PASSPORT QUESTION

My husband and daughter are leaving on a cruise 8/5/24 going to Cozumel and Coco Cay, 5 night cruise.  His passport expires one month after he gets back and he does have his birth certificate which he will take.

My question is does anyone know if they can use his passport for checking in or will he have to use birth certificate.  He's hoping he can leave ship int he passport area to go quicker.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, brenderlou62 said:

My question is does anyone know if they can use his passport for checking in or will he have to use birth certificate. 

He can use the passport.

• Like 2

Even if there isn’t a requirement for a pp that is valid 6 months past the entry, are you willing to take a chance that the person you check in with knows that or not? 
This part of travel is entirely on you to get right. 

If it were me, I’d have a back up to make sure that you all travel. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Even if there isn’t a requirement for a pp that is valid 6 months past the entry, are you willing to take a chance that the person you check in with knows that or not? 

As stated in my post, he does have back up but would rather use passport.

3 hours ago, brenderlou62 said:

It sounded if you were asking if he should take is BC or not.  

I would rather use a PP, too, but to make sure we could board with a short one, I got an enhanced DL just incase the person at check in didn't like a PP that expired within 6 months.  

This is a document requirement where you can be just flat out denied boarding, and it's all the passenger's fault.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, brenderlou62 said:

I guess the point is to take both to be sure. If there would be question raised with the PP, the BC would be the valid back up.

Also not sure what you mean by "leaving ship in the passport area to go quicker".  Check in is exactly the same and with the same agents with or without a passport - there is no separate passport area. 

And once on board you don't need either a PP or a BC to disembark in any port of call.  You just need your SeaPass card and in some ports your drivers license or other valid photo ID to confirm by photo that you are who your SeaPass card says you are at the port boarding security area.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

58 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Also not sure what you mean by "leaving ship in the passport area to go quicker".  Check in is exactly the same and with the same agents with or without a passport - there is no separate passport area. 

At the end of the cruise, supposedly there is a different line for immigration for those with BC's versus passports.

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

I got an enhanced DL just incase the person at check in didn't like a PP that expired within 6 months.  

Unfortunately Enhanced DLs are only available in 5 northern border states.  My state only borders Canada via Lake Erie, so it doesn't qualify.  😞

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

At the end of the cruise, supposedly there is a different line for immigration for those with BC's versus passports.

Very possible as in recent years we have just walked off and gone through immigration without stopping based on facial recognition cameras only, but with passports on file used with the initial check in. Prior to that we would show our Passports to immigration.  Don't have any direct experience with BC's through immigration as we have used PP's for years. That process may in fact be different.

Thanks - I didn't pick up on that as their comment.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Here we go. Wrong information. Closed loop cruise going to those ports do not even need a passport and for you to say it's a risk just because the passport in hand expires in a month is rediculous.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brenderlou62 said:

My husband and daughter are leaving on a cruise 8/5/24 going to Cozumel and Coco Cay, 5 night cruise.  His passport expires one month after he gets back and he does have his birth certificate which he will take.

My question is does anyone know if they can use his passport for checking in or will he have to use birth certificate.  He's hoping he can leave ship int he passport area to go quicker.

Thanks

Ck in with passport. It's all he needs for that cruise. Taking BC is not needed.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Here we go. Wrong information. Closed loop cruise going to those ports do not even need a passport and for you to say it's a risk just because the passport in hand expires in a month is rediculous.

Are you willing to trust the person checking you in?  

And my information is correct, I’m suggesting hedging the bet if the port person is wrong. Given the risk of them being wrong is no cruise and loss of all money, it sure seems an easy task to have the BC in hand to get on the ship. Even if it’s a 1 out of 100 chance that the person is wrong, it’s so little effort to have it in hand. 

You call it ridiculous, I call it free insurance. They have the BC, and you can carry it with your PP for safety. 

Edited by alfaeric

5 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

And my information is correct, I’m suggesting hedging the bet if the port person is wrong. Given the risk of them being wrong is no cruise and loss of all money, it sure seems an easy task to have the BC in hand to get on the ship. Even if it’s a 1 out of 100 chance that the person is wrong, it’s so little effort to have it in hand. 

You call it ridiculous, I call it free insurance. They have the BC, and you can carry it with your PP for safety. 

This is nothing to do with trusting anyone since he is bringing both per my original post. Just wondering if he will be able to leave via the passport area instead of birth certificate area.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Meaning when he leaves the ship can he use the passport area instead of birth certificate area since he will have his passport but it expires in a month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brenderlou62 said:

This is nothing to do with trusting anyone since he is bringing both per my original post. Just wondering if he will be able to leave via the passport area instead of birth certificate area.

All you need to return to the US is an unexpired passport. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

You should give the person checking you in a little more credit for knowing what they're doing. Regardless, they have a supervisor who will know.

Please quote the last person (closed loop cruise going to OP ports) denied bording because passport was less than 6 months

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You should give the person checking you in a little more credit for knowing what they're doing. Regardless, they have a supervisor who will know.

Please quote the last person (closed loop cruise going to OP ports) denied bording because passport was less than 6 months

Dude, it's a piece of paper that is smaller than your PP to take.  Tell me why I'm so very wrong to hedge your bets?  It's just an opinion.  

Again, the odds are very, very slim, but the bad outcome is worth hedging your bets for.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, brenderlou62 said:

Meaning when he leaves the ship can he use the passport area instead of birth certificate area since he will have his passport but it expires in a month.

the issue is with the ports, not the US- so the only time it would be an issue is during check in.  Use the PP lane to disembark.

Edited by alfaeric

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Very possible as in recent years we have just walked off and gone through immigration without stopping based on facial recognition cameras only, but with passports on file used with the initial check in. Prior to that we would show our Passports to immigration.  Don't have any direct experience with BC's through immigration as we have used PP's for years. That process may in fact be different.

Thanks - I didn't pick up on that as their comment.

You have to have a passport to clear CBP via facial recognition 

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

The passport in question is 100% valid and legal for this particular closed loop cruise. There is nothing to debate, and no chance of being denied boarding. 

10 hours ago, brenderlou62 said:

Thanks

Hubby should use his passport to check in. 

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Dude, it's a piece of paper that is smaller than your PP to take.  Tell me why I'm so very wrong to hedge your bets?  It's just an opinion.  

Again, the odds are very, very slim, but the bad outcome is worth hedging your bets for.

there are no odds, LOL. Passport is all that's needed. That's why you get one!

Man, so much hate for such a simple suggestion to carry the BC (which the OP's husband is already doing, now).  It's almost as if I'm suggesting that they smuggle a bottle of booze in a shampoo bottle.

Geez.  Get over yourselves.  It's a piece of paper that will fit in your passport book.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Man, so much hate for such a simple suggestion to carry the BC (which the OP's husband is already doing, now).  It's almost as if I'm suggesting that they smuggle a bottle of booze in a shampoo bottle.

Geez.  Get over yourselves.  It's a piece of paper that will fit in your passport book.  

Funny you use the word, no one else. Your suggestion comes up every single time someone asks about a passport with an expiration of less than 6 months.