“Production” numbers in Princess Theatre gone downhill

remydiva

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

What are variety shows?  Musicians aren't part of the production cast, i.e., don't rehearse together or part of the triple. 

If I recall correctly both Bravo and Encore are with the live band, and the violin duo as well as a guest singer.

4 minutes ago, TRLD said:

If I recall correctly both Bravo and Encore are with the live band, and the violin duo as well as a guest singer.

They're not part of the production cast, i.e., don't rehearse together, or are part of the triple.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

They're not part of the production cast, i.e., don't rehearse together, or are part of the triple.

They do rehearse Bravo and Encore with the production cast as well as the guest singer.  Usually in the afternoon before the show.  Was on a cruise where they forgot to shut the deck 6 door. I walked in, not realizing, that they were rehearsing. The showband, the 2 violinists, the guest singer and the production team were all there rehearsing Bravo. Primarily focusing on the guest soprano parts to get the timing and sound settings down.

Edited by TRLD

2 hours ago, lstone19 said:

I suspect some people are using the wrong terms for some of the shows. Production shows are the named shows with the resident company of four singers (2M/2F - the ones wearing or holding microphones) and 10 to 12 dancers) - on Ruby Princess (where I am now) they are Colors of the World, Stardust, and Magic To Do (which has an additional male singer who appears only to do that show). Then there are the guest entertainers. We’ve had three - a hypnotist, a female singer covering a number of different songs, and a male singer doing a Prince tribute show. Guest entertainers are only on the ship for a few days so these shows will vary from cruise to cruise. 

To me, a variety show has multiple artists each doing just one or two numbers (variety of performers). From my experience, they’re not typical on Princess although tonight we have a single performance of a “Farewell Variety Show” which is billed as having the resident company, guest entertainers, and officers. It strikes me as thrown together which makes me wonder if a planned guest entertainer had to cancel or missed the ship yesterday.

Sometimes they will also do a variety show on the first night, giving the passengers a brief view of the guest performers and a brief dance routine by the production cast.

2 hours ago, lstone19 said:

I suspect some people are using the wrong terms for some of the shows. Production shows are the named shows with the resident company of four singers (2M/2F - the ones wearing or holding microphones) and 10 to 12 dancers) - on Ruby Princess (where I am now) they are Colors of the World, Stardust, and Magic To Do (which has an additional male singer who appears only to do that show). Then there are the guest entertainers. We’ve had three - a hypnotist, a female singer covering a number of different songs, and a male singer doing a Prince tribute show. Guest entertainers are only on the ship for a few days so these shows will vary from cruise to cruise. 

To me, a variety show has multiple artists each doing just one or two numbers (variety of performers). From my experience, they’re not typical on Princess although tonight we have a single performance of a “Farewell Variety Show” which is billed as having the resident company, guest entertainers, and officers. It strikes me as thrown together which makes me wonder if a planned guest entertainer had to cancel or missed the ship yesterday.

Yes agree perhaps the word ‘production show’ I used is throwing some commenters off but that’s their term not mine

Maybe call it was it is .. Tribute montage performed by Princess singers and dancers and house band IMG_2498.thumb.jpeg.5350128c54754f704b365cfcb089a214.jpeg

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, remydiva said:

Yes agree perhaps the word ‘production show’ I used is throwing some commenters off but that’s their term not mine

Maybe call it was it is .. Tribute montage performed by Princess singers and dancers and house band IMG_2498.thumb.jpeg.5350128c54754f704b365cfcb089a214.jpeg

It is pretty much what production shows have been like on Princess for the last 20 years. The show themes change but the basic construct of a medley of songs based around a theme with singing and dancing in the same. It was the same with British Invasion, Around the World, The one with the route 66 theme and the pink car as a prop, ...

If anything some of the more recent additions have more of a storyline.

Edited by TRLD

This is what I have for the list of various Princess Production Shows

Blame it on the Boogie

Born to be Wild

Sweet Soul Music

Stardust

A Tribute to Motown

Spot Light Bar

Rock Opera

Bravo

5 Skies

The Secret Silk

Magic to Do

Encore

Uptown Boys

Fantastic Journey

Colors of the World

Let Us Entertain You

Do You want to Dance

I have not included in this list the new ones showing only on the Sun, I have not seen any of those.  Out of the ones on this list I have not seen The Secret Silk and 5 Skies.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I saw Secret Silk only once and absolute loved it.  I don’t even know if it’s still around.  I know there was some controversy surrounding it so, they may have pulled it.  ???   

Do tell more.

In spite of any controversy they still seem to be advertising it.

I would love to hear anything about it. I'm quite the Stephen Schwartz fan (I inherited it from my daughter) and, as you might guess from my avatar, admire the Jim Henson Creature Shop for their positive portrayals of amphibians.

