Cunard experience for Australians?

Sounds great with an interesting mixture of Asian, East Africa and South Africa ports  Two nights in Cape Town would be a highlight.  I think a balcony cabin on that cruise would be well worthwhile.  

Yes, it's a great trip to plan. So far, have discovered that flights to Singapore are only $30 more than flights to Darwin, and there are some very good deals on flights back to Australia.  Currently researching safaris from Johannesburg. It's complicated, and I have a dread of being caught in a mob of vehicles all queueing up to look at a big cat. Anyone have any tips?

18 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Yes, it's a great trip to plan. So far, have discovered that flights to Singapore are only $30 more than flights to Darwin, and there are some very good deals on flights back to Australia.  Currently researching safaris from Johannesburg. It's complicated, and I have a dread of being caught in a mob of vehicles all queueing up to look at a big cat. Anyone have any tips?

Be in the vehicle at the front?

If you can swing it go to a game reserve that borders Kruger NP, less vehicles as it is more private. We went to Sabi Sands and it was awesome, only 4 game drive vehicles for the whole property, Rarely saw another vehicle while on drive.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Earlier this year (Apr l) we did our 10th Cunard cruise - circumnavigation of Japan. We have always dressed up for these cruises (Tux for me) - but this time this cruise was just a prelude to a couple of weeks in Tokyo, so couldn't be bothered this time We decided to only eat in the Buffet at night , MDR for breakfast and Lunch when at sea. Cunard is much more than just dressing up - they are the only cruiseline with a Library (a proper Library) and their guest speakers leave the others for dead. The tone of a Cunard cruise depends on where it sails from - a lot of Japanese speakers for this one (but I noticed that they were definitely there for the Western food 🙂 ) For cruises sailing from any Australian port, passengers must wear shoes on Formal nights. . 🙂

Edited by bazzaw
  • Like 3

Thanks for the information, bazzaw A real library and good guest speakers sounds like what I would like on a cruise.

I'm glad I booked Cunard, and looking forward to the cruise next year.  I have been busy booking flights and accommodation, plus a safari in South Africa.

• Like 4

Where you will need a safari suit, which could also be worn ahead on Cunard.  You will leave fellow passengers awestruck and racing to the onboard  hire facility in fruitless endeavours to emulate your debonaire, intrepid tropical explorer identity..  Smooth sailing, fair winds, safe adventures.

• Haha 4

Thanks Mareblu. I wouldn't be seen dead in a safari suit!   Booking a safari is a fascinating thing to do. I did a lot of research. It is big business, with many competing companies and many different National Parks and game reserves to consider. In the end, I booked two different game reserves out of Johannesburg, with transfers between them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Nah, that's not a safari suit. The ones I remember had short sleeves and lots of pockets with flaps, and were in pastel colours. Very James Bond!safarisuit.thumb.jpg.db0c60abef4770de643668fcb73a75b4.jpg

Not necessarily. Yep, the illustration was the most popular with males, but I actually had two safari suits (I'm female btw 😄) back in the late 70's. Both long sleeved, one in burgundy with a  matching belt with a large gold buckle, and the other in raw cotton. They must have been the bees knees to somebody as the raw cotton one was stolen off my washing line much to my supreme disappointment and ire.

• Like 1

I still have one, bought on ebay prior to our 1st cruise. It is a lovely yellowy green colour, and early 70s vintage. It is quite "suit"able for formal nights on P&O and Carnival, or for a fun casual night on Princess.

No way I would be seen dead in it on Cunard though. I recall a few Aussies being banned several years back for asking if they were OK to wear on formal nights. Those on the Cunard board at the time were not amused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

I still have one, bought on ebay prior to our 1st cruise. It is a lovely yellowy green colour, and early 70s vintage. It is quite "suit"able for formal nights on P&O and Carnival, or for a fun casual night on Princess.

No way I would be seen dead in it on Cunard though. I recall a few Aussies being banned several years back for asking if they were OK to wear on formal nights. Those on the Cunard board at the time were not amused.

The Cunard board are all closely related to Queen Victoria?😆 BTW, Geoff, how about a piccie of the suit?🙂

Just now, ceeceeDee said:

The Cunard board are all closely related to Queen Victoria?😆 BTW, Geoff, how about a piccie of the suit?🙂

I have one somewhere. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, arxcards said:

I have one somewhere. 

I'll await publication with worm on tongue!😄 If you can't find the photo, I'll settle for a shot of the suit without you in it.

Edited by ceeceeDee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

Nah, that's not a safari suit. The ones I remember had short sleeves and lots of pockets with flaps, and were in pastel colours. Very James Bond!

I’ve been compared to lots of things over the years but never to James Bond! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I’ve been compared to lots of things over the years but never to James Bond! 🤣🤣🤣

Own it, my friend, own it! You can truthfully say 'I've been compared to JB'. No need to go into details. 😃

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

I’ve been compared to lots of things over the years but never to James Bond! 🤣

Not you, Sparky! I was referring to the professional model in the tasteful beige safari suit.

Just booked my airfares to and from the Cunard cruise, plus a deposit for the 7 days of safari. Very exciting!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Ah ye olde safari suit, I had one back in he 1970's.  If I wore one now on the streets of Moruya I would be locked up, lol.

safari-suit-1970s-fashion-GettyImages-506173899_770-720x379.jpg.9b57ab1a0407952252c3a55a51db5af4.jpg

All the men in Moruya would be green with envy, Les😉

• Haha 2