, if there are some, maybe they won't bite. 😝

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GoGators25 said:

Regatta to Alaska in September with the whole extended family, including two kids. 🤷🏿‍♂️ 

If they run around and knock on doors all night, we will be visiting the GM as before.

We and others are still hopeful for few families and even fewer kids in September. After all school  is in session.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

If they run around and knock on doors all night, we will be visiting the GM as before.

Did this happen on an Oceania ship?  More than one voyage?

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

We and others are still hopeful for few families and even fewer kids in September. After all school  is in session.

The only door knocking episodes we’ve encountered were from a dementia passenger whose wife allowed him to roam freely. Seems a decade earlier he had stayed in the cabin next door, and short term memory being what it was ( or wasn’t) he kept returning late nightly to pound on that door, and then yelled, to get in.

I’d vote to ban dementia passengers far quicker than children. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I’d vote to ban dementia passengers far quicker than children. 

In this case, just like parents of unruly kids, it was the wife’s fault.

I canceled a SP cruise I’d planned for over 2 years because my husband’s Alzheimer’s had progressed quickly. (He was 68).

Sounds like she shouldn’t have booked in 1st place & never should have allowed him out of her sight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

Did this happen on an Oceania ship?  More than one voyage?

No, she’s reported it before and it was Celebrity. 

I have to be honest, I am not a kid person, so prefer no kids.  However, this is not an adults-only line, so I can't expect that.  The few that I have encountered on each cruise have been extremely well-behaved, and never bothered me a bit.  I can't imagine how they had fun on the ship, though.  I would have been bored to tears when I was that age.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, emd138 said:

I have to be honest, I am not a kid person, so prefer no kids.  However, this is not an adults-only line, so I can't expect that.  The few that I have encountered on each cruise have been extremely well-behaved, and never bothered me a bit.  I can't imagine how they had fun on the ship, though.  I would have been bored to tears when I was that age.

Remember that some cruisers go for the ports and itinerary while others go primarily for the ship. I have met plenty of kids on port intensive cruises that have loved the experiences of new lands, new exotic food, and new experiences. Their actual time on the ship mostly rotated around getting cleaned up for dinner, even if just in the TC, a few video games or talking with other newly minted friends aboard ship, and going to bed to get ready for another day.

I believe the question made above primarily applies to those parents that cruise mostly for the ship and only infrequently, and for short periods, go ashore. First, I’ll comment that on Oceania, I have met very few parents, bringing youngsters, that do that. Oceania is indeed not geared toward that crowd. In reality, except for the occasional sea day, we aren’t on the ship then either. 

On Oceania and Uniworld we have never met ill behaved children that the 0.002% of some posters here seem so horrified of. Perhaps they should really consider Viking that doesn’t allow children.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sadly it is when parents let kids roam because they are safe on a ship. Like any activity groups of kids feed off of each others energy. Hard for crew to do anything about it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

On Oceania and Uniworld we have never met ill behaved children that the 0.002% of some posters here seem so horrified of. 

🤣