Panama Canal Views

Hello. We will be sailing on Rotterdam for a partial Canal trip. We would like to find a primo spot for the view as we approach the canal. Is there any public area forward that we can access? 

Thanks

Wasn't on the R'dam when we did the PC, but on ours the bow was opened and it was fabulous. I think that's what's done on the R'dam, too. I'm sure someone w/actual experience will chime in.

We really enjoyed it - hope you do, too.

As a frequent Panama Canal cruiser, both partial and full, the ideal location to enjoy the engineering marvel is from an aft-facing stateroom.  The next choice for a partial transit is from the Deck 9 aft Lido pool area with some shade, refreshments, loungers, etc.

From the aft, you will be able to see all of the canal operations, including following ships and avoid the crowd on the bow.  Since you will be going both directions during the day, you will miss nothing and be able to look straight down at the locks operations.

View from the bow

image.jpeg.6998aa3dbb9abd371828778ca00a430a.jpeg

Views from the aft

image.jpeg.249f54af0669fcaa89bcfdc529189eb2.jpeg

image.jpeg.6cde0b2afc4df6dcabb195246fc332ec.jpeg

image.jpeg.de67701e4a3ccf814ae4b5da3b2797e9.jpeg

image.jpeg.2693a1bc6acf2455325ea9d0ecfbca30.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

There is tons of info on the The Panama Canal board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/54-panama-canal/

Ideally, you need to be on the move. Being on the bow, or the other open, front facing decks for at least a little bit, is great. Being on the Promenade Deck for at least part of the rising or lowering is also a key moment, although it might be a little less dramatic a sight on the new locks, as opposed to the old locks.

Posted (edited)

I agree, there are interesting sights from many places on the ship. On Zuiderdam, the bow was opened to all passengers. It was also quite interesting to walk along the promenade deck - it seemed as if we could lean over and touch the side of the canal when the ship was low in the locks. It also gave a good chance to look more closely at the “mules” when the ship was higher in the locks.

When I worked long ago in the cruise industry I always recommended that people be aware of the hot sun while they spent time gazing at the whole interesting process. I use sun lotion and wear long sleeves and definitely a hat.

Don’t miss HAL’s traditional Panama Buns that morning.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Don’t miss HAL’s traditional Panama Buns that morning.

Great point!!

These buns are offered at breakfast and are not clearly marked to distinguish them from the other pastries.  Here is a photo of the custard and mandarin orange-filled buns:

image.jpeg.58936eb19a57796cb27f76cd4fe02571.jpeg

• Like 5

Wow. So many great ideas!

SDARCH, that is also a great place. Didn't think of that. But if it is busy up there then you have to relinquish at some point! Good side benefit after eating those buns.

Those aft views seem to be the ticket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drdaddy said:

SDARCH, that is also a great place. Didn't think of that. But if it is busy up there then you have to relinquish at some point!

@drdaddy wasnt crowed at all when I was on a jog going under the bridge entering from the Pacific.  the deck above the lido gives you great side views of the machines pulling you through the locks

Since you're on Rotterdam things will be a bit different since you will be going through the new locks.

Beyond the Crows nest I found 3 viewing sites that are appropriate for forward viewing.  The first is the very top deck that is accessed from deck 11 (only 1 of the 4 forward elevators) and then by a short stairway.  You can go all the way across and see the sides as well as the forward view:

approach.jpg

And more off to the side

saverpond.jpg

The bow is accessed from deck 5:

thebow.jpg

I liked a little porch on deck 6 where it was easier to get close to the railing:

6porch.jpg

For the aft the best places are probably the seaview pool and the deck above it.  Views from the side are more limited and a balcony may be good there.  You'll get to see one side going up and the other going back down.  Sadly, the promenade deck is not much of an option since the lifeboats must be pulled in to give the pilot an unrestricted view and there are only a few places by the doors where you can go out at all:

boatsin.jpg

You cannot even use that very narrow strip because it is roped off.

Roy

• Like 1

Having done the transit twice, I found the same situation both times.

Everyone wants to crowd onto the bow for the first one or two locks. After that passengers seem to move to other places and have even heard, "if you've seen one lock, you've seen them all,"

Last transit, there were even seats available on the bow after several locks had been passed through!

Are you on the Dec 8 itinerary?  I am!  I’ve managed to snag myself an aft verandah, and I am very excited!

I really want photos approaching the bridge, so my tentative plan is to be up super early to get a spot on the bow, where I’ll stay through the first lock, and then run back to my cabin for the other two. I may change that plan on the fly though, as I am sure that I’ll want to feed off the excitement of other people too. 

For those of you with experience:  about how long does each individual lock take?  There are 3, right (but we’ll do them twice)? 

PS.  I spent 2 weeks in Panama a few years ago. Miraflores Locks is my favorite museum in the world. I could have watched the ships there all day!  … But no one told me about Panama buns while I was there. I am super excited to try those. They sound amazing!!

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Since you're on Rotterdam things will be a bit different since you will be going through the new locks.

Beyond the Crows nest I found 3 viewing sites that are appropriate for forward viewing.  The first is the very top deck that is accessed from deck 11 (only 1 of the 4 forward elevators) and then by a short stairway.  You can go all the way across and see the sides as well as the forward view:

approach.jpg

And more off to the side

saverpond.jpg

The bow is accessed from deck 5:

thebow.jpg

I liked a little porch on deck 6 where it was easier to get close to the railing:

6porch.jpg

For the aft the best places are probably the seaview pool and the deck above it.  Views from the side are more limited and a balcony may be good there.  You'll get to see one side going up and the other going back down.  Sadly, the promenade deck is not much of an option since the lifeboats must be pulled in to give the pilot an unrestricted view and there are only a few places by the doors where you can go out at all:

boatsin.jpg

You cannot even use that very narrow strip because it is roped off.

Roy

Wow, so much for viewing from the Prom deck! Thanks for all this good info and photos. We’ll be on a 12-day Sunfarer Caribbean itinerary this time.

I’m looking forward to seeing the new locks in action after two previous cruises in the originals before the new locks began operating. 

• Thanks 1

We did that cruise 2 years ago, on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  The bow was open all day...it was VERY crowded going through the 1st time.  A photographer told me to come back on the way back...very few people, much better viewing.  We did walk around the ship for both transits.  The lower you get, the more you see how close you are! On the way back, we went on one of the small balconies above the big bow area.  There was shade up there.  Enjoy your cruise! 

2 minutes ago, quilty964 said:

We did that cruise 2 years ago, on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  The bow was open all day...it was VERY crowded going through the 1st time.  A photographer told me to come back on the way back...very few people, much better viewing.  We did walk around the ship for both transits.  The lower you get, the more you see how close you are! On the way back, we went on one of the small balconies above the big bow area.  There was shade up there.  Enjoy your cruise! 

The difference is you went through the old locks. The OP is on Rotterdam, and will go through the new locks. Difference experience.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The Rotterdam's top forward deck is the Sky Deck (14). You get to it by using the forward, port side elevators. The starboard side stop at deck 12. Alternately, you can take the outside stairs up from deck 12. Go out the doors that face the Retreat Cabana area and head up the steps.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Stpatsirish said:

Does anyone know which locks the Nieuw Amsterdam goes through?

Gatun Locks (old) for partial cruises. 

Edited by Crew News