On which cruises does one have a chance of seeing it? Because, let's face it, Rock Opera isn't opera and it doesn't really rock and it was hardly worth the effort to shove the ear plugs in.

5 hours ago, TRLD said:

They do rehearse Bravo and Encore with the production cast as well as the guest singer.  Usually in the afternoon before the show.  Was on a cruise where they forgot to shut the deck 6 door. I walked in, not realizing, that they were rehearsing. The showband, the 2 violinists, the guest singer and the production team were all there rehearsing Bravo. Primarily focusing on the guest soprano parts to get the timing and sound settings down.

Prior to the ship. Musicians aren't production cast, nor are they part of the triple. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Prior to the ship. Musicians aren't production cast, nor are they part of the triple. 

You had stated above that they did not rehearse with the production cast, for some shows they do.  I noticed you have now dropped the do not rehearse with from the same mantra you keep repeating.

They are not part of the production cast, but the Prince show band works with the production cast on at least some of the shows.  They are both part of the entertainment department.  Each is recruited by their own mechanism.

The show (house band) is recruited following this process

https://www.princesscruisesentertainment.com/audition-process/musicians

There used to be a company in New York that selected and trained the cast members prior to them being sent to a ship.  Coming out of Covid there was actually two companies doing this work.  Now it appears that Princess is directly interviewing the singers and dancers as well as the musicians.  There is no longer a mentioned of either company on the Princess web site.  In 2023 some shows were done by Belinda King Creative Productions (the second company).  These casts were smaller and according to one of Entertainment Directors was to fill a gap in the number of trained entertainers.

Edited by TRLD

13 hours ago, DeniseAtBeach said:

Hopefully you head to Port Everglades, NOT Miami to embark! We’ll be onboard too!

Yes. Oops 🤦🏼‍♀️ 😂 

My only excuse is I think my heads full of flight info at the moment. Flying London Heathrow to Miami Friday. Will definitely be going to Port Everglades to get on Enchanted!

looking forward to it. Hope you have a great crusie!

16 hours ago, TRLD said:

Keep in mind that Jennifer Hudson and a few others that have done quite well started on cruise ships.

Yes!

While I agree that the productions as a whole are not broadway/west end quality, how could they be. A show in the west end is usual there for months, set up for the one show with equipment top of the line

Production shows on Princess use the theatre 2 days a week

however to say that the cast are only on cruise ship because they are not good enough for the west end isn’t fair on a lot of them. Of course it can be true but many of the ones on Sky Princess last august would have not looked out of place in the west end at all.

competition for work in the west end Is FEIRCE. There are plenty of very good actors and actresses trying to get a break through and can’t. Either not enough prior experience or just plain unlucky in some cases

In all of the 30+ seperate west end shows I’ve been to (many more than once) I always buy a programme and I’ll sit there and read what work the cast have done previously. It’s pretty common to see cast in a west end show who have done shows on cruise ships

21 hours ago, vakamalua said:

I suspect you will never see a show on any cruise ship--Princess or on any other line--that is the level of the Broadway show.  Apples & oranges.  Keeping that expectation in mind, several of the ones we've seen on Princess had excellent concepts & execution including set design, vocal talent, choreography & costumes.  

Have you looked at NCL:

http://nclhcreativestudios.com 

12 hours ago, phroggie said:

Do tell more.

In spite of any controversy they still seem to be advertising it.

I would love to hear anything about it. I'm quite the Stephen Schwartz fan (I inherited it from my daughter) and, as you might guess from my avatar, admire the Jim Henson Creature Shop for their positive portrayals of amphibians.

On which cruises does one have a chance of seeing it? Because, let's face it, Rock Opera isn't opera and it doesn't really rock and it was hardly worth the effort to shove the ear plugs in.

I don’t know anything more. Perhaps there was a portion in there that they removed but I do recall reading something about having to pull it a couple of years ago.  I just know I loved it.  I cruise often but never far from home so, I only know I haven’t seen it on any of the ships from the west coast at this time.  
I do absolutely love Rock Opera .. it’s always a treat to see it, as the talent changes by the time we get a change to see it again.  It has changed a bit since I first saw it, and to me, in a good way.  I may not have a sophisticated appreciation of the arts and I highly doubt a great majority of Princess passengers possess that, either.  I do know what I love and I really love that show.  I don’t care for magic shows, but some people love them.  We all have different tastes, which is why there is a variety of events, shows and activities through the ship.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Yes!

