Sheltered balcony cabin on QM2 ??

Tbird58

We're thinking of doing TA from Hamburg - NYC in Aug 2025.  I'm curious about the sheltered balcony cabins on QM2.  We had a sheltered balcony on Celebrity when we booked AQ and we weren't very happy with it, due to the noise above.  Any comments, suggestions, etc - I'd appreciate.  

I have had sheltered balconies on Deck 5 and 6.  They were not noisy, but you can not look down at the water while sitting.  They were good when the weather was rainy or cold as you are still able to use them.  

Deck 6 is one below the promenade deck. Deck 5 may be better. Never been on Deck 6 but heard warnings, generically, about avoiding deck below the promenade deck. Otherwise, sheltered balconies are a good deal unless you require floor to ceiling glass balcony door and view. These decks are lower so they're supposed to have less ship motion. Deck 4 could potentially be noisier being closer to Deck 3 - that has a variety of uses - shops, theatre, restaurants etc. Nightclub right at aft so probably Deck 4 far aft a bad idea. Look up Deck 3 plans.

• Like 1

I have had sheltered balconies on all three decks and didn't have noise issues. Never had sounds of joggers overhead when I was on 6. For a transatlantic, the sheltered balcony is great. When it's windy and uncomfortable on a high glass-front balcony, you can still go outside. Unless you're far forward or aft, it's a very stable ride in a low cabin. 

True, you can't see the ocean when you're sitting, but if you stand and look down, you don't see lifeboats or the promenade deck, just the ocean. 

For a WB TA, try to get a cabin on the port side so you'll have some sun.

• Like 4

I am another fan of Sheltered Balconies, particularly if it's a Crossing. If the weather is poor it may be the best access to the outside that anyone will get, since they may close the outside decks and conventional balconies become impractical to use.

In a way they can be less noisy that standard balconies. This is because it's a more sturdy structure against your neighbour, so you are less likely to hear them if they are loud talkers. For deck 6, you may hear some noise from the promenade, but it depends a little on exactly what is directly above. So when deck 7 constricts at the bow and stern, there are no lounger seating above, so you won't hear the noise of them being moved, and the joggers slow down. I wouldn't say it's loud, more if you have the door to the balcony open. It's certainly not enough of a factor to concern me and the ease of getting to deck 7 has advantages anyway. Decks 4 and 5 are the other options.

If you are tall, you can see some of the sea when sat down. I'm 1.86 metres and this is the view when the seat is on the top setting. I made sure I had the camera show exactly what I could see. If it's a storm, you can see more!

image.thumb.jpeg.a808cf614241e21138da872d910fe696.jpeg

• Like 2

Sheltered balconies are a great way to travel in Britannia class on a crossing because you can go out on your balcony in cold, windy or rainy weather, which will probably happen on a crossing.  And with the balcony, you get a lot of light into your stateroom.  Good choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2024 at 8:42 AM, Tbird58 said:

We're thinking of doing TA from Hamburg - NYC in Aug 2025.  I'm curious about the sheltered balcony cabins on QM2.  We had a sheltered balcony on Celebrity when we booked AQ and we weren't very happy with it, due to the noise above.  Any comments, suggestions, etc - I'd appreciate.  

Do not like sheltered balconies because when sitting down you cannot see the ocean unless you are a basketball player, on the other hand the balcony is very large and going across the Atlantic it may be cold to use but  in a storm it could be fun. Say hello to beautiful Oregon, and enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

Do not like sheltered balconies because when sitting down you cannot see the ocean unless you are a basketball player, on the other hand the balcony is very large and going across the Atlantic it may be cold to use but  in a storm it could be fun. Say hello to beautiful Oregon, and enjoy your trip.

I am not a basketball player (what’s basketball?), but I could see the sea if I sat up straight, but it’s nice enough to stand and lean if the sun is out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

Do not like sheltered balconies because when sitting down you cannot see the ocean unless you are a basketball player, 

Unfortunately being 1m86cm tall doesn't me make a basketball player, in fact I'm way too short to be a lock in rugby, but the photo above is what you see if you are in that height area. It isn't a lot, but that photo was on a calm day, if there was any weather there would be more to see.

2 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Unfortunately being 1m86cm tall doesn't me make a basketball player, in fact I'm way too short to be a lock in rugby, but the photo above is what you see if you are in that height area. It isn't a lot, but that photo was on a calm day, if there was any weather there would be more to see.

Well I am not nearly that tall, but could still see a bit, if, as I say, I sat up straight. Mainly, particularly as on my hols, I tended to loll.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Well I am not nearly that tall, but could still see a bit, if, as I say, I sat up straight. Mainly, particularly as on my hols, I tended to loll.

At least I don’t see rust in that photo!

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone for the great input!  Now I need to decide.  I'm a shorty, so I know I won't be able to see the water sitting down.  Thanks @Pushpit for the pic, it's not what I envisioned.   

• Like 1

Haven't commented as we've not had a sheltered balcony. One return crossing in a glass balcony on deck 12 and two more booked in same cabin.

We weren't on the balcony much and won't be in future. We won't be in the cabin that much either. There is too much to do on QM2 to be wasting time in a cabin.

I've done sheltered and they are nice! Being inset into the hull you can even go out on the balcony in rough weather and enjoy it to some extent (of course a big wave directly hitting that area would splash in). I've gotten nice pictures straight down the side of the ship with a sheltered room. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2024 at 2:23 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Celebrity does not have sheltered balconies, they do have a cabin where the balcony is totally part of your cabin.   There is a window that can be opened but that turns off your air conditioning or heat.

The one we had on Celebrity wasn't listed or sold as "sheltered".  It was in AQ and the platforms above us were out so far, we couldn't see the stars and very loud with people above us walking and moving chairs.