While I agree that the productions as a whole are not broadway/west end quality, how could they be. A show in the west end is usual there for months, set up for the one show with equipment top of the line

Production shows on Princess use the theatre 2 days a week

however to say that the cast are only on cruise ship because they are not good enough for the west end isn’t fair on a lot of them. Of course it can be true but many of the ones on Sky Princess last august would have not looked out of place in the west end at all.

competition for work in the west end Is FEIRCE. There are plenty of very good actors and actresses trying to get a break through and can’t. Either not enough prior experience or just plain unlucky in some cases

In all of the 30+ seperate west end shows I’ve been to (many more than once) I always buy a programme and I’ll sit there and read what work the cast have done previously. It’s pretty common to see cast in a west end show who have done shows on cruise ships

There are a lot more people trying to make it as singers and dancers in the world than there are slots for them. Often the difference between those that make the big time and those that do not are as much a matter of skill as it is luck in finding that opportunity to break through.

• Like 2

We just got the entertainment schedule for our cruise and the following are labeled as Production Shows: 

Born to Dance

Fiera 

Bravo

Sweet Soul Music 

Last night is a Farewell Variety Show.

Any of the above you would recommend? We like shows with a story better than those that are just one song after the other, but except for Sweet Soul Music (which is a clear Motown tribute), I don't really know what to expect from those shows.

Posted (edited)

We are regular theatre attendees in Los Angeles and have also enjoyed a number of shows in NYC and London. Princess production shows have never been anywhere near that quality. That being said, especially depending on the talent on a particular cruise, some of the shows can be quite enjoyable for what they are, which is basically elaborate variety shows

My favorite will always be British Invasion. But some of the newer shows like Magic to Do, Rock Opera and Spotlight Bar are very good if the talent supports them. Honestly, Rock Opera should only ever be performed by Max Himmelreich, easily the best tenor and singer at sea. 

I find Five Skies kind of ridiculous - but at least it’s new. 

Princess offers a great opportunity for young performers coming out of musical theatre programs and I love supporting them. 

But for the most professional shows, NCL still takes the prize. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, TRLD said:

This is what I have for the list of various Princess Production Shows

Blame it on the Boogie

Born to be Wild

Sweet Soul Music

Stardust

A Tribute to Motown

Spot Light Bar

Rock Opera

Bravo

5 Skies

The Secret Silk

Magic to Do

Encore

Uptown Boys

Fantastic Journey

Colors of the World

Let Us Entertain You

Do You want to Dance

I have not included in this list the new ones showing only on the Sun, I have not seen any of those.  Out of the ones on this list I have not seen The Secret Silk and 5 Skies.

You left out the best production show we've ever seen on Princess:  On the Bayou specifically developed for the Coral and Island Princesses and their Universe Lounges.  We've seen it 3 times between 2007 and 2023 and still think it is the best.  Unfortunately, the Island's Universe Lounge was a victim of the aft remodeling some years ago and the show is now in the Princess theater.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRLD said:

Do not think so. Have not seen one on Princess in years.

We saw this on the Sapphire in 2022 on our Hawaii cruise from LA. The best crew show ever so much talent. Our waiter from dinner was phenomenal, he also sang to us in the dining room some nights.

17 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We saw this on the Sapphire in 2022 on our Hawaii cruise from LA. The best crew show ever so much talent. Our waiter from dinner was phenomenal, he also sang to us in the dining room some nights.

Who was your singing waiter?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We are regular theatre attendees in Los Angeles and have also enjoyed a number of shows in NYC and London. Princess production shows have never been anywhere near that quality. That being said, especially depending on the talent on a particular cruise, some of the shows can be quite enjoyable for what they are, which is basically elaborate variety shows

My favorite will always be British Invasion. But some of the newer shows like Magic to Do, Rock Opera and Spotlight Bar are very good if the talent supports them. Honestly, Rock Opera should only ever be performed by Max Himmelreich, easily the best tenor and singer at sea. 

I find Five Skies kind of ridiculous - but at least it’s new. 

Princess offers a great opportunity for young performers coming out of musical theatre programs and I love supporting them. 

But for the most professional shows, NCL still takes the prize. 

Max is the best tenor, by far. Nick is second, with the pipes. The rest, meh.

We are big supporters of local theatre too, having season tickets to Pantages, Ahmanson, Taper and attending performances at Walt Disney Concert Hall and The Ford. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Who was your singing waiter?

I'm terrible I remember the cabin attendant Miguel and his supervisor Angelina they were wonderful. But that's all maybe because they were in my review.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, latebloomer56 said:

I'm terrible I remember the cabin attendant Miguel and his supervisor Angelina they were wonderful. But that's all maybe because they were in my review.

We had a singing waiter on Sapphire from Peru who also sang in the variety show on the last day too. I mentioned him in the survey, but his name escapes me.